Archived Instocks or pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalesFloorSylph

Got any extra peghooks?
I have been working for Spot for a little over a year now and I'm hoping to get cross trained in more departments. I'm already trained in presentation but I'd like to do a bit more, ya know? Both the departments I listed are short handed and need more people.

I'm someone who likes to move around a lot when I'm working (which is why I hate going up for backup haha) and Im extroverted so I like working with a team

For my store, instocks usually splits the tasks in multiple lists and works alone, and pricing stays together for the most part. Instocks does back up, pricing doesn't. Instocks will get you trained in more areas (in my opinion) I'm trained in both, prefer instocks way more. Not a huge fan of pricing, it's very dull, especially if you work with dull people. Instocks has varying tasks, at least at my store.

Our instocks team was gutted and their hours went to some flow/backroom people to do the scans. I would do price change myself and stay far away from instocks.

Wow....I am staying away from instocks then D:
Our store's pricing team is only like 2 people which has become kind of a problem with all the clearance we have from toys. We have tubs full of that shit that still hasn't gotten the price changed

Most people who help in pricing say it's dull because theyre only helping put stickers on items when they're behind. If you're lucky you'll get the full experience which could mean tearing down softlines racks to make room for the thousands of articles of clothing in rtw right now. Putting competitive price change labels up(theyve been heavier since theyre shopping walmart harder) marking whatever department and items that are scheduled to go clearance in hardlines then doing the same thing in the backroom. Then we have to push it all from the back. There's a lot of easy tasks all combined into not enough time.

Corporate doesn't seem to know what they want to do with instocks. If you want a new directive every 4 months, go with that.
Now that I think of it, our instocks team is basically the opening sales floor people who aren't pushing tubs or doing sales planners.

I have been working for Spot for a little over a year now and I'm hoping to get cross trained in more departments. I'm already trained in presentation but I'd like to do a bit more, ya know? Both the departments I listed are short handed and need more people.

I'm someone who likes to move around a lot when I'm working (which is why I hate going up for backup haha) and Im extroverted so I like working with a team

Does Presentation & Price share the same TL at your store? If so it would probably be pretty easy to ask to get trained for Price, as that TL would be glad to have someone who can fill in AND is trained to do both.

@tinkerbell333 I believe so. A lot of our Plano people help out with pricing and there's one girl on pricing who also occasionally sets end caps. Neither department gets good hours and they're both small (Pricing only has two people plus this one SF girl who helps out and Plano has 6 people but they usually only have 2 or 3 people scheduled because most of the hours go to the flow team)

Its weird to see people saying instocks is dying. I've had plenty of conversations with my stl/DTL and we are finding ways for instocks to be utilized even more. My district is very instocks heavy, and if used correctly I feel like it can be very useful.

Its weird to see people saying instocks is dying. I've had plenty of conversations with my stl/DTL and we are finding ways for instocks to be utilized even more. My district is very instocks heavy, and if used correctly I feel like it can be very useful.
The STL and DTL won't be making that decision. The instocks team was actually designed to be a temporary team and has been around way longer than it ever should have been because other uses have been found. Most of those tms have their knowledge and talent wasted with tasks that are below their skill levels. This team (and I have been a member since its inception) should be unnecessary and the fact that it isn't just speaks to the fact that stores are not working with best practice, working with the best people, or keeping up with any subsequent roll outs in an efficient, effective way.

now may not be the best time to go to instocks as they are changing the method to which they do their scans. something to do with chips on the products. this will mostly effect hardlines and softline, however. BUT! i feel instocks is something is a lv2 checkout backroom, if theyve been merged at your location backroom and instocks, then ok, you will learn that. but i think learning backroom first is important for an instocks team member as you may or will be required to pull batches and im sure your logistics ETL doesnt want any errors being made. so get good with backroom, and in tern instocks will be something you can do.

pricing, at least in my district, is part of logistics. as a part of POG, which seems to be a seperate unit from backroom/flow/instocks. typically the 2 dont blend, so decide which of the 2 logistics "branches" you want to dive into before you have any conversations.

In my store Instocks is also trained in back room so when scan are done they will help pull until the batches they shoot are pulled. Once they push they then help backroom with manuals or they jump on mclane

The STL and DTL won't be making that decision. The instocks team was actually designed to be a temporary team and has been around way longer than it ever should have been because other uses have been found. Most of those tms have their knowledge and talent wasted with tasks that are below their skill levels. This team (and I have been a member since its inception) should be unnecessary and the fact that it isn't just speaks to the fact that stores are not working with best practice, working with the best people, or keeping up with any subsequent roll outs in an efficient, effective way.
I don't understand how my skills are being underutilized, when I'm more than capable of doing any other position, and have done every other position. Instocks for me has been far more rewarding than any other position. Maybe we just utilize instocks more at my store. Idk.

Is instocks going away actually feasible? It seemed to me like RFID would take a large portion of instocks' workload once the rest of the phases are run? If inventory is better tracked this way, doesn't this replace doing RIGS and outs?

Is instocks going away actually feasible? It seemed to me like RFID would take a large portion of instocks' workload once the rest of the phases are run? If inventory is better tracked this way, doesn't this replace doing RIGS and outs?

I have yet to hear about Instocks actually going completely away, so its probably a ways out. I am assuming some districts with ULV stores are testing getting rid of it since the hours are so low its easier to lump an extra 20ish into trailer unload and just have someone on flow do it.

I will say, as someone who was apart of Instocks when it first came out as well, that it was initially designed as a cost reducer. We used to have TLs scan their own departments to fill them (and therefore had many more SFTLs) and basically cut the total TL positions down and then specialized the task into a team so TMs could fill areas instead of TLs. Basically they made the GSA of the Salesfloor by forming Instocks.

I think that now filling the floor is much easier. Back when I did Instocks it was all still in RF Apps. You had to actually type and name RF batches in either outs or rsch and know the schedule. That meant paying attention to endcaps and sidecaps that were different departments too! You had to open RIG batches in RF Apps and do the DALY01 and 02 batches for ad outs, and then open up fillgroups to access the RIGs. You had to constantly toggle back and forth to get into RAIN to make a Raincheck pad and sub for every ad out.

The point is that now that its easy, there is probably an easier way to perform instocks on the floor. I do not know what that is, but I doubt a special team is needed to do it anymore.

I still stand by my idea a few years ago if I had to choose. I still think we should have a task list that generates based on sales and inventory turnover. Basically, if your store is going throw product more often in a certain department, it should take you there more. If its not, it will be set to a minimum scan threshold (say every 2 weeks) to make sure it gets done. It should also take you to areas that have high ad items too.

I then think the list should get done at night. Shift the workload around a bit for salesfloor so they can do a bit more zoning during the day and afternoon and then move instocks to 7p-11p (ideally just scheduling your closing TLOD or vet TM under it) and they can basically walk zones and scan at the same time. The priority pulls that generate then just drop into the autofills or push the next morning. This way flow is working the product which is the most productive anyway since they are likely in the aisles pulling something else.

Last edited:
BUT! i feel instocks is something is a lv2 checkout backroom, if theyve been merged at your location backroom and instocks, then ok, you will learn that. but i think learning backroom first is important for an instocks team member as you may or will be required to pull batches and im sure your logistics ETL doesnt want any errors being made. so get good with backroom, and in tern instocks will be something you can do.
Yeah pulling batches isn't so hard. I only know how to do it on the PDA but then again the MyDevice is unreliable most of the time and the scanner goes from 50% to 0% in a matter of seconds xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back