I make $1600 a month... how do I live?

Ringwraith917

Zone Police
Phone, water, power, rent, cable, insurance, credit cards, food, entertainment, clothing, gas, home/car/clothing maintenance expenses.
Start keeping an account of every time money leaves your hands. You're missing something big or many many small things

TTGOz

Suitable
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Phone, water, power, rent, cable, insurance, credit cards, food, entertainment, clothing, gas, home/car/clothing maintenance expenses.
Start keeping an account of every time money leaves your hands. You're missing something big or many many small things
yeah I don't have those things on there because I don't pay those. I'm gonna be starting to pay rent this year or move out and pay rent anyways.. but I still wear years old clothes, the only clothes I buy are for work and they're almost always a new pair of khakis. I don't hangout with friends, I don't go see movies. I have zero credit cards, only debt I have is with my car and I've only got like $600 to go to pay it off. I will be starting my own phone plan, I plan to go through Straight Talk with my plan in May.

Really the only unaccounted for expense is food and it's really more just an inaccurately represented expense. I don't eat out with my girlfriend because we buy our food from Target or my parents make dinner and are nice enough to let me eat a meal with them free. I have no subscriptions besides a gym membership.

I don't 100% track every single purchase because I don't really buy anything if it's not food. No credit cards, no subscriptions besides a gym membership, no rent, no utilities, no clothing costs, not a lot of car maintenance because I only need to change the oil every 3k-4k miles and I don't drive very far every day. Oil changes are only like $20 for me because I do it myself. Every car repair I've needed done.. I've done myself. Every regular monthly payment I can possibly think of went in, and it's not a lot. If I have any money left-over I just funnel it into investments. I just put another $300 into Stash and Robinhood.

I'm lucky I have parents that decided they would let me continue to stay home rent-free for this long, but I'm gonna start paying some rent soon. I'm a little surprised they didn't want me to pick up the phone bill for me, but I'll be getting my own plan come May. I drive a 2002 Dodge Durango RT so it's pretty reliable. Older trucks are always reliable. It's in near great condition, more than fair, but not perfect, and is probably worth about $3500 with low miles because I hardly drive anywhere. I'm going to probably sell it for a more economical car this summer. My parents are fine with keeping me on their medical and dental until the time runs out, I pick up the health bills... something I don't have to do more than once a year.

When I move out, for sure I'm going to have to pay more. Internet, rent, and utilities. I won't buy cable. Streaming is 100x more economical to me because I don't even watch TV.

Ringwraith917

Zone Police
You'll probably be short of money living on your own. You will need a roommate or your GF to move in to split bills. The missing $700 /month probably mostly goes towards savings but that flow will change direction with all the added bills if you live solo

TTGOz

Suitable
You'll probably be short of money living on your own. You will need a roommate or your GF to move in to split bills. The missing $700 /month probably mostly goes towards savings but that flow will change direction with all the added bills if you live solo
Spot on! I won't be moving out alone. I'd really like to move out into an apartment with a friend or two, or me and my girlfriend rent and rent out a second bedroom to a tenant. At the point of moving out, I'll be doing a consistent forty hour week job unless doing solo business works out, then I'll just be doing that.

Ringwraith917

Zone Police
For perspective, I "bought" a house for 112,000 zero $ down, 30 yr mortgage. Mortgage payment $808/mo. (Rent houses nearby go for 900-1200/mo.) 5k credit card debt, going down slowly but surely. Gf lives with me, pays half the mortgage and half utilities. Savings/investments basically nothing.

Last edited:

TTGOz

Suitable
For perspective, I "bought" a house for 112,000 zero $ down, 30 yr mortgage. Mortgage payment $808/mo. (Rent houses nearby go for 900-1200/mo.) 5k credit card debt, going down slowly but surely. Gf lives with me, pays half the mortgage and half utilities. Savings/investments basically nothing.
$808 a month, that's $9696 a year, $290880 for thirty years. Sounds about right for the bank if I'm understanding correctly. My hope is to one day have enough capital to put a cushiony down payment on a fifteen year mortgage contract on a house. I think I'm fine with renting an apartment out. If I can't ever afford to live on my own, I know I can rent a room from someone and be okay.

TTGOz

Suitable
Includes flood, mortgage and homeowners insurance and property taxes. Yeah they make money, but it's less than I'd spend renting for 30 years, and I have a house at the end
I love it.

Times Up

Formerly PassinTime
Includes flood, mortgage and homeowners insurance and property taxes. Yeah they make money, but it's less than I'd spend renting for 30 years, and I have a house at the end
And you can always pay it off early if your finances allow!

can't touch this

Store Meme Leader
I'm a retard for not realizing that signing up for the 5% 401k match can only be done during open enrollment, which I missed...RIP!!!

TTGOz

Suitable
I'm a retard for not realizing that signing up for the 5% 401k match can only be done during open enrollment, which I missed...RIP!!!
GET DAT INVESTMENT STARTED

I found out I'm actually contributing 6% of my paycheck to my 401k. At least that's what my Pay and Benefits said.

TTGOz

Suitable
do they match amounts over 5% then?
no idea, I had no idea how much I was even contributing. I calculated out that 3% was half of my last 401k deposit, so the other 3% must be Target. Maybe pay and benefits was just lumping it all together, so I'm probably just at 3%.

Militantagnostic

Former associate of the Targetti Crime Syndicate
If you can afford it, it's always best to at least put up your employers match, otherwise that's money you left on the table.

Times Up

Formerly PassinTime
Try to hit the maximum amount that Spot matches, more if you can swing it.

TIP: when that next pay increase rolls around bump up your 401k contribution another 1-2%. You won't notice it being deducted from your check because your raise will more than cover it, plus leave a little extra "bread" for you.

TTGOz

Suitable
If anyone has Amazon Prime, take advantage of that free Audible trial. I believe you get to free audiobooks...

About to start reading and listening to Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. Also checking out an interesting self-development book called "I Used to Be a Miserable F*ck: An Everyman’s Guide to a Meaningful Life"

should be interesting

TTGOz

Suitable
Ted and Bill has nothing on us