Archived Is it bad if I call out during my last two weeks (to use up my sick leave)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m thinking about calling out today (second to last shift before I go 👋) so I can use up my remaining sick hours.

Will this negatively affect me?

Anytime you call out, it can negatively affect you.
If you are burning bridges though, consequences shouldn’t dictate your actions.

No matter the job, it will definitely leave a bad taste in your employer's mouth.

Ask yourself this:

Do you ever plan to list Target on your resume, as a reference for a future position or expect to ever work at a target again? If so, then it will probably leave a bad parting impression, and it could very well be something Target writes on your file and brings up if a future employer comes knocking, or you reapply.

If you don't plan on ever referencing or working for Target again, then don't worry about it, burn as many bridges as you'd like.

No matter the job, it will definitely leave a bad taste in your employer's mouth.

Ask yourself this:

Do you ever plan to list Target on your resume, as a reference for a future position or expect to ever work at a target again? If so, then it will probably leave a bad parting impression, and it could very well be something Target writes on your file and brings up if a future employer comes knocking, or you reapply.

If you don't plan on ever referencing or working for Target again, then don't worry about it, burn as many bridges as you'd like.
Target can’t give references! Team lead and ETLs can only give personal ones not professional

It's probably a moot point by now, but calling out the second to last shift and going in the last shift looking appropriately miserable and icky wouldn't be nearly as damaging as calling out for the last one.

Technically Target can only verify employment dates. That's because if they say something bad they can be sued. Thinking ahead and getting the number to corporate employment verification so the potential employer doesn't call the store would be helpful. But.....I did have an annoying little brat of a manager (she sounded barely out of teen years) call the store and demand over and over to talk to the SrTL over softlines and refuse to hang up when I business-speak said no, so there are those who don't play by the rules.

Professional references these days are coworkers you can talk into vouching for you. Business-speak, they have seen how you handle your responsibilities and your work ethic and can attest to your strong performance.

Reactions: DBZ
Or simply ask HR to submit as many hours of sick pay as possible? I’ve done that plenty of times before for TMs who were on their way out and wanted to cash out what they could for whatever PTO they have accrued.

Or simply ask HR to submit as many hours of sick pay as possible? I’ve done that plenty of times before for TMs who were on their way out and wanted to cash out what they could for whatever PTO they have accrued.
That’s technically against targets policy unless your state is a payout state. Sick time can only be used for time you were scheduled. I’m not saying it’s not a a good idea because target can definitely afford it but definitely against policy

That’s technically against targets policy unless your state is a payout state. Sick time can only be used for time you were scheduled. I’m not saying it’s not a a good idea because target can definitely afford it but definitely against policy
A lot of things done are against policy. But if a TM is leaving on good terms I’ll do what I can to make sure that last check is as nice as possible. We don’t want our guests to leave feeling like they could’ve just gone to Walmart, so why should an otherwise good TM be expected to leave that way?

Last edited:
A lot of things done are against policy. But if a TM is leaving on good terms I’ll do what I can to make sure that last check is as nice as possible. We don’t want our guests to leave feeling like they could’ve just gone to Walmart, so why should an otherwise good TM be expected to leave that way?
I wasn’t disagreeing with you... just saying you can definitely get fired for that.

Go on Workday.
Go to your profile.
Go to the 3 dots in the upper right corner.
Click "job change"
Click "resign"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back