Archived I'm training for Receiving and have some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a hard time finding a fool-proof way to determine when to use ADSD and RECV to check in the vendors. If there's any noob ways of knowing when to do one or the other please share. One receiver told me to use ADSD if it was the large single barcode and RECV for the individual items, while another told me not to follow those rules and to use ADSD for the big vendors (Pepsi, Coke, Kellogs, Nabisco, etc.) and RECV for the smaller ones.

I was told that I had to create a Bill of Lading for vendor credits and everything else that leaves the store, but I'm not sure how. Is it the same process as the Bill of Lading for Sweeps, i.e. "Manage Bill of Lading" on WorkBench? I know there's a seperate Bill of Lading process for Merchandise Transfers that has to go through Store Applications instead of WorkBench, but I was told I normally wouldn't have to do that.

There's also a few things about liquor. Yesterday a few bottles fell off of a poorly built pallet of liquor and my receiver was telling me that we dispose of the beer but keep the bottles to send back to the vendors or something? And the beer invoices are kept seperate in a red folder? I'm not too clear on that.

Also, this might seem like kind of a silly question but what are the differences between Recalls and MIRs? I helped with the MIRs for the week and we shipped them out via UPSD, but that's about it. All I really know how to do is check the Merchant Initiated Returns that are Ready to be Started on WorkBench.

The reason I'm turning to you guys for answers is because they're only giving me a few days of training and they're mostly seperated. I won't have another day to train for awhile. :/

Appreciate any advice! Thank you!

I am new to receiving also and have many questions. Although I have a lot of experience in logistics and as backup receiving TM I still have not been sent out for training.

Everyday I learn more as I go, but would love any tips people on here may have.

If you are unsure if a vendor is ADSD, ask them if they are scan based. They know if they get their product scanned in or not. Most of them have been doing this for years and are familiar with the store. You can also just try using ADSD and if they are not eligible the pda will prompt vendor not found.
Frito lay, Nabisco, Kellogg's, Pepsi, and Mclane are the ones I can think of.

Liquor laws vary by state and you can look up your on workbench by searching liquor credits. In my state we defect out the liquor, dump it out and recycle the bottle. If the vendor wants it back they have to schedule a pickup and give me a invoice beforehand. Then I defect out the product, box it up and the invoice gets mailed to a different address then my others.

I mail all liquid invoices to a corporate address (I don't really know where they go, I just have it saved) this includes soda, coffee, ice, and beer. Keep a copy for your files.

I have heard that you need to send a bill of lading out with a credit, but that's not what I currently do. I will find out when I go to train. Our past receivers never did that, but there are some forms I found in our drawer. I don't know if they are a out of date process or not. Most of my credits are thrown in the trash or donated to the local food bank. After I process them I print out a item detail page and staple it to the invoice. Only our soda vendors take credit product with them.

The more you work with MIRS the easier they will get. Just keep swimming, sometimes it can be a huge amount of product!! (I'm at a high volume store)
MIR can be recall product or it can be overstock or something with low sales. Sometimes it's the manufacturer pulling the product out of target to make room for something new or to change packaging design or because they request the product back instead of letting it go clearance.
Sometimes a recall is pulled and held in receiving until a update is given and sometimes they have a MIR as a way to get rid of recall product. The header of Mir will tell you what to do with the product. (Mail it, destroy it, whatever)

Hope that helps you out a little.

Can anyone help me with a few questions?....

Hanger bins used to be tracked under the ship app on PDA, but that has been replaced with the newer outbound tracking app. Do you still track them somewhere or just toss the sticker with store number on it?

Does anyone still make a separate bill of lading for CRC pallets? I do and then print it and staple it to the sweep BOL. Is this necessary?

What do you do if a mistake is made on a receipt and it has already been closed? I used the wrong PO on one, my supported it twice and have not heard back. One other time I typed the wrong number and the vendor was unable/unwilling to bring me the extra product I accidentally scanned and refused to write a credit for it. I was told to my support it so corporate could reopen the ticket for me to adjust or void, LOD IS OF COURSE UNLESS, and finally a coworker helped me force a credit through so we would not be shorted. Basically it was a huge mess and you would think target would take traing the receiver more seriously since we deal with thousands of dollars of inventory!!!

