Archived Is it true that former employees that were marked “non rehirable” are actually eligible for rehire now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah well I did everything from photo lab team member to ETL Logistics overnights in an 80-90 million dollar store... once you've learned the job, it's just repetitive muscle memory... sorry, I'm not insulting your intellect... but your job does indeed not require much brain power. Just because you have coworkers that are brain dead doesn't mean you're doing something intellectually challenging. Your personal IQ could be 150 for all I know, though I doubt it based on that response... my point is that not even the STL has an intellectually challenging job. It's... retail...

For the record, my IQ is pushing 140 and the job I have now is even less intellectually challenging than Target was, for what it's worth... don't take things so personal.
I don't think I was ever particularly intellectually challenged working at Target. Crunched for time to finish tasks? Sure, but that wasn't a matter of intelligence, it was a matter of superiors not scheduling enough people.

That said, I had plenty of colleagues that struggled with the most basic of tasks. That however doesn't make the tasks hard, it just makes those people inept.

If Target jobs have an IQ barrier, I'd consider it in the ballpark of 80.
I don't believe the tasks are hard or intellectually challenging, just that my job is not a joke.

Also, I wasn't really taking it personally until the bolded statement. Unnecessarily rude.

You were an ETL-LOG and never used your brain? Ever? That explains a lot about the state of leadership and backrooms in some stores.

And now we are even, so truce?

I don't believe the tasks are hard or intellectually challenging, just that my job is not a joke.

Also, I wasn't really taking it personally until the bolded statement. Unnecessarily rude.

You were an ETL-LOG and never used your brain? Ever? That explains a lot about the state of leadership and backrooms in some stores.

And now we are even, so truce?

Ha, my teams loved me and my process functioned flawlessly... I took a red backroom in location accuracy and not coming clean on backstock that had been red for 2 years straight through 4 ETLs and had it to green / its highest location accuracy ever (20 year old store at the time) within 3 months... my previous store was #1 out of close to 60 stores... above 99.5% location accuracy...

You don't use your brain when you post, apparently... wild assumptions with no proof. At least my estimation of you is rooted in what I can see... you're just throwing shit to the wall to see if it'll stick, sorry, not today. Low IQ.

P.S. Your job is a joke. As is mine currently... as I said, it's easier than Target was. It was never meant to be personal, but now it is.

Ha, my teams loved me and my process functioned flawlessly... I took a red backroom in location accuracy and not coming clean on backstock that had been red for 2 years straight through 4 ETLs and had it to green / its highest location accuracy ever (20 year old store at the time) within 3 months... my previous store was #1 out of close to 60 stores... above 99.5% location accuracy...

You don't use your brain when you post, apparently... wild assumptions with no proof. At least my estimation of you is rooted in what I can see... you're just throwing shit to the wall to see if it'll stick, sorry, not today. Low IQ.

P.S. Your job is a joke. As is mine currently... as I said, it's easier than Target was. It was never meant to be personal, but now it is.
Dude, it's not that serious. No need to go there. Wow.

I use my intelligence at work. You don't. Different strokes.

I agree with @happygoth . What would y'all tell a guest when she asked for disinfectant wipes for wiping down a baby's toys? When a guest wanted white jeggings and there are no white jeggings in the store, how would you secure the sale? When a guest asks for what the price would be on a percentage off sale, also accounting for red card and any other applicable discounts, what number would you give them? When you've got two people on hold, you're counting one person out of the fitting room and two people in, plus the person standing at the desk waiting for help in baby hardlines, how do you make them all happy at once and get accurate counts to boot? How do you keep up with all the interesting ways people steal from the fitting room and conceal it, and recognize them fast enough to tip off AP? How do you determine if something broken is a "I'll tell leadership when I see them" and "Okay, this isn't good, this is urgent and I have to figure out a temporary fix while leadership figures out something more permanent" (example, exposed wiring). When a new mother describes a common skin condition her baby has and asks for medicine, what do you say? Best one, when a man who is picking out a breast pump for his wife asks the difference between let down stage and expressive stage, how do you handle being informative while discussing what happens within a breast, rather than embarrassed and lack of information or too graphic.

These are just a few of the things that I experienced that required intelligence, specifically problem solving. Problem solving to save the sale, problem solving to make sure that your advice is not harmful when it comes to babies, problem solving to safely secure maintenance issues until the PMT could do a permanent fix, problem solving to figure out every niche and cranny that price tags can be put. Problem solving to judge correctly when someone coming out of the fitting room is acting just not right and the room should be immediately searched, problem solving to do the math quickly and in a way that a guest is satisfied about the end total, problem solving to juggle multiple guests and assess their needs so priority is right.

Softlines wasn't just hanging up clothes and I doubt it's devolved to that in the past 4 months.

Thank you @Tessa120! Exactly!

@Not My Name, as I said, one does not have to be a genius to work in retail, but many areas require folks to use their noggins. No, we aren't curing diseases or discovering new stars, but we are the people that most people deal with on a daily basis, and having a decent dose of intelligence along with a positive attitude can be the difference between a good, pleasant retail experience and an unpleasant and dissatisfying one for our guests.

