I'm a useless team member :/

UboatOfDeath

The time frame vs reality
Today I got my ass kicked by the workload assigned to me for furniture...
It's been a persistent issue as of lately ever since my shift leaders started enforcing the idea that I have to push "hearth and hand" and "front of the store"...

I just can't keep up with it anymore, I'm so stressed out that I brace for cover everytime I see a oversized pallet with mixed hearth and hand, home decor, furniture items & front of the store case packs...

It doesn't help that they expect me to push and back stock everything, including the heavy furniture!

They can expect all they want, do your best. Depending on what you want from Target this too shall pass..
Edit: I want all of you to remember this, beggars can’t be choosers. Target has backed itself in to a corner because of hiring and retention practices. YOU have the upper hand.

Last edited:
Show up and try your best every day and you will be successful. Most people don't really care that much and wouldn't even show up at all so the fact that you are persistent and just show up and try every day will say a lot to your leaders.
I'd also speak with your Team Lead or ETL about your concerns with the workload and see what they say.
As far as the front of the store being sorted with Hearth & Hand and furniture I don't know how your store is set up but that doesn't sound very smart to have product that is located in a totally different part of the store with the front of the store product. That's probably something that could be fixed with how your custom blocks are set up on the line or maybe they're just not sorting it right when it's coming off the truck.
Another thing is maybe a custom block doesn't exist at all for those sections so they just randomly throw it on a pallet.
Also, I want to add in...when it comes to the heavy furniture if it's more than 40-50lbs that's a mandatory team lift so you are obligated to get help with moving those items. Just call it out every time you need a team lift on the walkie and someone should respond to help you so you don't hurt yourself.
And you're not a useless Team Member I'm sure, so I wouldn't tell yourself that.

Sounds like you're headed down the road to burn-out, and that's not good for you or Target. I agree with @TheClopen about talking to your TL - ask for some help in organizing your work load. Are there ways to be more efficient with your time? What about getting help with team lifts (putting your back out is a really bad idea) consistently from one or two people who are in nearby areas? Maybe you can organize your heavy stuff a bit so one TM could help you with 3 or 4 at a time.
Maybe your store is set up differently than mine, but at my store, Hearth & Hand is nowhere near the front of the store and different TMs are responsible for each. But if you're responsible for both and they aren't that close to each other, see if you can organize your tasks so you're not constantly running back and forth. Work one area until it's done or mostly so and you can leave it in decent shape, then move on.
Maybe someone else can help with the back stock. Sometimes, I have to leave mine to pile up until we get a small truck and I can catch up. Occasionally, someone else takes pity on me and does some of it (which is a bummer, because I actually like doing my own - lets me keep tabs on my back stock and gets me off the floor for a bit).
If you're doing your best, that's really all you can do for work. But you need to take care of yourself too.

Ditto all above!

UboatOfDeath, I feel like this a lot. But if my team lead isn't teaching me how to meet his goals, he's not doing his job.

Meanwhile, I'll keep showing up!

Last edited:
It's been a persistent issue as of lately ever since my shift leaders started enforcing the idea that I have to push "hearth and hand" and "front of the store"...

I just can't keep up with it anymore, I'm so stressed out that I brace for cover everytime I see a oversized pallet with mixed hearth and hand, home decor, furniture items & front of the store case packs...

It doesn't help that they expect me to push and back stock everything, including the heavy furniture!
Because this company doesnt give a fuck, That’s why so many people at my store left, My store is just like the majority of Target stores, incompetent and unorganized as fuck. Better off finding a new job homie. Do what you can and if they don’t respect your hustle, You need to quit and get out before they fuck you over even more.

Corporate's, and susequently your Leader's, goals are 3 times what the best employee can ever accomplish. It's a tactic to make you work harder, but if you do your best you'll almost never hear anything about not making your goal. They know it's not feasible... oldest management trick in the book. Don't sweat it. Most of my store spends 90% of their days just fucking off and yet they're still there...

Show up and try your best every day and you will be successful. Most people don't really care that much and wouldn't even show up at all so the fact that you are persistent and just show up and try every day will say a lot to your leaders.
I'd also speak with your Team Lead or ETL about your concerns with the workload and see what they say.
As far as the front of the store being sorted with Hearth & Hand and furniture I don't know how your store is set up but that doesn't sound very smart to have product that is located in a totally different part of the store with the front of the store product. That's probably something that could be fixed with how your custom blocks are set up on the line or maybe they're just not sorting it right when it's coming off the truck.
Another thing is maybe a custom block doesn't exist at all for those sections so they just randomly throw it on a pallet.
Also, I want to add in...when it comes to the heavy furniture if it's more than 40-50lbs that's a mandatory team lift so you are obligated to get help with moving those items. Just call it out every time you need a team lift on the walkie and someone should respond to help you so you don't hurt yourself.
And you're not a useless Team Member I'm sure, so I wouldn't tell yourself that.
My shift leader had a one on one conversation with me earlier today as to why I couldn't meet the time frame. I had told him that on the line when other team members sort out the case packs home decor/hearth and hand, furniture & front of the store the custom blocks for those departments are flubbed making it very easy for my co workers to mix the pallets since most of them are not familiar with those areas. However, I talked to my overnight manager about it when it was first implemented and told him that custom blocks where skewed for various departments (other people complained too) but he just didn't really care or wasn't aware of how BIG OF A PROBLEM it was.
At my store. The Front of the Store, Hearth and Hand, Decorative Home & Furniture aisles are nearby one another especially in the order that I listed it in... but the area is so big that pushing those departments individually would take for ever especially since hearth and hand, and front of the store aisles have no barcodes or aisle indicators... which means those two departments have to be pushed in a specific way or flexed. Hearth and hand used to have a print out with a picture indicating what items where supposed to belong on certain shelves but that sheet of paper is no longer there.

