Archived In the News: Overtime rule change?

In an overtime situation, which would you prefer?

• Time Off

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Extra pay (1.5x/hourly rate)

Votes: 64 88.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you in r100. One city is now requiring employers to pay overtime on any shift past 8 hours. I heard that store they give lots of 7.75s up until q4 where the overtime is plentiful

How much PTO would they be required to give? If it's just .5 hours of PTO per hour of OT worked, it's not really a good deal. It just shifts your pay around. If it's 1 hour of PTO per hour of OT worked (effectively paying you double-time), that could be worth it to some people.

Didn't this get shot down multiple times already in the past? And won't pass now either.
In the past, Obama would threaten to veto it each time if came up. But now that republicans have the white house and majorities in congress, I can see this getting passed.

As was pointed out in the article, employers could give time off out the whazoo but could still limit WHEN or IF the employees could take the paid time off.
Ideally, workers could use that time off for sick kids or to pad lean times when hours or cut but - if the employer decides those scenarios would inconvenience the business - there's no guarantee the time off would be granted so it's an empty promise.
Since Target no longer pays out accrued time off, this would be doubly devastating to TMs.

Yeah but Target can already restrict time off based on business needs.

In the past, Obama would threaten to veto it each time if came up. But now that republicans have the white house and majorities in congress, I can see this getting passed.
I saw/heard somewhere earlier they'll need 8 dem votes to pass it and so far there hasn't been a single dem vote for it. Don't recall details though unfortunately.

I think California has been doing this for a long time.

It's been law in CA for 20 some odd years.. It went to a +40hrs worked in a week then changed to anything over 8hrs.

I haven't heard any changes in states north of CA.. I will post if I do..

Yeah but Target can already restrict time off based on business needs.
And they do frequently.
During my years in the lanes I never had a chance to take time off so I'd racked up the max (double the year's accrual) & wasn't accumulating any more.
Imagine accruing additional 'paid' time off - a hefty amount perhaps - only to lose it all if you were performanced out or forced to quit.

And they do frequently.
During my years in the lanes I never had a chance to take time off so I'd racked up the max (double the year's accrual) & wasn't accumulating any more.
Imagine accruing additional 'paid' time off - a hefty amount perhaps - only to lose it all if you were performanced out or forced to quit.

Yep and companies love to pull that shit.

I saw/heard somewhere earlier they'll need 8 dem votes to pass it and so far there hasn't been a single dem vote for it. Don't recall details though unfortunately.
The GOP has already invoked nuclear option once & I don't doubt they'll use it again to suit their needs.

For those of you in r100. One city is now requiring employers to pay overtime on any shift past 8 hours. I heard that store they give lots of 7.75s up until q4 where the overtime is plentiful
Pretty standard here in CA. Anything over 8 hours is time and a half.

I used to work state gov't where they gave out Comp hours like candy instead of Overtime pay. It sucks.

The only benefit is that you receive 1.5x hours of Comp leave for every hour of overtime worked.

The problem with it are:
1. That you have to use your Comp leave within a year of earning it or you lose it. While regular leave is capped at 240 hours and any extra is pushed to the sick time bucket.
2. You have to use it before any other regular leave or sick time
3. You can't use it toward your retirement

What's overtime? We were told it's blocked company wide. Literally haven't seen OT since 2007 and that was a fluke. I'll take the extra time off so I get a nice real vacation for once.

What's overtime? We were told it's blocked company wide. Literally haven't seen OT since 2007 and that was a fluke. I'll take the extra time off so I get a nice real vacation for once.

Even quarter 4? That's a lie lol. I know store team leads discourage it because they get a negative mark for overtime but it definitely varies from store to store.

Even quarter 4? That's a lie lol. I know store team leads discourage it because they get a negative mark for overtime but it definitely varies from store to store.
Nope. Not one hour. It's not discouraged, it's forbidden. It's a write up if you go over. We're a $60 million dollar store with no OT and they wonder why we struggle. And next week we start 7 trucks a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back