Answered Is it normal to be stuck in the store after closing?

I recently started as a hardline and have been working until close. The closing shift ends at 11pm, at which point everyone clocks out. Because the store is closed, though, we have to wait for the LOD to let us out, which usually takes 15-20 minutes since he’s finishing up his closing duties.

I’ve found this really frustrating because my other job starts early and I’d like to get home and to sleep ASAP once my shift ends. The other reason, though, is that this unpaid time adds up to over an hour and a half per week.

Is this normal? Do I just put up with it?

At my store, only one other person stays to walk out with the closing TL, usually whoever was the HSA since they help close the registers. Everyone else is free to leave after punching out as long as they leave with someone else or as a group.

15-20 minutes is a lot of unpaid time especially when there is more that one employee who has to wait for the LOD and it can happen everyday.

when i have to wait (usually my situation is when we come in early and the TL takes time to open the door and we end up being late), i do a punch correction and let them know i was waiting for the key holder.
luckily now we have a door that is for team members and near the timeclock and also the TL in the morning reviews the schedule and wait when people start to buzz in.

YUP...very common.

I had Execs who would let the entire team walk out together. Only the closing TLs woulds would walk out with the Exec.

Then there are the Execs where all the entire closing team walks out together. If you are waiting more than 15 minutes, punch correction.

YUP...very common.

I had Execs who would let the entire team walk out together. Only the closing TLs woulds would walk out with the Exec.

Then there are the Execs where all the entire closing team walks out together. If you are waiting more than 15 minutes, punch correction.
We were told 5 minutes. We are allowed to leave the building when we are not on the clock.

You could ask to go home when the store closes that way you don't have to stay. My store let's people do this if your work center is looking good.

YUP...very common.

If you are waiting more than a couple of minutes do the punch correction. It becomes a bigger issue when it becomes O/T.

As a Closing Lead I follow up with everyone that’s in the building after the store is closed and align whatever duties I’m working on with the times people need to leave. If a TM has to wait for me, I tell them to never clock out until I get ther or ask them to. I try my best to not have TM’s waiting long times. I think this falls on the Closing TL. And to me it’s just being a decent human being and making sure the TM’s are treated right. Hate, hate, hate having them wait on me!

And yes, my current store doesn’t have a side door. It was one of the surprising details I found when I started there. Really miss having that option...it makes a world of difference.

When everyone does a punch correction it will be noticed. That's when the tl stealing your time and holding you hostage will stop doing it.

This is your answer right here.

It's one thing to wait 5 minutes, but if you're being held there because they tell you that you're unable to leave then that's a tasking, and you should be getting paid.

If you punch out and choose not to leave that's on you. If you punch out after your shift but you're told you have to wait to exit the building, that's on them. I wouldn't punch out until they come to let you out. If that's a problem talk to HR.

HR is probably not going to care unless it's the entire team, and not just you.

Why doesn't everyone leaving with the closing TL just go punch out when the leader is ready to leave? Everyone punches out and then walks out together.

Back