Archived Is it unprofessional to talk about mental health on the Sales floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always tell my coworkers that I don’t feel pain because I’m already dead inside. If someone says “Wow that’s dark” I just say “Just like the hole that’s inside of me.”

One of the things I want people to know is when it is appropriate to call an ambulance and when it isn't.
I don't want them calling an ambulance for every seizure but there are certain times when it should be done.
Making sure all the staff, from the ones who have been there a while to the newbies, is a good idea.

As to the guests overhearing, I once did a short presentation on epilepsy during a huddle and a guest was walking by.
She came up to me afterwards, showing me her medical alert tag, and was effusive in her thanks for sharing the information.
She was older and had grown up when you hid that kind of thing.
I knew a child that had both grand mal and petit mal seizures. He probably still does, but I haven't seen him in a long time. The petit mal were probably worse when it came to understanding that there was a medical crisis. One nurse even thought there was nothing wrong, his mother said the nurse only believed her when during yet another visit the nurse dropped her pen and was eye to eye level with the child when a seizure happened.

And with mental illness, yeah sometimes getting the coworker off stage to an appropriate calming location is right, sometimes calling a family member is right, sometimes dropping everything and calling 911 is right. It would be bad to destroy someone's future by calling 911 needlessly when a person the coworker trusts can talk them down, but it'd also be bad to ignore everything and that's the time when things are so bad that injury or death happens. Being open and honest in advance will help considerably. I one time did have a boss (elsewhere) take me out of the office and talk me partially down from a full blown paranoid delusion, she told me her logic, her view, and told me that I really needed my doctor. I still had the delusion but I trusted her enough to believe her perceptions over my own and realize my brain had to be fucking with me yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back