Archived Internal vs external?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to start a new thread if this has already been addressed.

I have read a lot here about the difficulty of internal promotions and would like to know more. Like would it be better for me to leave and reapply as an external applicant?

I have a business degree from a top 25 US college and past management experience and project mgmt certifications, which sounds like what target looks for in leadership applicants.
I kinda totally fucked my life and career situation up a couple years ago and needed a job. After finding a seasonal hiring ad, I became a target cashier a few months ago.

I really enjoyed my time as a seasonal TM and am happy to stay past the season; but I need to either advance here or look for another job soon. Cashier experience on my resume isn’t going to help me long-term. However, this experience has really made me love this company and want to work for target as a career.
So is there any hope in applying for internal promotions or should I just try to find another job and later apply for a target leadership position?

All I can say, you will need to be in touch with all of your ETLs and TLs and communication is key... let them know your desires and plans.

I know I will be soon.

If you're looking for something like Team Lead, internal is usually how they promote. ETL+ internals are much rarer.

These two responses are kind of what I’m concerned about. (So thank you for the responses!).

I don’t know who my ETLs or TLs are. I’m sure this is something I can figure out somehow though. Once I do, with whom should I speak?

So best shot at ETL/STL is to leave and apply as an external applicant?

It's sad, but I believe so. I only know of a few ETLs and up that have promoted from within. Usually, they're the best, but they're few and far between. Never more than one per store.

Also, be young, dumb, and attractive.

That’s what I was afraid of. Thanks for the response.
Do you know how long I have to be out of spot before applying as an external applicant?

Ps- I am young, dumb (sometimes), and attractive (depends who you ask)....if that helps lol

Yeah usually you're at a disadvantage when you're applying internally for a promotion. Based off the details you described, you seem qualified for the ETL position but would have to climb the ranks internally (this could take years) . I'm in a similar situation whereas I have a business degree and am a team leader and finding it difficult to promote when I see ETLs hired straight out of college haha. I would say 3-6 months. Make sure you put in your two weeks and leave on good terms

Really the only people I've seen promote to etl from tm are those with a strong advocate in high places (well respected etl, an stl or a dtl).

Generally they want you to take all the steps from tl to srtl to etl and most people top out at srtl either to choice or opportunity.

Leaving on good terms and reapplying might be the way to go

Ps- I am young, dumb (sometimes), and attractive (depends who you ask)....if that helps lol
You meet all of the qualifications. When do you want to start?

Real advice though, talk with your STL and get in try to get in touch with your APBP. Let them know your qualifications and your desire to work in leadership. Be frank with your STL and ask what they think the best path to take would be.

I’ve only seen one TM-> ETL, and that has been 8-10years so it’s possible, but I’ve only seen externals for ETLs+ recently.

You can apply as an intern.
Just to clarify, everyone in my internship class received the ETL offer at the end of summer. I was only one to get the Extended Internship opportunity. I don't know if it was because no else asked, or because their stores didn't have project for them to do...

To make a great impression during your internship, just jump right in. Your first few weeks will be the department you were assigned to, and the second half is LOD duties. But don't be afraid to learn about different workcenters and how they relate to each other (like how logistics coordinates with the salesfloor team).

Ask questions. Read the best practices. If possible, try to find someone in your store who is good metrics and financial reports and have them explain to you. I came from another retailer and always found profitability, inventory levels, margin, and sales figures interesting... It'll help you understand how everything ties together.

You likely go on several outings with other interns in your market (including a community event, teambuild, distribution center visit if nearby, kick-off day, intern swap day, and operational review). Remember that you will be 'on stage' at times, so always be professional and try to get involved. Standing in the corner texting doesn't give off a good impression... This is especially important during kick-off day as you will likely not know who's who.

Try to build a good rapport with your DTL. Don't be afraid to step up and offer to lead a DTL walk. Some DTLs may even let you tour another store with them. Take advantage!

Get to know the team members. I know my training ETL and STL would ask them for feedback about how I was doing. Also, more importantly, you will be seen as a leader in the building if you try to get to know them, instead of just treating them like employees. TLs and tenured team members can give you a wealth of information... recognize them!

If possible, try to get a feel for what leaders wear in the building. My STL was always big on leaders wearing Target Polo shirts or red button shirts, especially during LOd shifts. While you don't need to dress like you work at a Saks Fifth Avenue, dressing the part of a manager can go far in establishing credibility.

Finally.... LOD shifts were always my biggest opportunity. Try to shadow a couple different LOD's and take the best of each's rountines and work them into your own LOD rountines. Remember, everyone does LOD a little differently. Don't feel that just because your trainer does it one way mean that you cant customize to your own needs.

Hope this helps. It's been a few years since I've been through the internship, but I'll try to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks
bullseyekindaguy

Last edited:
From my impressions, interns are expected to accept/decline the offer right away... This may not be true, but that's the way it seemed... After all, you spent 8 weeks as an intern, and should know whether or not you liked what you saw. Typically, they will offer you the position after the Operational Review session. Your recruiter will send you an invite to a conference call, she/he will ask about your thoughts and experiences, and then offer the position. After the verbal offer, they'll go over salary, benefits, and business college expectations. Of course, they'll disclaim that benefits may change, and all the legal crap they need to discuss.

