Archived I need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been with Target for about 10 months now. I'm in a sticky situation and don't know if I'm being realistic with myself. So I am a Hardlines TM and open most of the time. My SR. TL spends all of her time focusing on Softlimes and my ETL-SF spends most of his time in Grocery so that leads me to do literally everything in Hardlines with a Team Member pay. I do every single SPL, I delagate the tasks to people, I help keep the floor full by doing the manuals everyday and make sure Hardlines is overall looking spectacular. I am the kind of person who I really take pride in my work.

So my problem is I've been told by my ETL and STL that they love what I do in Hardlines, and all the effort I put in. The appreciate it and my ETL will occasionally throw in Team Lead comments here and there. So one day I got so tired of all of this and just straight up asked him. "What is my role here." He said basically I'm in development to be a Team Lead. Now normally I'd get that but rewind 2 months ago he said that. Now I've been told by multiple people that I'm ready to be a team lead. Now, there are no positions open for a Team Lead and I'm assuming none in my district. Can someone tell me if I'm just being used and taken advantage of? I feel exhausted and I get told by people that they are just using me. I'd hate for that to be true but I'd figure I'd ask you guys. Am I wasting my time? I literally do my SR TL's job with a pay of 10.16. Also, they have mentioned a bench scenario but never approached me about that either. So what's your guys opinion? Thanks!

Ask for a sit down with ETL and TL. You will go through an interview process to be put on the bench. Ask them for help prepping, and pin them down for a time frame. If they remain vague, they may just be using you. You need to know that you can be on the bench for a long time before a position opens up, but if you are on the bench, you can go anywhere in the district.

In the meantime, ask them to key you as Electronics--it is .50 more per hour.

Ask for a sit down with ETL and TL. You will go through an interview process to be put on the bench. Ask them for help prepping, and pin them down for a time frame. If they remain vague, they may just be using you. You need to know that you can be on the bench for a long time before a position opens up, but if you are on the bench, you can go anywhere in the district.

In the meantime, ask them to key you as Electronics--it is .50 more per hour.
Thank you. I will sit down with my ETL tomorrow. We both open, I just would hate to be used. I have previous management experience and I can go somewhere else but I just feel like I need answers... which I haven't gotten and they have been vague. But I will do that tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

Look on the site to see if they have any openings in other Targets around you, and then let your leadership team know. Understand and evaluate if others in the store are already on the bench to become Team Leads as this will affect how long you have to wait even if you make it to the bench.

If you really plan to make a career with Target, then you really don't have many immediate options but to research, wait and approach your leadership. On the other hand, with all the skills you've picked up, you can probably perk up your resume and move on to another company that will hopefully be more appreciative of your work ethics and abilities.

Look on the site to see if they have any openings in other Targets around you, and then let your leadership team know. Understand and evaluate if others in the store are already on the bench to become Team Leads as this will affect how long you have to wait even if you make it to the bench.

If you really plan to make a career with Target, then you really don't have many immediate options but to research, wait and approach your leadership. On the other hand, with all the skills you've picked up, you can probably perk up your resume and move on to another company that will hopefully more appreciative of your work ethics and abilities.
Well I do know at least in my store no one else is on the bench right now. I just didn't like how they keep saying I'm in development. I couldn't tell if it was a cop out or if they really plan to make a deal with me. Thanks for the advice!

Now, there are no positions open for a Team Lead and I'm assuming none in my district.
All good advice so far, but I wanted to add this: Check for yourself if there are any open positions in your area. Go on eHR from a store computer, go to other links > job postings > JAS (stores hourly), and look at leadership positions the might be available in other stores in your area. Doing it from in the store will show you more than doing it from the publicly accessible site.

If you find an open position, bring it up to your ETL and let them know you are interested and would like to apply.

All good advice so far, but I wanted to add this: Check for yourself if there are any open positions in your area. Go on eHR from a store computer, go to other links > job postings > JAS (stores hourly), and look at leadership positions the might be available in other stores in your area. Doing it from in the store will show you more than doing it from the publicly accessible site.

If you find an open position, bring it up to your ETL and let them know you are interested and would like to apply.
Thanks for this! I will definitely look into this tomorrow morning!

Like others have said sit down and talk with your etl. Tell him/her what you are interested in Ie, promotion etc. This way you both are on the same page. Leadership knows you want to be promoted and you can get a sense if they are serious or not. If you are serious about moving up and they see potential then it should be a good fit. Just don't let them drag it out . Spot has been known to dangle the carrot in front of people before.

