Archived Interviewing for cashier position

Status
Not open for further replies.
So next monday i will be interviewing for the cashier position in target. I know its store specific and since i have worked in retail for 4 years, i feel that most of the questions will be not too difficult to answer.

Any specific tips you guys might recommend for targets interviewing process?

At my store we're pretty much hiring anyone with a pulse to cashier at this point. Attendance has been so horrible we just need warm bodies, so depending on what store you go to you might just get in based on the fact that you've worked in retail before.

I know at mine past retail experience is enough to get you hired as long as you don't bomb the interview, like make no eye contact, talk about how much better you are than everyone else, stuff like that.

You will do great. Cashier interviews are all about showing you are likeable and can make a tough situation right for the guest.

I strongly disagree anyone with a pulse gets hired. My store we turn about half if our cashier interviews down.

You will do great. Cashier interviews are all about showing you are likeable and can make a tough situation right for the guest.

orangec88 - What HRZone said.

My store's ETL-GE (Target term for the assistant manager who is in charge of the front end) once told me that he pays attention to whether an applicant seems friendly and smiles. He said that when someone goes through the entire interview without smiling at all, he can't pass them as a cashier.

Also, read up on the benefits of a REDcard: <https://www.target.com/c/redcard/-/N-4tfyn>. My store's GSTL (Target term for the dept manager who is in charge of the cashiers) says that she likes when applicants are able to present the benefits of REDcards accurately.

orangec88 - What HRZone said.

My store's ETL-GE (Target term for the assistant manager who is in charge of the front end) once told me that he pays attention to whether an applicant seems friendly and smiles. He said that when someone goes through the entire interview without smiling at all, he can't pass them as a cashier.

Also, read up on the benefits of a REDcard: <https://www.target.com/c/redcard/-/N-4tfyn>. My store's GSTL (Target term for the dept manager who is in charge of the cashiers) says that she likes when applicants are able to present the benefits of REDcards accurately.

The link doesn't work. says access denied.

Update.

I'm pretty confident my interview went well and she liked the fact that i am flexible and wiling to do the tasks mentioned and she told me one guy she interviewed said: no and we had a quick laugh about that one. so then she asked me situational questions which i was a little nervous about because i had so many situations that it was hard to pick one so i answered the questions as best of my ability and she seemed satisfied with that. But i smiled, was friendly and we even chatted on how the day was. She also told me that its good i applied before the hiring event.

So far i was interviewed by one person, and she said they will give me a call back.

Update.

I'm pretty confident my interview went well and she liked the fact that i am flexible and wiling to do the tasks mentioned and she told me one guy she interviewed said: no and we had a quick laugh about that one. so then she asked me situational questions which i was a little nervous about because i had so many situations that it was hard to pick one so i answered the questions as best of my ability and she seemed satisfied with that. But i smiled, was friendly and we even chatted on how the day was. She also told me that its good i applied before the hiring event.

So far i was interviewed by one person, and she said they will give me a call back.
If your availability was open/flexible, you should be expecting a call back very soon. Needs of the store and where you will be placed is really all you are waiting on now.

Nope not yet. I will probably give them a ring tomorrow see where i stand.

UPDATE:

So i called back just now and told the operator that i was interviewed last week, and that he would check on someone from HR. it sounded like he was repeating what someone else was telling him over the phone as the operator sounded like a young teen that didn't know what he was saying. So according to him, I can still come to the hiring event that's coming up.

Can i still do that even though i was already interviewed, because the operator was no help at all and couldn't even get me in touch with someone else?

Yeah I'd check in at the hiring event...I think there is a lot on HR plate rn

Call back for HR. You can't apply twice in a month. Sounds like a crappy operator.

The operator told me, Unfortunately my cashier position was filled.

Do you apply at the hiring event or do you have to have the application into the system. a bit confusing.

Yeah im going to do that, it seems he was just reiterating what someone else was telling him because he kept putting me on hold.

I don't think an operator should be telling TM or prospective employees info like that. It should be HR only...and by that I mean HR should communicate directly not via a game of telephone. How unprofessional and rude.

The operator told me, Unfortunately my cashier position was filled.
Our HRTMs never tell someone they were turned down (especially over the phone); they always say to watch for an email/card in the mail pending further instructions.

Our HRTMs never tell someone they were turned down (especially over the phone); they always say to watch for an email/card in the mail pending further instructions.

Except when they got a turndown email and call us anyways. If the OP did not get an email they should go to the hiring event. Some people are turned down but don't check their email.

I got an email saying they weren't hiring and a week later they called me in for an interview.

Okay so a little update. I called another target store not too far and talked to an HR person and she said i can have my application forwarded to her store and she can certainly take a look at it and that i can go to the hiring event at her store and she can interview me over there. So i called the original store i applied to again and magically the system prompted me to stay on the line with a "we are now hiring message, please stay on the line for more details." so i did and i was forwarded to a TM and not a clueless operator lol. So she explained that the HR people are busy right now doing orientations and meetings and that they will not be available after 3pm toda,y when they are not so busy. So for now im going to call back and tell them if they have all their positions filled to go ahead and forward the application to the other store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back