Archived inventory shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all,
I’ve started working at Target about 5 months ago as a softlines team member. Today team leader told me I would be getting scheduled for inventory in a couple weeks from 10-6:30PM. Can someone please explain the specific tasks/duties and what to expect during a softlines inventory shift? Is it pretty easy or stressful? I’ve never worked in retail before so I’m just curious as to how inventory works.
My coworker today told me it’s odd that I’ve been scheduled for inventory because they usually pick people who’ve been there more than a year.

It's easy, it's mostly a social event. There is a team (regis) who comes and scans your inventory and looks for items not on file. They occasionally yell sku, you shoot the item with a mydevice and they take it out.

It's a pretty boring process but at my store we dress up in themes

It’s basically a quick superzone of the area. Making sure the facings are correct. Items can be stacked on top so long as it’s neat (ex. Canned soup, toothpaste) pulling out any damaged, defective, not on file, online only items. Printing barcodes so RGIS can scan them come the day of inventory.

The more the team fixes then, the less sku checks the overnight team has to run around for later.

Time to see how many yellow paper strips I can collect around the store for the next 6 months

RGIS has followed me from job to job, it's all the same people too which is funny. "Hey it's you! Got out of Walmart finally huh?"

In A&A, you'll go to all the folded tables and turn the shirts and pull the tags so they're facing out so that they can be scanned. Also making sure everything is super zoned. All socks/underwear are on the correct peg. If an item doesn't have a tag, make one. All shoes are in their correct box.

Are you sure it's 10-6:30pm and not 10pm-6:30am?

Inventory is done overnight, mostly while the store is closed.

And while there are inventory prep shifts as well, it's unlikely that your TL would go out of their way to inform you of an inventory prep shift before the schedule is even done.

Whoops I meant 10pm-6:30am.
Ok yeah so you'll be there for inventory itself. It's mostly just standing around while the people who work for the inventory company count everything. If something doesn't come up in their system, they yell "SKU CHECK" and you go find the DPCI for it.

As backroom, inventory is one of our favorite days of the year. Such an easy shift pretty much hanging out

If you are Softlines, you will have to zone all the tables.

It really depends on where you're assigned. I've run inventory every year for the last five years and I'm always hanging out with RGIS to listen for SKU checks but we also have people assigned to come in and zone behind RGIS during the overnight shift. You could end up in either position or both depending on how your leadership runs inventory

Thanks. This reminds me, my store has Inventory this upcoming Thursday. The first bit of traction started last week Monday. Only 2 people have been prepping (Zone, Drop, Update) the main backroom and one on the salefloor. Not very speedy as stock is still everywhere and we barely have enough people to continuously prepare. I am predicting for RGIS to come in with an expressive mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back