Brother I'm pretty sure he/she just disagreed with what you said and offered a different perspective. I don't have a horse in this race but you just look like a dick lol.

A friend of mine works hr at some store and said they no longer check or no longer keep track of this or whatever and I just found it impossible to believe.

She said it has something to do with the extreme levels of turnover but frankly I don’t believe her.

Does anyone know one way or the other? I don’t want to come back... I walked out of an 80k a year job with target for 35k and I’ve never been happier in terms of my work life but you never know what the future holds...
Back on topic: a friend of mine was fired from Target 2 years ago. She has reapplied several times over the years and never got an email or a call or anything from any store she applied to. Recently, after the updates to the hiring system, she got an interview at a store and it went well. They did a conditional job offer and even set up an orientation. A few days later, she got a call from them saying they weren't going to follow through with the hire. I spoke to my HRTL about it and he said they don't see someone marked as not rehireable until much later in the process now, so they probably didn't know about it at first, then they found out after the job offer and rescinded it. My friend was not happy to have gone through all of that just to get the same result... Imagine getting a job offer and an orientation and then to be told "Just kidding, we found out you got fired 2 years ago, so we won't be hiring you, even though we don't know why."

Your personal IQ could be 150 for all I know, though I doubt it based on that response...

For the record, my IQ is pushing 140 and the job I have now is even less intellectually challenging than Target was, for what it's worth... don't take things so personal.
Are you sure it's 140? Because you're simultaneously attacking him and telling him to not take it personally and not seeing the connection.

Back on topic: a friend of mine was fired from Target 2 years ago. She has reapplied several times over the years and never got an email or a call or anything from any store she applied to. Recently, after the updates to the hiring system, she got an interview at a store and it went well. They did a conditional job offer and even set up an orientation. A few days later, she got a call from them saying they weren't going to follow through with the hire. I spoke to my HRTL about it and he said they don't see someone marked as not rehireable until much later in the process now, so they probably didn't know about it at first, then they found out after the job offer and rescinded it. My friend was not happy to have gone through all of that just to get the same result... Imagine getting a job offer and an orientation and then to be told "Just kidding, we found out you got fired 2 years ago, so we won't be hiring you, even though we don't know why."

Did she leave her previous experience off of her application? Or was it there?

Are you sure it's 140? Because you're simultaneously attacking him and telling him to not take it personally and not seeing the connection.
And how was it tested? I know those online tests always boost my IQ around 20-25 points from actual, and I know that not a lot of people have reason to have a psychological evaluation.

The online tests by no means boost scores by 20-25 points.
Scores will vary test to test, which is why people who score several standard deviations off normal are usually considered to be scored rather imprecisely.

But I have never seen an online test that was giving out scores of ~120-125 to the average person. I took an official handwritten test when I was in highschool, approximately 15 years ago. I scored 145, I have scored 140-155 pretty consistently as well on online tests.

Last edited:
Handwritten test in high school? That doesn't sound very reliable, unless a psychologist was administering it.

I frequently get 140-145 on the online tests, and my IQ was tested as part of a psych eval as 121. During my daughter's evaluation, the psychologist said an IQ test is actually made up of 6 sub-tests and while there are 6 common ones, there's several sub-tests that can be used if a false result is suspected. She told me this because 5 sub-tests showed my daughter 119-122 but one showed mild mental retardation. It involved social situations so when she substituted an equivalent sub-test the result was in line with the other 5.

So, did you have an official IQ test administered by a psychologist made up of 6 sub-test that took hours? Or was the handwritten test a simple thing administered by someone other than a psychologist?

I didn't say taken at high school. I said taken when in high school. Those are very different things. The latter refers to an era of my life. The school had tried to put me on medication for behavioral issues. My mother refused, and said I only acted out because I was not challenged by the curriculum, and that they needed to put me in classes that would actually challenge and interest me. She had me take an official test as a result.

Official IQ tests do not need to be administered by psychologists, and I don't know where you get the idea that they do. MENSA, for example, does not send applicants to see a psychologist, they do however require you take a test in person as opposed to online.

There's also no part of a IQ test that should ever involve social situations. It is a test of intelligence, not aptitude. It's not meant to measure someone's overall capabilities in life. IQ tests are solely designed to measure pattern recognition skills and critical problem solving skills.

People with above average IQ test results are quite often socially awkward due to having little in common with their peers. If social aptitude were weighed into the equation many of the worlds smartest people would score quite low on IQ tests.

Last edited:
Weird. I'd have expected them to terminate the offer if she'd completely neglected to mention it, but not if she had already done so and it was deemed okay by the people interviewing her.

It was a fairly standard Stanford-Binet IQ-test. Your personal preference for newer testing methodologies (that frankly don't solely measure intelligence, but instead attempt to measure overall ability) does not invalidate the results of the standard IQ test format that has been in use for over 100 years.

That was unexpected. Interviewed at my old store, was literally not even asked why I had left previously. Entire interview lasted 5-10 minutes, she told me she'd speak to ETL-HR and have the background check email sent to me, and that orientation would likely be next week. Possible it goes the route if Xanatos's friend despite that, but all signs I could read during the interview at least seemed very positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back