Archived Interview for PMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kroneru

is choosing a custom title.
At the suggestion of my PMT I applied for the position at another store in the district. He has known me for 3 of my 4 years at Spot and the quality of work I do. Always giving me notice when a TL position was open but was very adamant I apply for PMT. Because of my work schedule and the interviewer's availability they planned a phone interview instead in a few days.

I was a GSTL in the past and the interviews were a breeze. My TL literally told me the position was mine and they were for formality, etc.. In order it were interviews with ETL Log (BRTM at the time) > STL > DTL with the last two being the easiest. The PMT put in a very good for me yet my concern this time is this position require skills I don't professionally have. He advised I shouldn't admit to not having some skills and say otherwise. They're more concerned if I know the job lingo and won't check to confirm anyway. I'm concerned with getting stuck in a statement that ruins my chances. Basic home repair projects, remodels, and minor electrical tasks I've done but I'm suppose to fluff it to "yeah I do it every other weekend, replace boilers and can heat/apply floor tile." I can say I know xzy but if they ask "how is it done" I'm screwed but he says they won't ask since 9.99/10 don't know it themselves and won't fact check what I do outside of Spot.

Aside from technical know how I can sell myself well: 4yrs with spot, attend volunteer events, TL experience, and trained dozens of TMs including whole teams, etc. My profile page has all of my work centers and for most I'm a go-to guy.

tl;dr PMT vouched for me to be one at a different store. Says I should lie about job experience since I can get trained for it afterwards but do it just to get the job. Otherwise I'm completely qualified. What should I say in my case for the PMT interview?

Last edited:
My old store hired a pmt who had very little know how on fixing things (the right way). It's not about knowing how sometimes it's about being willing and able to find a solution and execute. You would train at another store a while. Good luck.

I've actually talked about this with my PMT as well. He said very little hands on experience is required because you'll have tons of resources at your disposal to figure it out (including other PMTs in the district). It's more about communication, time management, and logic.

While I agree that it's probably not a great idea to come right out and say that you have no experience, I probably wouldn't be comfortable with lying and saying I do.

Also, my PMT made it sound like his interviews were with the STL and DTL, so they probably won't get too technical. His PMBP vouched for him and helped negotiate the pay rate, but didn't do an interview. It was a few years ago, so I'm not sure if that's still how it goes.

Last edited:
I about got hired to do a PMT position at a non-target store... or a maintenance position. Basically this retailer has regular maintenance positions for team members, whereas Target has just one single PMT that does all maintenance for the store. You don't really need THAT much experience, your experience with Target is long and good, and you were a GSTL at one point and you basically know how Target runs, and I believe that's enough to score a PMT position.

To make things even better; The position I about got hired for was when I applied for a Sporting Goods Fulltime position a while back and I preached the "I know basically everything sporting goods." and explained in detail that I'm highly knowledgable in fishing products, lures etc and guns, traps, etc, but instead the guy went "yeaaahhhhh ummm the best I can offer you is a maintenance position" and I was like "Huh? Well, I don't really do much maintenance stuff." and yeah I basically was told that's all I'm good for in his eyes, which I don't really care, maybe another company can benefit from my expertise in the area and my retail experience and customer service. In other words, he was ready to offer me a maintenance position for same pay I get at Target, knowing full well I don't fix things or ever have, and was confident I'd do good in it.

In the end, I declined, some things were turning around for me at Target and for the same pay, wasn't worth it.

I've actually talked about this with my PMT as well. He said very little hands on experience is required because you'll have tons of resources at your disposal to figure it out (including other PMTs in the district). It's more about communication, time management, and logic.

Exact same explanation from mine. Everything is done through the tablets, task jobs that take up too much time to others, always making it clear the job is easy if your time management skills are good and complete your work orders. There were examples he shared of BRTMs becoming PMTs solely because they had been with Spot for a while then performed horribly. If they could pass the interview I figure I'm over thinking it now.

