I think I ended up with a gift card I requisitioned?

Hey there! So the other day, I was leaving work at night (8:30 ish). And when I went to grab my bags from the checkout advocate, he gave me a gift card that was just lying there next to the card reader. We joked about how it probably didn’t have anything on it and and I bent the card and put it in my bag or pocket to throw away. I don’t remember which. But when I got home and was changing, I felt that card in my pocket and was going to throw it away, but I thought I should just scan it to see what’s on it, which was probably nothing, in the circle app. Well, I scanned it and it had $10 on it. So I got to thinking, why did it have money on it and why was it just laying there? Then It hit me, I was helping a guest a lot earlier in the day and she couldn’t get the coupon to work for her $10 gift card with purchase of laundry detergent or some deal that we had. Me, being the gstl, went to requisition her one, but after I had, she said somehow she got it to work. So I put it on the little ledge next to the card reader because I may have needed to give it to someone else later in the day. We have the plexi glass shields up, so nobody could take the card unless it was handed to them. So I think the card the advocate gave me was the same one sitting there from earlier in the day. Now it’s on my app and I’m pretty sure I used it on my break earlier today getting food from the cafe and didn’t think about this until now. I’m super worried I’m going to get fired because of this. I know target tracks gift card activations for team members and if they use their team member discount with it, it will flag and they get written up for it. So am I going to lose my job over this? I’m so worried I can’t eat sleep drink or sleep. Do requisitioned gift cards flag the same if the one who requisitioned it uses it?

Why would you put it in your bag or pocket to throw away when the trash is right there?

In the future, requisitioned gift cards that don't end up in the guests hands should be given to the SETL or to GS. I have had TMs give them to me and I have held it in my hand for 30 minutes before I could put it in the drawer at GS

btw, I don't requisition gift cards, I just coupon them out. Do you have to req them under the new pos (we reverted to old pos because new pos was a pos)? That could get annoying.

I put it in on the desk right away with a sticky note to check later. I don't want it in my hands for any longer than necessary.

I don't think GS has new POS yet so a gift card should only be a coupon situation.

BTW...Several TMs have been fired at my store for exactly this situation.

btw, I don't requisition gift cards, I just coupon them out. Do you have to req them under the new pos (we reverted to old pos because new pos was a pos)? That could get annoying.
I also coupon them. New pos has a button that is literally “issue gift card” that you hit, type an amount, and it generates a GC. one of the only things on new pos I truly love

I came clean to my store director as soon as I came in yesterday. He said he would get with HR and AP in the store involved. Later in the day, I was called in the office to speak to AP and the HR etl. They asked me questions such as, has a team member offered me a gift card before and I said no. Then they asked if I had used any gift cards in the last 60 days and if I use them often. Truth is, I know I’m getting fired over this because I’ve used other gift cards that guests have left behind at the service desk. I’m the SETL up front and my plan was to use them on the team but when I got home I realized they were still in my back pocket so I added them to the app. In the last 60 days I’ve used $173 in gc’s from the store. They said I would get a response from the HRBP in a day or two regarding what the consequences are. I’m assuming they asked about the last 60 days so they can go back and track everything? My question is this, and please don’t be rude with your responses because I have diagnosed OCD and I haven’t been able to eat or sleep since this happened, but will I be going to jail? Yes, I know I deserve what’s coming to me, but just be real with me.

Why keep lying if this is a real story? After admitting that you've been stealing gift cards for a while, you still minimize by talking about putting them in your pocket and later "realizing" they were there, and also the lie about "use them on the team."

You're in a strange valley of dishonesty here where it becomes difficult to tell delusional lying (which probably requires psych help) apart from slightly clever trolling.

I came clean to my store director as soon as I came in yesterday. He said he would get with HR and AP in the store involved. Later in the day, I was called in the office to speak to AP and the HR etl. They asked me questions such as, has a team member offered me a gift card before and I said no. Then they asked if I had used any gift cards in the last 60 days and if I use them often. Truth is, I know I’m getting fired over this because I’ve used other gift cards that guests have left behind at the service desk. I’m the SETL up front and my plan was to use them on the team but when I got home I realized they were still in my back pocket so I added them to the app. In the last 60 days I’ve used $173 in gc’s from the store. They said I would get a response from the HRBP in a day or two regarding what the consequences are. I’m assuming they asked about the last 60 days so they can go back and track everything? My question is this, and please don’t be rude with your responses because I have diagnosed OCD and I haven’t been able to eat or sleep since this happened, but will I be going to jail? Yes, I know I deserve what’s coming to me, but just be real with me.
If it's only $200 you probably aren't going to jail, but they might call the cops anyways to make a nice example of you. I would.

Your admitting to $173 on here. I'll bet you have done more than that. AP will dig. Were you requisitioning things as well? Adjusting prices? Rewraps? It's all tracked. As an SETL were you an external hire? How long have you worked for target? I can't believe you didn't know this was really bad all along.

I'm sorry that you made a mistake. If u didn't come forth with the truth now and if no one stopped you, would you keep doing it? Or would you stop because guilt can eat a person up? We all have done stupid stuff. If u learn from this, that will be way more beneficial than to keep doing it. And you can , in the future, tell others that they should not do things like what u did, because the outcome is very understandable. You will be the expert and feel good that you tried to save someone from doing the same stupid stuff you did.....

Sorry you felt it needed to do that. There is always a way/a better alternative for stuff like this rather than stealing. I'd just go ahead and start putting in those applications now, and hope your next place doesn't call asking why you were let go. In the future, ask. There's always someone willing to help/support. Don't do it again, and learn from this experience.

They asked me questions such as, has a team member offered me a gift card before and I said no. Then they asked if I had used any gift cards in the last 60 days and if I use them often. Truth is, I know I’m getting fired over this because I’ve used other gift cards that guests have left behind at the service desk.
They have already been watching you, and wanted to see if your accounting matches theirs. HRBP is consulted to make sure there is enough to fire you. There is no chance you will be arrested if all is as you said.

Keep your health as top priority and stop worrying, it won’t change or solve anything. What will be will be, be an adult and deal with it and move on.

Since there is SO much more to the story than you originally told - yes, for certain you WILL be fired - they are stalling because as a TL they need HRBP to agree - with the new story and your admitted guilt, they certainly will. If they catch you for a LARGE amount you may have to go to court but no worries - you likely will NOT go to jail as long as you agree to pay it back. (Years back someone stole LOTS from the cash office and had no jail time - just a record and an agreement.)

You know what you did was wrong. You couldn’t stop because it was so easy. You started to feel guilty - maybe because you were somehow aware that they were on to you ? Stealing is BAD, Target is a big company, they have more ways than you can imagine to track all kinds of stuff - markdowns, price switching, price changing, gift cards, held/hidden merchandise...anything a TM can do to be dishonest has been done before and IS tracked. Sometimes TM’s are caught right away (we fired a fulfillment tm for stealing his very FIRST day!) and sometimes they let you “get away” with it till the case is large enough to press charges.

You were in a leadership position - trusted with more authority than a TM - not surprising they gave you time to be in MORE trouble.
Stop lying NOW. “You put it in your pocket and MEANT to use it for the team” !!?? That is NOT how it’s done !! - c’mon, you KNEW that !

There WILL be consequences, but you WILL survive. There will be fields of work you are no longer qualified for, so maybe learn a trade.

Wow such a plot twist. If you are a leader and did this, it's safe to say you will definitely be fired or put on a final. Now Ap is going to review EVERYTHING you have done and will do until they get a resolution.

Back