Salary wise... My salary offer was $49,500. I had worked at Kmart for 5 years prior (including their own intern program and other supervisory roles), so I'm not sure if it was adjusted for prior experience. Since it was inline with the market rate (and above my expectations), I accepted immediately, and didn't bother to negotiate. The only probably with it is, if you're coming in with just a college degree, and no experience, you may not have a lot of wiggle room to negotiate.

You can always do what I did... I accepted Target's offer, and used the school year to search for other jobs within my degree program (HR)... Other interns in my program did the same, and only 2-4 ended up at Target after graduation. The rest of us found jobs within our degree program, or went for their master's degree. While it may seem unprofessional, it is common for people to accept one offer, while waiting for another. Just be sure to give plenty of notice... Just note, that if you are an extended intern in the store, you may be let go immediately due to the pay associated with interns. My STL was nice enough to let me work the entire 2 weeks.

If you do decide to look elsewhere during the school, be extremely careful on LinkedIn... Stay away from headlines or profile content that alludes to your job search, and don't put your profile on publicly searchable databases that Target may use (including some College Career Services 'resume books').

bullseyekindaguy

Thanks for the advice @Hardlinesmaster , but I haven’t been accepted to the intern program yet. Actually haven’t applied yet because I was underthe impression it was only for external applicants so I will be double-checking that!

All 3 of my ETLs started as team members. Speak with your STL.
So just go to my STL and explain my situation? I have only met him once or twice so he probably doesn’t know who I am at this point. Walking into his office and asking for a promotion seems pretty audacious, but also sensible in a way...

Walking into his office and asking for a promotion seems pretty audacious, but also sensible in a way...

Don’t go in asking for the job. Just explain that you’re qualified and you want to know the best way to approach getting a TL or ETL position. Maybe catch your STL on the sales floor before waltzing into their office.

Thanks for the advice @Hardlinesmaster , but I haven’t been accepted to the intern program yet. Actually haven’t applied yet because I was underthe impression it was only for external applicants so I will be double-checking that!

@Hardlinesmaster gave excellent info about the internship. However, you won't qualify for the internship program since you graduated already. Most retail internships only accept students still working toward a degree. Usually, these interns just finished their 3rd year of college and will be graduating within 1-2 more years. You can try to see if you qualify for the EIT program instead. Ask your college's career center to see if they can connect you with a Target recruiter. Target usually recruits graduating college students and recent grads into the EIT program. I am unsure if you still qualify for EIT if you had your degree for awhile already but you never know until you try.

(Source: I have spoken to recruiters on-campus and looked at their program information.)

Last edited:
From my impressions, interns are expected to accept/decline the offer right away... This may not be true, but that's the way it seemed... After all, you spent 8 weeks as an intern, and should know whether or not you liked what you saw. Typically, they will offer you the position after the Operational Review session. Your recruiter will send you an invite to a conference call, she/he will ask about your thoughts and experiences, and then offer the position. After the verbal offer, they'll go over salary, benefits, and business college expectations. Of course, they'll disclaim that benefits may change, and all the legal crap they need to discuss.

Salary wise... My salary offer was $49,500. I had worked at Kmart for 5 years prior (including their own intern program and other supervisory roles), so I'm not sure if it was adjusted for prior experience. Since it was inline with the market rate (and above my expectations), I accepted immediately, and didn't bother to negotiate. The only probably with it is, if you're coming in with just a college degree, and no experience, you may not have a lot of wiggle room to negotiate.

You can always do what I did... I accepted Target's offer, and used the school year to search for other jobs within my degree program (HR)... Other interns in my program did the same, and only 2-4 ended up at Target after graduation. The rest of us found jobs within our degree program, or went for their master's degree. While it may seem unprofessional, it is common for people to accept one offer, while waiting for another. Just be sure to give plenty of notice... Just note, that if you are an extended intern in the store, you may be let go immediately due to the pay associated with interns. My STL was nice enough to let me work the entire 2 weeks.

If you do decide to look elsewhere during the school, be extremely careful on LinkedIn... Stay away from headlines or profile content that alludes to your job search, and don't put your profile on publicly searchable databases that Target may use (including some College Career Services 'resume books').

bullseyekindaguy

Glad to see my advice is still being shared, even after being gone for the company for 4 years.

Anyways, as others have said, if you want an ETL position it may be easier to leave and then re-apply.

While internal promote is possible, it will take much longer... And you'll probably have to become a TL and Sr. TL before being signed-off for ETL. Of course, you'll also [likely] go through the interview prep phases, development days (do they still do those?), and other development activities to get the support of your ETL, STL, and DTL. This may take a couple years, depending on the staffing needs of your district and your STL.

If you go the eternal 're-hire' route, your resume will be reviewed by a recruiter who is responsible for filling ETL positions. If you pass the resume review, you'll have (at least) three interviews with the recruiter, DTL, group leader, etc. Instead of waiting years, this process may only take a few weeks or a couple of months. Of course, the risk is that you don't get selected in the resume review, screw up an interview, or go through the process and are only offered a Sr. TL slot anyway (others have reported applying for ETL-level positions externally, but then being asked to develop as a Sr. TL first).

We recently had a backroom tm pass etl interviews. He was target tech, electronics tm, then backroom tl within a couple years.

I recently passed ETL interviews as an internal TM. It helped that I was AP at two different stores then, so I had 2 STLs pushing for me.

In reality, if you’re an internal it’s really going to depend on who you know (ETL and up) and if they see a future for you at Target. The interviews are important, yes, but they won’t happen without first having STL support. If they are serious about mentoring you, you will have enough mock interviews that the real thing will probably be a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back