Even though there Are moments I feel lost and buried, my day is pretty easy and I really like working the dock!

Phoneposting before work so this might be a bit messy.

ASDS/RECV: The driver ir vendor will give you a sheet with at least one barcode and somewhere on there it'll say "bill of lading." Those are ADSD deliveries. You can also look up "ADSD shipment summary report" on workbench if you want to see which ADSD deliveries are coming inthwr day. Or when you're in it on RFapps, select "no barcode" and it'll pull up a list.

My ADSD deliveries are coke, Pepsi, Frito Lay, McLanes, Nabisco and Kellogs.

Credits and manual bills of lading: Pretty sure best practice is to fill out a BoL for product leaving the store. I...don't for credits. Only the ones you create on workbench for sweeps. Out of rhe receivers I know, only one does. The other just prints out the packing list off the credits page and staples it to the credit invoice.

Most the vendors take credited product with them. Soda, chips and coffee, alcohol and a couple others. The rest I donate, or toss if it's hella outdated or they specifically ask me to.

Haven't had a lot of alcohol credits. If it's damaged in store, after.delivery we dump it and recycle the bottles. I've done credits for outdates and.mispicks.

I don't track hanger bins except by putting the labels on them and recording how many I send back on the sweep paperwork.

Hands are cramping up but I hope this kind of helps. I'm not the best receiver out there so I'm probably.missimg a few things. Then again from my experience with receivers they all do things differently from one another. Definitely reach out to your nearby stores and their receivers too.

Oh and if you haven't, set up your favorites on Workbench for the common pages you'll need. I can post what I have favorites later.

I'm a little old school so I still write the bill of lading (bol) for vendor credits. It is a firm you fill out by hand. I just file it. When you send out the sweeps you use Outbound Tracking shipment and bol manged for the CRC AND Salvage pallets. That will give a printout of the bol. Use the sweep link for sweep mdse and supplies sent back to the DC.

Also, this might seem like kind of a silly question but what are the differences between Recalls and MIRs? I helped with the MIRs for the week and we shipp
ed them out via UPSD, but that's about it. All I really know how to do is check the Merchant Initiated Returns that are Ready

Recalls are a part of MIRs. Recalls are a high priority. They have to be done before end of day that it drops. Sometimes we hold until future notice, destroy or ship it back to vendor. It's best to check MIRS once a day because you never know when recall will happen. As far as normal MIRS on Thursday you can see want you have to the next week. You can't pull them until next Tuesday. Get them all worked and finish on Friday.

I've never filled out a BoL for vendor credits. They've always given me a receipt for the credits, I credit them via PDA, etc. I stamp the receipt they give me and make them sign it still and good to go.

Today was awful on the dock. Awful. My soda vendors are stupid messy man children. Leadership is useless, undermines the rules I set and can't understand anything about receiving. I'm so frustrated and exhausted. There are processes that are not being followed and no one cares. Apparently it doesn't matter that thousands of dollars of inventory is controlled by receiving, no matter what it's never a priority.

My options are reduced to 1. Looking for a new job or 2. Continue to ignore all the crap that should be done and isn't, smile and giggle an be happy let the vendors do whatever the f they want, let shit be everywhere, let paperwork be out of control, let there be multiple code volation.... But as long as the desk is cleared off idiot ETLs think everything is perfect and I'll keep my job.

I needs to drink. Lots.

Today was awful on the dock. Awful. My soda vendors are stupid messy man children. Leadership is useless, undermines the rules I set and can't understand anything about receiving. I'm so frustrated and exhausted. There are processes that are not being followed and no one cares. Apparently it doesn't matter that thousands of dollars of inventory is controlled by receiving, no matter what it's never a priority.

My options are reduced to 1. Looking for a new job or 2. Continue to ignore all the crap that should be done and isn't, smile and giggle an be happy let the vendors do whatever the f they want, let shit be everywhere, let paperwork be out of control, let there be multiple code volation.... But as long as the desk is cleared off idiot ETLs think everything is perfect and I'll keep my job.

I needs to drink. Lots.
Wait, are you me? Because that's pretty much what I deal with each week. I get little victories like defectives and MIRs but I just can't quite grok the vendor side of things beyond checking them in. Leadership occasionally drifts by to ask asinine questions or complain about something I didn't know was going on. Then they're gone until the next time. Starting to understand why the last two receivers left the way they did.

