In the news....

qmosqueen

Perishable Assistant Wizard
What about the weight of Karen’s offspring in the carts. Cause you know they cannot walk

My city has two Macy's(s? Macies's???) and I'm always expecting to see the location next to my old target on that list. The mall is dieing a slow, agonizing death, more than half the storefronts are empty, and the only two restaurant businesses that draw any foot traffic are Target and Wholefoods.

My city has two Macy's(s? Macies's???) and I'm always expecting to see the location next to my old target on that list. The mall is dieing a slow, agonizing death, more than half the storefronts are empty, and the only two restaurant businesses that draw any foot traffic are Target and Wholefoods.
The mall is probably doing it on purpose, likely wants to sell the land for something else

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
If someone could explain in small, simple words, why is Kohl's dropping 0.2% is a bad thing, causing shares to tumble, but Macy's dropping 0.6% which is three times as much, and its stock increased?

seasonaldude

That Asshole in OPU
If someone could explain in small, simple words, why is Kohl's dropping 0.2% is a bad thing, causing shares to tumble, but Macy's dropping 0.6% which is three times as much, and its stock increased?
Essentially, the stock market is nothing more than legalized gambling. Similarly to betting on sports there are a bunch of people who make a shitload of money making guesses about what will happen with the market and selling those guesses to other people. These people's guesses become the expectations and people place their bets accordingly. When expectations are not met, stocks plunge. When they are met or exceeded, stocks rise.

So let's say that the gurus in their collective wisdom decide that Target should see a 10% increase in profits over last year. If Target only sees an 8% increase, its stock will drop. It's still been a good year for Target. Doesn't matter. They didn't meet expectations and all the people who put their faith in the gurus' predictions are selling the stock causing it to drop. But, what it the gurus said Target would have a 10% decrease in profits and in reality they only dropped 8%? Oh My God! They did better than expected! BUY! BUY! BUY!

It's all bullshit piled on horse dung resting on top of pigeon droppings. But, that's how it is. Capitalism is a helluva drug.

happygoth

reshop till I drop
In the article, it states that analysts expected Kohl's to increase profits, but instead they dropped. They also expected Macy's decline to be worse than it was. Kohl's performed worse than expected and Macy's performed better than expected.

So basically, what @seasonaldude said.

happygoth

reshop till I drop
Also, the problem with Kohl's taking Amazon returns for me is the closest one is on the other side of town. Easier for me to just print a return label and drop it off at the Staples up the street.

Black Sheep 214

Kiss no butts, give no fox
Exactly what seasonaldude said. Stocks are worth what companies/gurus can convince people to pay for them, which can vary with the wind. Smoke and mirrors, gilding the lily, whatever, the truth will out eventually, good or bad, and the stock price will follow suit.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
Easier for me to just print a return label and drop it off at the Staples up the street.
And that's why I don't often shop online, grumble. Paying out of my pocket for postage to return an item, forever for the funds to be returned, and limited recourse if the seller decides that it doesn't fit their definition of pristine and won't return my money.

Yeah it doesn't make sense. Both are bad, consumer spending is up overall and it was the busiest shopping season ever, any company that had a loss was a failure.

Wait, Macy's stock went down.

happygoth

reshop till I drop
And that's why I don't often shop online, grumble. Paying out of my pocket for postage to return an item, forever for the funds to be returned, and limited recourse if the seller decides that it doesn't fit their definition of pristine and won't return my money.
I always make sure what I order is either through Amazon Prime, fulfilled by Amazon, or offers free returns.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
I always make sure what I order is either through Amazon Prime, fulfilled by Amazon, or offers free returns.
But what about packaging? Do they reimburse for finding a box and packaging and mailing tape and clear bag for the shipping label? And do they just mail you out a return label, or is it reimbursement?

happygoth

reshop till I drop
But what about packaging? Do they reimburse for finding a box and packaging and mailing tape and clear bag for the shipping label? And do they just mail you out a return label, or is it reimbursement?
With most Amazon returns, you just select that you want to return the item, give a brief reason, print out the free return label, tape it on the same box it came in and Bob's your uncle. At most it costs a sheet of printer paper and a few pieces of packing tape.

IWishIKnew

This was supposed to be a seasonal job...
Why would you assume just because it has "unicorn" in the name it's safe for kids? Always read the packaging.

Not that I think it matters in this case, as there does appear to be something wrong with the product, but assuming unicorn = safe for kids is dumb.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
Why would you assume just because it has "unicorn" in the name it's safe for kids? Always read the packaging.

Not that I think it matters in this case, as there does appear to be something wrong with the product, but assuming unicorn = safe for kids is dumb.
I would think that beauty product face mask would be safe for children simply on the basis that if it's safe for a grown person's face it'll be safe on the pint size faces that have the discipline to use it correctly, and if it's not safe for pint size faces it wouldn't be safe for a larger face.