Archived Internal Promoting to Leader (ETL) - Interview Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, everyone! It's been a little over 20 months since my promotion to senior team lead and 18 months since I've opened a brand new flexible format store. I've done really well in my role - so well that my DTL recently took me out of my express Target and asked me to help a struggling high-volume store in my district. I've helped them weather Q4, and I'm happy to say we've all managed to fix a broken process and turn a lot of metrics from red to green. I have been waiting for a leader/ETL spot to open in my district for quite some time, and now it finally looks like I'll be heading to my interviews next month. Has anyone recently gone through ETL interviews? I am especially interested in any questions that relate to modernization + the new operating model. Any help would be greatly appreciated! My store director will hopefully prep me soon, but if anyone could share their experience or DM me any questions, it would help ease my worries.

None of the questions I was recently asked pertained to the new Operating Model. I also was curious about this but was surprised to see they used the old guides. Partner with your HR, they may be able to help (unofficially).

For ETL positions now you will need to show a solid understanding of the Logisitcs processes. Everyone now needs to be a logistics leader. If you don’t know learn the new trailer sort and stock process inside and out. Understand BRLA and how to keep it green. Also how to motivate a team to activately sell while pushing freight. While the questions haven’t really changed all of your answers need to surround being adaptable to change, activately selling and logistics.

For ETL positions now you will need to show a solid understanding of the Logisitcs processes. Everyone now needs to be a logistics leader. If you don’t know learn the new trailer sort and stock process inside and out. Understand BRLA and how to keep it green. Also how to motivate a team to activately sell while pushing freight. While the questions haven’t really changed all of your answers need to surround being adaptable to change, activately selling and logistics.
This is fantastic advice all around. When you go for leadership promotion interviews internally, you've basically already got it and you just need to not mess up the interview too badly. But if you incorporate this advice and have really solid stories that focus on these elements, you'll look great.

And yeah, they changed the packets last year but I got them for prep. I haven't heard of them changing them for new op model.

Can you please share the questions including what they are looking for?

As this thread is being resurrected right now and Q2 interviews are in full swing, I figure I'd share my interview experience (I passed). Think of 4-5 scenarios that are high in both scope and complexity. Ideally, your stories would provide great examples of you being bold, accountable, curious, and team-oriented. Think of modernization as well: What does modernization mean to you? How are you making modernization happen in your store? Finally, think of a signature strength and an opportunity you're working on as well.

The interview packets for both hourly team members/team leaders and ETLs will be changing at the end of this month. Ask your store director if he'd be willing to prep you. Good luck! Dress well, be positive, respectful, and confident, and you'll get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back