I'd suggest doing what I am: shrug, smile and keep the place from burning down while working on getting out of there.

Sorry but vendors are there to work for YOU. They do as YOU say, you're the "guard" to the castle. They have to abide by your rule in your castle. They don't clean up? Contact their merchandiser/rep. They don't sign in and out? Contact their merchandiser/rep. There's no excuses. And if they're being unproductive and dumb and not doing their job you have the right to tell them to leave. Do not take $h!t from any vendor, they are there to work for you. This doesn't mean demean them and talk down to them (like my market TL) but that they just need to do their dang job and clean up after themselves. My ETL-Log supports me and the receiver completely and they know they if I'm complaining about a vendor I mean business.

If your ETL-LOG isn't concerned about the state of receiving then your ETL-AP probably will when he sees his shortage inflate...that's something you should have documentation for as it occurs. Eventually someone is going to notice and it'll be all too easy to land the mess on the receiver rather than an unsupportive leadership.

They changed the way you check in vendors last week I don't believe it matters anymore you use the recv function now. You don't need a Bol for credits. Just the receipt they give you. For the Crc on sweep you don't really need to if you do it's easier for Ap to track but it's not something most APS use anymore

Have you guys started the new receive process? Our store starts on July 13. I'm not looking forward to it because although I'm glad everything will be in one app, I think it will be slow and unstable

Our PDAs are supposed to update next week, not sure how I feel about it. Going to miss having QMOS and label printing functionality though, they've come in handy.

Also its going to be fun seeing if anybody else notices. Far as I can tell I'm the only person to have noticed the redwire on this.

They are taking away QMOS???!?? Nooo!!!!! I already miss NOP and QMOS is so much faster then the defect app.

They are taking away QMOS???!?? Nooo!!!!! I already miss NOP and QMOS is so much faster then the defect app.
Yeah, I think its supposed to remove some features that are on the iPod's, like QMOS, labels, SDA. Because its sooo easy to get a hold of one of those on demand. You can find the details on Workbench: I think this update is 19.5 maybe?

Going to have to safeguard my aisle scan sheets for MIRs, can't lose those now.

You can use store location menu & it will give the aisle, the dpci is in. It's better than nothing. Backroom location gives you, the backroom location.

We went live last week and was super slow. Took our reciever nearly 20 mins to check in our red bull vendor who had 6 cases total. In the old days I would have had that checked in in less than 2 mins

Last edited:
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the advice.

Unfortunately it's my first day alone in receiving and I've already made one major fuck up. I had to audit a Nabisco delivery and didn't realize until after the guy left that he gave me cartons to input instead of total units for each box we scanned, so I ended up with about 52 when I should have had 452. :/ Any idea how to fix this? The receipt has already been closed.

MySupport it maybe? I don't know if the audit actually affects what's added to inventory or what the vendor is paid or if its just to double-check the order. On the plus side, its a hell of a reminder to make sure you and the vendor are on the same page regarding cases/eaches. I've had a couple audits where we get halfway through and I realize the driver's giving me cases but caught it in time.

I've got a fun question: how can I get the DC to stop sending us hangar bins? Once a week we get two more and we're only sending maybe one back a week. Now we're up to 7 empty bins and running out of places to stash them (damn back to college and school!) I've been making sure the labels are on them so the DC knows how many we send back, but still. Guessing this is a MySupport? Or failing that, send them back with a sternly written note.

I think we have the same issue, but we're only up to 4 or 5 of them right now. They're going to take up a single pallet space no matter what, so as long as the stack doesn't get too tall it's not an issue for us.

You might be want to ask who is ordering them?
They might be auto-ordered or something, not sure. Someone else did osme asking and our HR-TM (who does most the ordering) says she doesn't request them. Guess I'll have to do some more digging.

I think we have the same issue, but we're only up to 4 or 5 of them right now. They're going to take up a single pallet space no matter what, so as long as the stack doesn't get too tall it's not an issue for us.
Problem is, we stash the extras high up in the steel. Where they're at right now can only fit two packs before you're knocking a camera around and the Crown is at its very limit. Sure we could move them somewhere else but everything's taken up by PIPOs and back to school/college right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back