Once upon a time, my store did the same exact thing to me. Everything was my responsibility with TM pay. I was also told I was being prepped to be a TL. This went on for about 6 months then one day they approached me and told me this is your interview date and this is the store it will be at. Once I was given my date and such, my ETL and TL then started prepping me for the actual interview. The rest is now history.

As far as positions there may be openings soon, such as a TL leaving or being promoted as well, or you will have to wait for that opening to occur.

Definitely talk to your ETL about this if it is of concern where you feel you are just being used in a sense however. Also ask the what should I be doing to be more prepared. What feedback do you have for me. What can I do to lead and such. They usually like these type of questions and see you are really interested.

When would you guys reccomend skipping the team lead position and going for etl?

I've been in a similar situation and my etl advised me that since I'm in school, to directly apply for an etl position so that I don't lose out on pay by going for team lead. I'm a logistics tm right now. I still have two years until graduation so I wanted to make sure I was in a place where I was working towards a goal which is why I thought being a team lead until I graduate and have a degree would be a better idea. It almost seems like your pay is higher if you leave Target, get experience elsewhere, and then come back and negotiate experience pay.

Do you guys have some insight on this?

Like others have said sit down and talk with your etl. Tell him/her what you are interested in Ie, promotion etc. This way you both are on the same page. Leadership knows you want to be promoted and you can get a sense if they are serious or not. If you are serious about moving up and they see potential then it should be a good fit. Just don't let them drag it out . Spot has been known to dangle the carrot in front of people before.
Thanks for your input!

Once upon a time, my store did the same exact thing to me. Everything was my responsibility with TM pay. I was also told I was being prepped to be a TL. This went on for about 6 months then one day they approached me and told me this is your interview date and this is the store it will be at. Once I was given my date and such, my ETL and TL then started prepping me for the actual interview. The rest is now history.

As far as positions there may be openings soon, such as a TL leaving or being promoted as well, or you will have to wait for that opening to occur.

Definitely talk to your ETL about this if it is of concern where you feel you are just being used in a sense however. Also ask the what should I be doing to be more prepared. What feedback do you have for me. What can I do to lead and such. They usually like these type of questions and see you are really interested.
This was a huge help! Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate and will use it for when I talk to my ETL.

When would you guys reccomend skipping the team lead position and going for etl?

I've been in a similar situation and my etl advised me that since I'm in school, to directly apply for an etl position so that I don't lose out on pay by going for team lead. I'm a logistics tm right now. I still have two years until graduation so I wanted to make sure I was in a place where I was working towards a goal which is why I thought being a team lead until I graduate and have a degree would be a better idea. It almost seems like your pay is higher if you leave Target, get experience elsewhere, and then come back and negotiate experience pay.

Do you guys have some insight on this?
It can vary I suppose, I promoted and within a year they are wanting me to promote again as an ETL.

I had the meeting and they basically told me that the mock interviews are starting in the coming weeks and made it clear that I was serious. My ETL insured me that everything was still in the plan and recognized my hard work. So I guess getting ready for these mock interviews and that process is a good sign right?

Mock interviews can drag on for weeks if they wanted it to. What you need are concrete dates. That's the only way to be sure and to hold accountability in a place where too often I see too little.

So I've been with Target for about 10 months now. I'm in a sticky situation and don't know if I'm being realistic with myself. So I am a Hardlines TM and open most of the time. My SR. TL spends all of her time focusing on Softlimes and my ETL-SF spends most of his time in Grocery so that leads me to do literally everything in Hardlines with a Team Member pay. I do every single SPL, I delagate the tasks to people, I help keep the floor full by doing the manuals everyday and make sure Hardlines is overall looking spectacular. I am the kind of person who I really take pride in my work.

So my problem is I've been told by my ETL and STL that they love what I do in Hardlines, and all the effort I put in. The appreciate it and my ETL will occasionally throw in Team Lead comments here and there. So one day I got so tired of all of this and just straight up asked him. "What is my role here." He said basically I'm in development to be a Team Lead. Now normally I'd get that but rewind 2 months ago he said that. Now I've been told by multiple people that I'm ready to be a team lead. Now, there are no positions open for a Team Lead and I'm assuming none in my district. Can someone tell me if I'm just being used and taken advantage of? I feel exhausted and I get told by people that they are just using me. I'd hate for that to be true but I'd figure I'd ask you guys. Am I wasting my time? I literally do my SR TL's job with a pay of 10.16. Also, they have mentioned a bench scenario but never approached me about that either. So what's your guys opinion? Thanks!

Being a TL requires you to be global. I know you take care of HL but you would be expected to know the other work centers as you are 1st to respond to back ups or grab unanswered call boxes. I would express your interest so you can get the ball rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back