Archived Interesting video from customer trying to return open box electronic item

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.. unless you're an ETL you can get in serious trouble for that :)

I have permission from my ETL team to ask people to leave that are obviously disturbing other guests. If they refuse, I call for ap, explain the situation, and it is dealt with. I don't see how that is any different from any other store. Are regular TMs not allowed to ask people to leave? Naturally only AP can FORCE someone to leave.

I have permission from my ETL team to ask people to leave that are obviously disturbing other guests. If they refuse, I call for ap, explain the situation, and it is dealt with. I don't see how that is any different from any other store. Are regular TMs not allowed to ask people to leave? Naturally only AP can FORCE someone to leave.

I don't think its BP at most stores for TMs to ask guests to leave... Think we're supposed to escalate the situation to a TL/LOD/AP first.

However if your ETL delegated this to you, you should be okay.

The guy is nuts...Doesn't he realize he is on the grounds of breaking privacy laws by making these secret recordings.

I don't know if policy changed since I left. But I remember it as long as the item was broken and all item contents were in the box, an item could be returned.

I don't remember anything about exchange only and having to open the new item except for CDs.

But if an item was obviously used, then a TM is empowered to refuse the return.

The guy may be nuts but I don't think he is breaking privacy laws. Target doesn't have signs saying no video taping in full view of the public which means they are in their right to take video of events that happen in full view of the public.

The guest is on Target's private property and is subject to their rules, just like the LOD said in the video. While there may not be a sign explicitly saying "No filming or photography", the Target employee stated that was the policy and the guy should have respected that. There aren't signs saying "No public urination" either, but does that give people the right to do so?

People shopping inside a Target don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy, so privacy laws would not apply. If it was inside a restroom or someones residence it would be different.

However, you are on Target's property and are under the guidelines when you come through the doors and parking lot that you are being recorded by Target. Not by other guests. And was not authorized by Target to film on their property.

Even TV crews have to have verbal authorization from store management to shoot on their property.

And the guest concealed a camera and recorded the images of the TMs without their knowledge and published it on the internet without their consent.

"Private Property" with a business open to the PUBLIC, folks. "Private Property" laws are so old, they originally concerned farms and land ownership.

Do you think every picture and video with people "published" on the internet got "consent" from those people? It's not just this guy.

Otherwise you would have to sign a waiver every time you entered a business that has CCTV.

From the target.com website:

All returns and exchanges must be new, unused, and contain all original packaging and accessories. A form of personal identification may be required. Some items cannot be returned if opened and may only be exchangeable, including music, movies, video games, software and collectibles. Other restrictions may apply.

Wonder how ballistic he would've gone if they tried to charge him a 15% restocking fee: Restocking Fees: Some items are subject to a 15% restocking fee, including camcorders, digital cameras, portable DVD players and portable electronics.

Restocking fees haven't been imposed since the mid 2000's haha

speaking of witch whats the deal with the headsets? The new cart guys at the store I work at wear them now. I guess its to be safer....

Technically, GSA/GSTLs are supposed to wear them (although no-one at my store does)... it gives what the GSTL hears more privacy so they can be given heads-up on certain issues. As for carts, it's nice to have because it's right next to your ear, so you can hear it over the carts easier.

laws differ by state. I can't state the laws in my state or I'd be found out pretty fast but in general it varies by state what privacy rights you have, where, and what reasons a store can kick you out. In general you have a privilege to shop not a right and can be removed if you break the public disturbance laws. Filming is different. If someone asks you to stop filming them, you generally don't have to stop. If the film is published however, in a movie that is sold, or in a newspaper article/website, then you need a signed waiver giving you permission. Otherwise that would be a hassle anytime you made a home movie. Police like to give everyone hell for filming them as if it is illegal. People have been arrested even. However it isn't illegal and those police officers get in trouble for that.

You cannot film in airports though.... I'm pretty sure homeland security has that one taken care of.

Really? So all the film of people being molested By TSA agents was obtained illegally? This thread has completely derailed btw.

Back on subject...

The dude is nuts. He wouldn't even let the TM even explain the policy. He even chopped the most important part of the video to make it believable...the beginning.

But what was the exact story about this return to open the new item and being from a different store.

I never heard of opening electronics on exchanges. Has there been a update in policy.

Usually when I had a guest bring in an electronic item saying it was defective with a valid receipt, I always checked the contents to make sure everything was there. And processed the return. If the situation seemed fishy, I bring the GSTL over.

Ben, the man in the video, did an awesome job! He should have called LOD however.

Just happy I wasn't the LOD who would have answered this call.

But what was the exact story about this return to open the new item and being from a different store.

I never heard of opening electronics on exchanges. Has there been a update in policy.

I remember a while back we used to open merchandise that was being exchanged (or just break the seals on the new package) as an indicator of an exchange. This was in the event a guest would attempt to take the new item to another store to return for a full refund & was primarily done on electronics with a serial number (ie: TVs, iphones, ipods, idon'tknowwhatelse).
Like I said, it's been a while.

One guest had return an iPod in a box. gs took the return. When I had open the box, it had rocks in it! :facepalm:

Last edited:
I wouldn't find it cool at all to have some random stranger recording me and then posting it where other strangers could see it. I mean, if the guy doing it wants to be a douche or to "prove a point" or whatever the heck he's doing, it'd be nice if he'd at least have common courtesy to try avoiding any identifying visuals.

Isn't it against law in general to film/tape anyone without their permission? Or is that only applicable when it comes to evidence?

Eh.

I wish he'd at least just record/post audio of his crap, and if he really needs to let people know where he was at... then mention where the location was. =3=; General information, and less chance of whatever craziness could happen from his negligent (to me/imho) methods.

I'm a GSA, Electronics, and GS TM and I just want to say that even if it was intended to be humorous, which it wasn't, by the way... it is NOT fun or funny to be harassed by guests over policy. We can only try the options that we're given.

I found the one where he is trying to pick up a girl at a Starbucks...CREEPY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back