Archived I just got rejected for a job I didn't apply for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so last week I applied for an ETL position at my college. I was interviewed twice by two different STLs. The next day, I was emailed by the recruiter saying I would be moving on to another interview. Drove an hour to get to the interview & I thought it went extraordinarily well. I'm applying right out of college, but I have about 8 years experience in management and retail, and the STL and I got along very well.

He told me on Saturday that I would be hearing from the District Admin who organized my interview with him by this Wednesday. Most likely not earlier. Well, it's Monday & I just got the generic HR rejection letter.

Only problem is, it's a rejection letter telling me that I have not been selected for the position of "executive intern" which I never applied for. All the STL's, the recruiter, and even the District Admin wrote me down as applying for an ETL position, so I don't think it's just confusion on what job I actually applied for...(& I know that I would never be eligible for the internship, because I graduate in August, & thus, wouldn't be available at the time for the internship. That's why I didn't apply for it...)

So, what's going on here? Did I get rejected as an ETL and the job title is just a typo? Or is the entire rejection incorrect? After all, this is not how I was told I would hear back...& finally, what do I do from here? Wait until Wednesday to contact someone? Do I contact someone? If so, who?

Thanks in advance, guys. I was really hoping for this job and I'd hate to lose it based on some sort of misunderstanding.

EDIT: the rejection letter also specifies that I didn't get the job in a particular city...well, I never interviwed for a job in that city.

Last edited:
I would contact the HR you applied with? Just to confirm.
That's the thing though: I've had no correspondence with HR until this generic corporate HR email. I've only emailed the recruiter and the District Admin. I have both of their emails, & I have the DA's phone number. Don't know who of the two I should contact...

I would contact the recruiter if they are acting as a "gatekeeper", maybe the recruiter sent your application out to other stores to see who else might be interested in the area

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back