Archived In need of backroom expertise pls....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Backroom experts, I need your help. I have learned different information was being given to my fellow market tms. This is about pulling batches with a pda.

1. When the PDA tells you to pull 10, and on the waco you only see 5, how many would you pull? I'd say 10, right?

2. When the PDA tells you to pull 10, and you remember that you only need on the floor is 5, how many would you pull? I would pull 10 bec I am not gonna remember how many is really need on floor when I am pulling from a batch of >25 dpci. She said to pull 5.

3. When the PDA says 5 and you're pulling from a box (like in G10 shelf), the box has 12 items in it. I would pull 12. She says 5.

I can't think of anything else. These are the only main ones I can remember.

1: 5 then back out, locu the location and restock w.e is left to clean up a location with a known error

2: 10, pulling less than what it's asking you deletes the item from the location as it assumes there was no more. So pulling less then what it asks you when there is still some in the location creates an error down the road. You can put in down and restock by 5 but you'll show up on the burning batches list which if your TL cares about is a pain. Best solution is to grab a mydevice and fix the floor location if that occurs on a regular basis. You never know they might have added an end cap when you weren't paying attention.

3: 12, don't bother opening boxes you can always pull more than what is asked for that causes no issues. It's more about wasting time, why pull less then have to delete the box out of the case stock and move it to a waco when you can just pull the whole box out send it to the floor and backstock w.e came back.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your input! My main concern is #3 as I've been pulling what is said the box has and then finding less that what if should be inside. Thank you!

And I forgot #1. I've always pulled what the pda says but once in a while I do that..bec I would think that if I didn't do that, then I'd have ghosts.

Say you have 20 items. Only 15 fit on the floor. You go to backstock 5, but you enter 10 instead. The system now thinks that there are 10 on the floor and 10 in the backroom.
Wrong. Backstocking does not affect the sales floor quantity. It would think there are 15 on the floor and 10 in the backroom.

Wrong. Backstocking does not affect the sales floor quantity. It would think there are 15 on the floor and 10 in the backroom.

Pull what the system is asking for. Period. If the system wants 10 and there are only 5, key what you actually pulled. You can always pull extra and not mess things up (assuming the extra were in location to begin with), but pulling less than what you keyed you pulled will always result in a baffle eventually. Pulling more than what you keyed will result in a ghost eventually. Always pull what the system is asking for, but only key what you are actually pulling. What you’re keying and what you’re taking should always match. Period.

Just leaving this here:

Capacity - how many eaches of a DPCI that the replenishment system thinks can fit on the sales floor.

OH - On hands. The number of items that the replenishment system thinks you have in stock at any given time. Does not take into account SFQ or backroom locations. Note that on hands decrement immediately when you receive any OPU or SFS orders...so it is not always 100% accurate at the moment you are looking at it, but generally is reflective of what you actually own.

SFQ - Sales Floor Quantity. This is the number of eaches the replenishment system thinks is on the sales floor. SFQ decreases from sales/QMOS/Defectives/researching down counts. SFQ increases from receipts/pulls from backroom/researching up counts/returns. SFQ will always max out at capacity and can not fall below zero. SFQ can be more than capacity if a pog tie is broken and the previous SFQ for combined locations was higher than the current capacity. While SFQ should be reflective of actual quantity of eaches on the sales floor...it isn’t always since the replenishment system works on the assumption of 100% efficiency with zero room for errors.

Backroom Qty - the sum of what is on location in the backroom for a particular DPCI.

In a perfect world, OH = SFQ + BRQ. This isn’t always the case. SFQ and BRQ are utilized only for in store replenishment systems. OH is what drives replenishment from the DC to the store.

This is why you can have “12 on floor, 12 in back, 12 OH.” Most likely all are in the backroom and you only have 12 OH. Probably came in on a truck, was pushed to the floor, wasn’t stocked, and the case pack got backstock. Will never pull until someone fixes the SFQ.

You can also end up with situations like “12 on floor, 0 in back, 0 OH”. Could be from SFQ being overstated initially and then selling down or other stuff. If product does come in, it will go to direct since the SFQ is wrong. Unless you’re doing a push all.

Also...SFQ updates when the trailer is closed in push.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your input! My main concern is #3 as I've been pulling what is said the box has and then finding less that what if should be inside. Thank you!

And I forgot #1. I've always pulled what the pda says but once in a while I do that..bec I would think that if I didn't do that, then I'd have ghosts.
with number three, the most likely reason that the system would ask to pull less than a full case is because the shelf is not grouped correctly. I would partner with your BRTL so that they can fix it.

where someone on the floor left them in the box and just closed it back up instead of putting them in a repack.

Or someone comes to the BR to get something for a guest and takes a few from the pack rather than taking all from that location. I was warned about doing this by the BR TM who (fortunately) was there the first time I went to the BR to get something for a customer, otherwise I wouldn't have known that was a bad thing, either.

FWIW, I've never been instructed as a floor TM to put anything in a repack for backstock. If I am pulling from a repack and have small things leftover, they'll go back in the repack and I'll generally pull stuff out of boxes if it makes sense, but in the case of small things that would likely end up all over the place, yeah, I will leave them in the box to send to backstock. I guess I always assumed the BR folks would know how best to handle those, and I figured it was better to send them stuff neatly contained vs. all over the cart.

At least it's easier to just pull the entire casepack when you're pulling an item for the guest through a PDA or MyWork. Usually you can just send the entire thing to the floor to restock that location anyway.

This is most often what I do, yeah. And when I was being shown the ropes by the SFS guy he did note that you need to pull the whole case from backstock, take your three, log your three, then put the remaining item in backstock (yourself, if you have time, but if you run out of time leave it for the BR folks).

Or worse, they put other items in that casepack and close it,

Oh, this i would never do. I don't think I fold the box back up unless I'm closing up a full box, but I'll be more aware of that in the future. This happens to me mostly in small appliances, and those aisles are notoriously overfilled so most of the time when I do SA pulls I end up sending back more than I push.

I have SFS and Hardlines remove the quantity part of the pick label if they are going to leave a partially full box. They have all been coached on this at this point and know to follow Backroom best practice and only full casepacks should be in uppers and lowers, but I realize they are sometimes low on time so they have the option to do it the correct way or the quick way. Now they know they get written up for leaving empty casepacks in the light duty or partially full casepacks without changing the quantity on the box.

Their work can either work with backroom or impede it, if they impede it they are held accountable.

I asked my TL. We are really doing it that way. And it seems that we had been doing it that way from the start. When pulling a batch, whatever number the PDA asks for, that's what you input. If it asks for 6, but really there are 12 in the box, put 6. If it asks for 12 but there is really 6 in the box, put 12. Same in wacos. We are leading for a few weeks now, from what I heard, doing it this way.

What I am confused about it is, I am green with maybe a mistake now and then in the report. If the PDA asks for 6 but the box says it contains 12, I investigate. If there really is 12, I put 12. If there is only 6, I put 6. But I am still green. And from what my TL told me today, my area is a solid green.

Last edited:
Sounds like your TL is trying to avoid baffles wherever possible, I call it padding the stats. It otherwise makes no sense to key what the PDA wants if it's not the quantity actually in location. The system would record these discrepancies as baffles. If you and the team recorded these baffles (as you should), the BRLA would go down and the BRTL would actually have to followup with TMs instead of pretending these errors don't exist.

PDA wants 12 but there's only 6? Pull 6.
PDA wants 6 in a casestock location but there's 12? Pull 12.
You scanned absolutely everything in a location twice and it's not there? M-delete.

Doing anything else is just padding stats, which I've never had any respect for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back