Last edited:
I came into a PMT position as not very seasoned at fixing things but I sold myself well as being able to prioritize and using resources if I don't know the answer. With little knowledge, I was actually an upgrade to the guy who I was replacing who was known to be lazy and often would complete tasks much later than asked. I can say it is overwhelming to learn a position like this without some working knowledge of the position but a lot of times the things required of you will usually have instructions with it such as field projects.

Okay, good to know.

I was an external hire and came from a construction background. Not to toot my own horn, but my costs are substantially lower than the other stores in my district as a result of not having to call vendors/contractors for 85% of my work load.

That said, a technical background isn't necessary but it helps. As long as you're not afraid to take something apart or dive in to a new project you'll do fine. PM2Go is so chock full of information compared to what it use to be so a lot of PMT's that are clueless to certain aspects can still get a job done well.

Like @SFSFun Said, it's all about time management and communication. My ETL's try to pull me all sorts of ways to do things that are "out of my scope of work" so I either make time for them, or clearly explain why I can't help them at that moment. Good luck!

Phone interview in four hours. What is the wage range for a PMT? I read somewhere for my area it's around $18-$25.

Is that accessible anywhere so I can reference whatever they offer?

@HRZone might know.

My PMT said he was offered the base bump to Sr. TL pay, but his PMBP pushed for them to come back with a higher offer.

I was an external hire and came from a construction background. Not to toot my own horn, but my costs are substantially lower than the other stores in my district as a result of not having to call vendors/contractors for 85% of my work load.

That said, a technical background isn't necessary but it helps. As long as you're not afraid to take something apart or dive in to a new project you'll do fine. PM2Go is so chock full of information compared to what it use to be so a lot of PMT's that are clueless to certain aspects can still get a job done well.

Like @SFSFun Said, it's all about time management and communication. My ETL's try to pull me all sorts of ways to do things that are "out of my scope of work" so I either make time for them, or clearly explain why I can't help them at that moment. Good luck!

Thank you. Tinkering and ambition to learn new things are traits I'm known for. Workbench was my best friend as a seasonal tm and impart why I'm cross trained in many areas. I'll make great use of PM2Go aswell if lucky.

@HRZone might know.

My PMT said he was offered the base bump to Sr. TL pay, but his PMBP pushed for them to come back with a higher offer.

Good on him. In the end I didn't inquire about pay.

The phone interview lasted 35 minutes with near identical questions and structure for my old TL position; 2 situational and 4 pertaining directly to the job. A lot was shared but throughout I made emphasis on time management and communication being key to success on the job. Demonstrated how I used them in past experiences with positive outcomes. The PMBP noted I did very well answering his questions and should hear back within the week.

Last edited:
In our district it's all pretty much picked by district. If they asked you to interview for it you'd have to try to fail the interview, our newest didn't really even interview as he was already a tl for years. No real skills needed, but it helps. We don't hire external who have the skill set even though our district best is external from ages ago, and so good they send him to other districts to train newbies.

In our district it's all pretty much picked by district. If they asked you to interview for it you'd have to try to fail the interview, our newest didn't really even interview as he was already a tl for years. No real skills needed, but it helps. We don't hire external who have the skill set even though our district best is external from ages ago, and so good they send him to other districts to train newbies.

This is what mine is as well. My god, how many times, did he help me out as a PA, and then Signing. Not really doing it himself, but showing me how to do it. (Lol!)

There is now.

The first interview didn't lead to anything. A few weeks ago I decided to apply for PMT in a neighboring district. Three days ago I passed my third interview with the DTL and now waiting for the PMBP to contact me with more information. Training should start within a month supposedly.

Much appreciated.

Nice job! Like Fix It said, if you need help, don't hesitate. It's a lot to learn

Congrats! I firmly believe that PMT is one of the best jobs you can have in a Target store.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Also: Welcome to the lowest Position in corporate leadership. We’re a district level leader who’s aloud to be ran over by store side needs and overlooked by the district themselves :( the chaos will be restored once we report back to BPs (hopefully someday soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back