I also explained to my shift leaders that many things contribute as to why I cannot meet my time frame:
-the repacks from domestics can have decorative home items, hearth and hand, or even front of the store items... whoever is pushing there drops off those items (usually unsorted) in a cart further increasing the workload at hand
-detrashing can be time consuming obstacle, especially since they don't want the styrofoam and plastic wrappings in a big box... they want said recyclable items in plastic bags which can almost always be found in the janitorial equipment room... But if I take the time to find plastic bags would take away time that I'm pushing on the sales floor
-if there are days where I don't push hearth and hand or the front of the store... I have to sort out those pallets because they might contain case packs for home decor or furniture items that I'm supposed to push... But if I don't sort it out someone from dayside will surely complain about why those pallets have items that I'm supposed to push...

Overall, I told that shift leader...
That if the department I push in gets neglected because of various contributing circumstances, it will greatly affect the way I push in that department. Making it very difficult to push and or meet expectations.

You aren't useless. Not even close. It sounds like you've been given some of the most difficult areas to stock in the store. They aren't going to give you that if they think you're useless. You get that because you are trusted to get more of it done than anyone else. That doesn't necessarily mean you are expected to get it all done everyday. Just do what you can. The more you can do, the less they'll need to have someone else help. That's what they want: not having to use two TMs for the areas as much.

My shift leader had a one on one conversation with me earlier today as to why I couldn't meet the time frame. I had told him that on the line when other team members sort out the case packs home decor/hearth and hand, furniture & front of the store the custom blocks for those departments are flubbed making it very easy for my co workers to mix the pallets since most of them are not familiar with those areas. However, I talked to my overnight manager about it when it was first implemented and told him that custom blocks where skewed for various departments (other people complained too) but he just didn't really care or wasn't aware of how BIG OF A PROBLEM it was.
At my store. The Front of the Store, Hearth and Hand, Decorative Home & Furniture aisles are nearby one another especially in the order that I listed it in... but the area is so big that pushing those departments individually would take for ever especially since hearth and hand, and front of the store aisles have no barcodes or aisle indicators... which means those two departments have to be pushed in a specific way or flexed. Hearth and hand used to have a print out with a picture indicating what items where supposed to belong on certain shelves but that sheet of paper is no longer there.

I also explained to my shift leaders that many things contribute as to why I cannot meet my time frame:
-the repacks from domestics can have decorative home items, hearth and hand, or even front of the store items... whoever is pushing there drops off those items (usually unsorted) in a cart further increasing the workload at hand
-detrashing can be time consuming obstacle, especially since they don't want the styrofoam and plastic wrappings in a big box... they want said recyclable items in plastic bags which can almost always be found in the janitorial equipment room... But if I take the time to find plastic bags would take away time that I'm pushing on the sales floor
-if there are days where I don't push hearth and hand or the front of the store... I have to sort out those pallets because they might contain case packs for home decor or furniture items that I'm supposed to push... But if I don't sort it out someone from dayside will surely complain about why those pallets have items that I'm supposed to push...

Overall, I told that shift leader...
That if the department I push in gets neglected because of various contributing circumstances, it will greatly affect the way I push in that department. Making it very difficult to push and or meet expectations.
You are doing amazing and your leadership is failing you . They need to be out there pushing a flat of b-block alone to understand the fucking time consuming with all the stirs foam and shit and then they can come back and ask you again how you are not meeting their timelines . They are in Lala land if they thing a person can do all those departments in 8h plus returns plus zoning.

It took me well over a decade to learn not to put my self worth on q company that gets its kicks on abusing mental health. On a company that takes those that have self woeth and drive and enjoys grinding them down until thry feel like bruised bloodied beaten playground kids.
No you are not useless.
Have an open conversation with a leader you trust about the situation but do not let this company try and put your self worth on their playground. You are doing just fine. You are doing your beat. And that is moree than enough.
Retail in general is an abusive selfish capitalistic driven demon. Thats it. It is nothing special. Dont let it pretend to be. Keep pushing. Make your own time goals for whatever you do. And meet those. Screw their expectations.
Small example. My only goal when I come in is to get half of rtw done by 8. Thats it. Anything more than that cool I am ahead of myself. Get wildfable done by 930? Hell yeah thats a good day! Other than that if I am in universal thread by 8 I met my own goal and I feel accomplished.
I dont care about their truck. Their reshop. Their backup thats THEIR problem. There is NO team because of their making us focus on individual dept so this team crap doesnt exist. Get ypur own do your own meet your own goals and speqk to that.
As you can see you have alot of support here and we all know you are doing your best. Keep strong and keep getting on.

Back