Archived Is it bad hitting exactly 40 hours on the time clock machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store is very strict about missing punches and hitting meal violations, usually I hear on the walkie whoever is the LOD "(Name here) sir/ma'am you are prompting for meal." which infers that either this person has to either End Work or Start Meal before they reach their 6 hour.

What about reaching 40 exactly? I keep track of my hours every day. Normally I'm being scheduled 38-40, but sometimes due to something I'm asked to stay longer or something and it accumulates more minutes, and then I end up appearing on the Projected OT report, then either Hr, my TL or ETL warn me about it, and ask me if I can take longer meals (few minutes) or leave some minutes earlier.

Is hitting 40 exactly the same as when your hit your meal hour (6 hours in my state)?

Last edited:
My store is very strict about missing punches and hitting meal violations, usually I hear on the walkie whoever is the LOD "(Name here) sir/ma'am you are prompting for meal." which infers that either this person has to either End Work or Start Meal before they reach their 6 hour.

What about reaching 40 exactly? I keep track of my hours every day. Normally I'm being scheduled 38-40, but sometimes due to something I'm asked to stay longer or something and it accumulates more minutes, and then I end up appearing on the Projected OT report, then either Hr, my TL or ETL warn me about it, and ask me if I can take longer meals (few minutes) or leave some minutes earlier.

Is hitting 40 exactly the same as when your hit your meal hour (6 hours in my state)?

Follow your store's Lunch compliance policy.

Hitting exactly 40 hrs is not bad. Hitting 40 hrs + 1min is bad if not approved for OT.

I've never known anyone to freak out if we hit say 40.2 hours or something at my store. If its a week where they are watching payroll, HR or a TL will adjust our schedule so we dont hit 40. Other weeks, like this current one, OT is fine. I'm getting 4 hours of OT this week because we are so short - staffed.

I had 6 minutes of OT one week during the Christmas/New Year doing old school FA shifts. Got a coaching out of it.

A few weeks back I was scheduled for 40 for the first time in literally years. I didn't want to accidentally have even a minute of OT, so the last 2 days of my schedule I kept checking my time card on eHR and would do the math. My total hours for that week: 39.99.

To the OP: if you are scheduled for 40 and work exactly 40, you are fine. But, for the best relationship with management, don't even go 40.01.

Hitting 40 exactly is fine. I do it every week and it doesn't send me into OT.

Going even 1 minute over will send you into OT and the reaction from HR depends on your store and how far over you go.

Hitting 40 exactly is fine. I do it every week and it doesn't send me into OT.

Going even 1 minute over will send you into OT and the reaction from HR depends on your store and how far over you go.

This once you go a minute over 40 you end up on "the report"

I constantly go over , my TL is fine with it. I will be doing it until someone says something, and then ,let the games begin...

I've been told you have to hit 40.5 before "anyone really cares" but that's probably just a thing for my own store. I've gone over by .1 or .2 with no repercussions, probably because the time clock doesn't always show your worked hours detailed enough to know which way it's been rounded.

I've been told you have to hit 40.5 before "anyone really cares" but that's probably just a thing for my own store. I've gone over by .1 or .2 with no repercussions, probably because the time clock doesn't always show your worked hours detailed enough to know which way it's been rounded.
If you clock in for an 8 hour shift at the end of the week and it says you're at 32.0 hours, you are going over. It would say 32 with no decimal if you were exactly on time. Plus you can always use the TM functions on the clock to see the full hours worked and you can also check the projected OT report that should be posted somewhere near the clock.

I don't think I ever got 40 hours at Target. I work close to 50 hours a week now that I left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back