Archived Interview Advice for Starbucks position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.
I have an interview coming up soon for the Starbucks team member position and I would appreciate some advice. I have interviewed for this position previously but it didn’t go well since it was my first time ever interviewing for a job and I didn’t know what to expect. What are some general tips for succeeding at a job interview as a high schooler who doesn’t have any work experience to give examples from? What should I do if I am an asked a question and I haven’t really had an experience related to it to talk about? (e.g. one question I tripped up on in my past interview was "Tell about a time you improved a procedure").
Also, what can I expect from a 2nd interview? Is it just more behavioral based questions or something else?
Thank you for your advice!

The Starbucks interview guide is the same as the regular food guide.

They will want you to give a situation, your behavior and what the outcome was. A three step answer.

It will specifically ask about prioritization, your ability to influence others, exceed customer expectations and expectations.

If you make it to B. It will ask about changing priorities to meet a deadline, adapting to change, working with others and how you handled something you were unfamiliar with.

Be upbeat, positive, energetic. BS if you have to, if you say ‘I don’t know’ or something along those lines, you shouldn’t, and won’t get the job. It’s fine to skip questions, simply ask to come back to it at the end. Listen closely to the questions. Talk up teamwork, give quick but concise answers that actually answer the question as it was asked.

Be upbeat, positive, energetic. BS if you have to, if you say ‘I don’t know’ or something along those lines, you shouldn’t, and won’t get the job. It’s fine to skip questions, simply ask to come back to it at the end. Listen closely to the questions. Talk up teamwork, give quick but concise answers that actually answer the question as it was asked.
I remember telling my interviewer to come back to a question. She goes “well, this is the last question”. I simply opened the bs flood gates.... got the job...

Dress nicely with closed shoes. You can't wear jewelry or nail polish in Starbucks, so don't go overboard with those.

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR HAIR OR FACE. You are trying to get a job in food service, and I won't consider you if you can't keep your hands off.

Starbucks is about being friendly and connecting with people, so make eye contact and give off a friendly vibe. Practice a friendly greeting with a teacher or parent. I have hired people whose answers were soso, but who seemed like a great fit. Also, sometimes, the decision is made before you even answer any of the questions! First impressions count.

If there is a question where you don't have that experience, that's fine. Just say something like, "I haven't had that happen yet, but if it did, this is what I would do." Remember that you can use examples from school, church group, sports teams, school plays etc. . . .

Good Luck!

Dress nicely with closed shoes. You can't wear jewelry or nail polish in Starbucks, so don't go overboard with those.

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR HAIR OR FACE. You are trying to get a job in food service, and I won't consider you if you can't keep your hands off.

Starbucks is about being friendly and connecting with people, so make eye contact and give off a friendly vibe. Practice a friendly greeting with a teacher or parent. I have hired people whose answers were soso, but who seemed like a great fit. Also, sometimes, the decision is made before you even answer any of the questions! First impressions count.

If there is a question where you don't have that experience, that's fine. Just say something like, "I haven't had that happen yet, but if it did, this is what I would do." Remember that you can use examples from school, church group, sports teams, school plays etc. . . .

Good Luck!
Great post. But is it true that you can’t wear nail polish? Why is that? I totally understand jewelry and fake nails, but what would nail polish do? Are they concerned about like dried pieces falling off?

Great post. But is it true that you can’t wear nail polish? Why is that? I totally understand jewelry and fake nails, but what would nail polish do? Are they concerned about like dried pieces falling off?

You also can't see if there is anything under the nails (i.e. dirt, filth or fungus). I think that it is a cleanliness issue.

The team at my old store decided that they don't want to wear hats anymore (or pay for any food or drinks).... Oh and they use their phones (which in general have a high bacterial count - think texting on the toilet) and go right to handling food. I no longer order there. It makes my stomach churn.

Are they concerned about like dried pieces falling off?

You also can't see if there is anything under the nails (i.e. dirt, filth or fungus). I think that it is a cleanliness issue.
Both of these.
If you wash your hands as frequently as you should between handling money, chemicals & foodstuffs that polish could eventually chip or flake off into someone's drink or food.
Also I've had to scrub under my nails frequently to get rid of mocha or frapp base because brown stains under the nails ALWAYS look like.....well, you get the idea.

eventually chip or flake off into someone's drink or food.
That happened to me once and I nearly DIED!!!
aaf_shock.gif

Seriously, I'd like to read the stats on that. It's more about not being to see the crap under the nail.

We have an all-girl team & nearly all paint their nails.
Several wear it even when it's chipped & peeling o_O

It's fine if they wear gloves.
They would not let me do this when I worked there. :rolleyes:
But yet, there was mass confusion when I stated that the shaker lid would have to go through the 3 sterp cleaning process after a 4-year SBX TM put in in the dump sink.
Not kidding, I did get diarrhea more than once after getting a drink there, before I worked there. I made my own drinks (which I paid for) when I worked there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back