Archived I only get cashier shifts and I want to get SCO shifts again or move to guest service, but my leaders don’t take me seriously. What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. So I’ve been at target for 4+ years already and I’ve only worked cashier shifts most of my time there. I’ve had tons of shifts at SCO, guest service, OPU, and have even covered almost entire shifts as GSA because the actual GSA would be busy and hand me the keys and the schedule and let me handle it for them. I literally know everything, but now that the system has changed and we got a new leader, I only get 5 hour cashier shifts and it seems impossible to get them to schedule me anywhere else.

I really feel like it’s such a downgrade, especially since I see new people come and they get trained and get shifts up there their first week. Literally I think everyone out of all the new people gets actual consistent shifts up there and what do I get? Zip, just cashier shifts lol. And when I ask they always brush me off with “eventually everyone’s going to have shifts up there.” But I still haven’t and they said that was supposed to start this month.

How can I ask them to please give me shifts there or if I can move up to guest service or SCO again permanently this time, but so that they actually listen to me? Any tips on how you were able to achieve this would be appreciated.

Everyone I literally started working with is in guest service permanently now and I’m stuck in the same spot still and it’s starting to feel like because my performance must really suck that bad or something, even though I get compliments often and was good with getting red cards in the past when it mattered. These coworkers performance is literally the same as mine at best, the only thing they really complained about for me was the fact that I don’t talk loud enough, which I’ve improved on a lot since then.

What discourages me even more is when I said something about us all starting our jobs around the same time one of them made a snarky comment saying “yeah you’ve been here that long and you’re STILL a cashier.” They’re really stuck up at guest service and I really want that to change, I would love for them to be a little more humble when they speak to me, because it seems they look down on me for my position. I’m going to try to talk to them today, but I’m scared they’ll just brush me off again, and I’m probably just not being assertive enough. Idk what to do, please help. :/

Last edited:
When you do get a cashier shift WOW them.
Let them see you exceeding guests expectations. Guest buying something fragile, offer them paper to wrap it. Don't ask the guest if they want it, go grab the paper and just offer it to the guest. Keep on top of BOB & LISA. See something suspicious, let AP know. In some stores, AP can influence who does or does not work SCO.
Really bring your A game, you're bound to be noticed.

The longer you stay at Spot, the more Spot hopes you put in your two weeks. Don't kid yourself about seniority... Target doesn't like seniority.
I honestly feel like that’s what they’re trying to do. I am currently on the hunt for another job relating to what I’m currently studying at school but rn target is highest paying in my area and my current level of experience. I don’t want to leave just yet until I find something else but boy am I tired of cashiering and my leaders and coworkers being condescending

When you do get a cashier shift WOW them.
Let them see you exceeding guests expectations. Guest buying something fragile, offer them paper to wrap it. Don't ask the guest if they want it, go grab the paper and just offer it to the guest. Keep on top of BOB & LISA. See something suspicious, let AP know. In some stores, AP can influence who does or does not work SCO.
Really bring your A game, you're bound to be noticed.
I have been doing all that. It doesn’t seem to change anything. I keep wondering, if it’s not my performance, than what makes me different from the others? The only thing I get is compliments here and there and “free Starbucks!” I don’t really like Starbucks anymore because of that lol

Find out who is actually writing the schedule for the front. In my store it's an HR tm. Hit them up and tell them you know the work center well and would be happy to take shifts and call outs. Say it on Fridays to hr and your leads so they'll remember going into the weekend.

If your front end is like ours there are call outs a plenty. Take what they offer, even cashier shifts, so your leadership sees you as a team player and saving them when they need it.

Also, notice what's going on...is anything running out? Offer to fill it. Or fill it and let them know. Always be offering red cards..always, even if they are just buying gum. I got one once on a gum sale!

It really isn't about how long you've been there but about getting noticed for going above and beyond and having a good attitude about it all.

How are your metrics? I don't put someone at SCO or SD who can't pull in REDcards or display amazing service. Especially at SCO, my biggest pet peeve is when advocates just stand and wait for something to happen. My DSD only wants the best people at these stations, someone who will approach every guest and tell them about our loyalty programs and pull in the REDcard apps.

Better get used to cashiering they ain’t gonna move ya. They want you to suffer so you will they you will leave. Besides Tarshit doesn’t like complainers they make complainers suffer the most. Also they are lazy and don’t want to train.

How are your metrics? I don't put someone at SCO or SD who can't pull in REDcards or display amazing service. Especially at SCO, my biggest pet peeve is when advocates just stand and wait for something to happen. My DSD only wants the best people at these stations, someone who will approach every guest and tell them about our loyalty programs and pull in the REDcard apps.

Ok I have been thinking about this all day. How do you sell a redcard at SCO? Have you ever actually gotten someone at SCO to say "yeah sign me up'?

Ok I have been thinking about this all day. How do you sell a redcard at SCO? Have you ever actually gotten someone at SCO to say "yeah sign me up'?

Yes, I've had a few this year actually. Maybe it was luck of the draw, who knows. But I just ask every person who appears to be old enough to apply. Someone is bound to say yes eventually.

Yes, I've had a few this year actually. Maybe it was luck of the draw, who knows. But I just ask every person who appears to be old enough to apply. Someone is bound to say yes eventually.

What do you usually say to them?

What do you usually say to them?

I start with the usual “Hi, did you find everything you were looking for” etc while they make their way to the SCO unit. Then I ask if they’re using a REDcard. Most of the time it’s “No, not interested” and then I say “Okay, let me know if you need help!” And move on to the next. Then there’s the guests who say “is that the credit card?” And I explain it is also debit, which is how I got my first one this week. She happened to have a check. I usually get between 1-3 a week doing that, but that is in 40 hours so I know it isn’t super common. I just need my advocates to tell them about it at SCO, that’s what I’m paying them for.

I start with the usual “Hi, did you find everything you were looking for” etc while they make their way to the SCO unit. Then I ask if they’re using a REDcard. Most of the time it’s “No, not interested” and then I say “Okay, let me know if you need help!” And move on to the next. Then there’s the guests who say “is that the credit card?” And I explain it is also debit, which is how I got my first one this week. She happened to have a check. I usually get between 1-3 a week doing that, but that is in 40 hours so I know it isn’t super common. I just need my advocates to tell them about it at SCO, that’s what I’m paying them for.

i love you

basically this

too many advocates basically just use sco shifts as an opportunity to not interact with folks when they should be doing the exact opposite

i think people who are just assuming that our guests at self-checkout don't want to talk to a team member haven't actually tried to talk to a guest at self-checkout.

our guests WANT to be engaged. people love having friendly conversations and that's like 90% of an advocate's job!

cheers2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back