Archived Injury Reports - How do they affect leadership and the store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to know what happens exactly when someone ( a TM specifically ) files an injury report.

Does the leadership get in trouble?

Is the store put under scrutiny from corporate?

Any input would be appreciated.

I don’t remember exactly what happened, but I’m familiar with two TM injuries that happened. One had a box fall on his head and another fell to the floor on her butt? But if am Injury happened, and a TM hid it they definently should report it. Don’t be worried to.

My old ETLAP almost ran my foot over with the WAVE and was freaking out telling me to file a report. I think they’re fine unless it’s somethinf massive.

Presumably they're looking for patterns. We apparently had a high number of TM injuries early this year, for random reasons. We had a few weeks of safety focus huddles and were generally told to be careful, don't be stupid, don't be afraid to ask for another set of hands, etc. and that was pretty much that. I would assume if your store has a bunch of the same type of injury or something that might get more scrutiny from higher-ups.

People at my store are saying you can get a CCA for cutting your finger with a box cutter; is this true?

We have had a lot of safety discussions in huddles. Usually just reminders. I didn’t think about the correlation of TM/guest injuries til now!!

The accident report is to help answer questions like:
Could this accident have been avoided?
If so, how?
List factors that contributed to the accident.
Was the cause a result of:
a) faulty/defective equipment/tool?
b) improper use of a tool/equipment?
c) improper protocols?
d) lack of training?
e) negligence?
f) combination of the above?
Was the TM impaired?

Cutting yourself with a box cutter is a pretty rookie move that could land you in the ER, so I can't necessarily blame them for going hard on that one. At my store I think the injuries were mostly from experienced TMs not thinking they needed a team lift or a stepladder and ended up with stuff like shoulder injuries or smashed toes and stuff like that.

Is there a reason why an STL or ETL would get mad at someone who files an injury report? For something that was clearly an accident and not due to self - negligence.

I don’t think so. I can understand you getting in trouble for something stupid (using equipment not certified, on drugs at work, cutting yourself with box cutter, etc.) but if it’s a true accident too. Whatever it is, should be reported.

They should be getting mad at people who have reportable injuries but don't report them. I'm pretty sure OSHA would take a dim view of any manager who discouraged people from reporting injuries.

Though they could do a better job of defining a reportable injury. Are they ones that require medical attention?

There is a reason that AP comes around with the safety questionnaire. Fill it out truthfully. Your name is not attached.

My ETL told me if the store is red or yellow for team member injuries they get a smaller bonus. My jaded mind tells me they try to stop people from reporting them so they can get their $$$.

I overheard an ETL tell a TM who injured her back that she would be subject to drug testing IF she sought treatment. This was before he asked how she was. It did appear to be intimidation to not pursue a Work Comp claim.

It's always a good idea to fill out an accident/incident report just to be safe. Mostly for your own benefit. Stores frown upon "claims", not reports.

And, @IWishIKnew is correct..... your Leadership is looking for a "pattern" with multiple reports. A former TM of mine suffered an injury in the backroom ( no witnesses, no camera, just his "word") which led to a claim, and that claim led to years of physical therapy ( consisting of heavy pain meds and spa-like treatments). It became apparent, over time, that this TM was abusing the system. Just as he was about to be "released" from therapy (and his meds) from his Doctor; BAM !!! .... another injury. Same M.O....... no witnesses, no cameras, etc. This happened two MORE times before he was documented for his lack of safe work practices. Within a short period of time, he transferred stores, and started the same routine all over again. Once he attempted to file a 2nd injury claim at his new store, his employment was terminated.

He now works for the County Hospital...... (lots of meds there).

They should be getting mad at people who have reportable injuries but don't report them.
Several TMs at my store got termed for failing drug tests following accidents even in an incident where it was impossible to blame impairment.
So no one speaks up.

It's always a good idea to fill out an accident/incident report just to be safe. Mostly for your own benefit. Stores frown upon "claims", not reports.

And, @IWishIKnew is correct..... your Leadership is looking for a "pattern" with multiple reports. A former TM of mine suffered an injury in the backroom ( no witnesses, no camera, just his "word") which led to a claim, and that claim led to years of physical therapy ( consisting of heavy pain meds and spa-like treatments). It became apparent, over time, that this TM was abusing the system. Just as he was about to be "released" from therapy (and his meds) from his Doctor; BAM !!! .... another injury. Same M.O....... no witnesses, no cameras, etc. This happened two MORE times before he was documented for his lack of safe work practices. Within a short period of time, he transferred stores, and started the same routine all over again. Once he attempted to file a 2nd injury claim at his new store, his employment was terminated.

He now works for the County Hospital...... (lots of meds there).

Several TMs at my store got termed for failing drug tests following accidents even in an incident where it was impossible to blame impairment.
So no one speaks up.
There is a checklist before you send someone out for drug test. Most team member incidents wouldn't pass the criteria for a drug test post incident.

I overheard an ETL tell a TM who injured her back that she would be subject to drug testing IF she sought treatment. This was before he asked how she was. It did appear to be intimidation to not pursue a Work Comp claim.

That’s so fucked up!

My ETL told me if the store is red or yellow for team member injuries they get a smaller bonus. My jaded mind tells me they try to stop people from reporting them so they can get their $$$.

Fuck that shit! No wonder my STL and ETL were mad at me.

I just want to know what happens exactly when someone ( a TM specifically ) files an injury report.

Does the leadership get in trouble?

Is the store put under scrutiny from corporate?

Any input would be appreciated.

Leadership doesn't get in trouble unless its something they could of prevented. The store is not put under scrutiny unless it is something they have prevented or there have been repeat incidents of that specific type. Now, the only injuries that corporate is focusing on are OSHA reportable injuries. Things like fatalities, someone losing a limb or eye or someone that requires overnight hospitalization. Accidents happen, if its something that leaders could have prevented then it's something that should be looked into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back