Archived Is my HR full of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I justrctried to call off for tomorrow'sshift at 7 am, and the operator ( hr) said i would have to wait till the day of. I just need to know if that is correct.

My store would take the call. Did you talk to LOD, or HRTM?

Any time anyone answers the phone at my store and they hear its a team member or LOD, they transfer right away. No one wants to deal with that. Your opperator sounds like she think shes above the law of Target and can make up her own rules.

Any time anyone answers the phone at my store and they hear its a team member or LOD, they transfer right away. No one wants to deal with that. Your opperator sounds like she think shes above the law of Target and can make up her own rules.
She does I cringe when she's operator.

With a 7am start I am really surprised this happened to you. However I can say if you have a mid or closing shift and try to call out the night before it can backfire.

We had someone call the night before for a 12pm hardlines shift. LOD took the call and said you cant call out, wake up the next day and if you still dont feel better then you can call out otherwise NCNS.

Stupid but thats how some leaders treat absences

I've seen some HRTMs who think they're an ETL, all the way to just sitting and talking to people and not doing a thing.

I've seen some HRTMs who think they're an ETL, all the way to just sitting and talking to people and not doing a thing.

This is true and I hated the image of being an ETLs pet.

When we are thin I have no problem pushing a CAF or hopping on a lane. Now when TMs b--- to me, I am not just nodding my head pretending to care but I actually know how challenging their job is and sympathize with them

This is true and I hated the image of being an ETLs pet.

When we are thin I have no problem pushing a CAF or hopping on a lane. Now when TMs b--- to me, I am not just nodding my head pretending to care but I actually know how challenging their job is and sympathize with them

Why I do love our HRTM's(we have two) they actually will help out anywhere they are trained for. One was a GSA/cash office the other softlines/cashier they will fill in out on the floor as needed.

Why I do love our HRTM's(we have two) they actually will help out anywhere they are trained for. One was a GSA/cash office the other softlines/cashier they will fill in out on the floor as needed.

I am HR TM and I am always willing to help out in the areas I am trained in (GS, Cashier,GSA, Cash office, Flex fill and signing). I have pushed CAFs as well. I would love to be trained for sales floor and starbucs so I can help out when we need extra hands or have call outs.

With a 7am start I am really surprised this happened to you. However I can say if you have a mid or closing shift and try to call out the night before it can backfire.

We had someone call the night before for a 12pm hardlines shift. LOD took the call and said you cant call out, wake up the next day and if you still dont feel better then you can call out otherwise NCNS.

Stupid but thats how some leaders treat absences
Which is why you don't say why you are calling out. You just inform them you are. They can't ask. Unless you do it often it shouldn't be an issue.

My current HRTMs are amazing and help out if things get crazy, and they are always making sure everything gets done right. My old store's HRTM...she was/is a piece of work. Never helped, ETLs give her the special treatment because she's good looking. All she does is her HR tasks and arts and crafts.

This reminds me of when I first started at Target and worked third shift. It was mid afternoon and I knew I wouldn't be able to make it in that night. Called the store and spoke to the LOD, who was the STL. Told him I was calling off for the shift that night. He questioned why I was calling off so early (about 8 hours before my shift). Told him I was just giving them as much notice as possible so they can possibly fill my shift since I knew I wouldn't be in. He says okay, that he'll let the overnight LOD know.

Turns out nobody was told and I ended up with a NCNS. Once I told my ETL the story they said thanks for trying to give the advance notice but next time just call at night instead so they actually get the message.

Not sure if that NCNS was ever rescinded.

To reiterate: The HRTM should not be "screening" your call like that.

You can certainly call out a day ahead.
Now granted - if someone calls in like 24 hours in advance for weather/sick - I'll usually reply with "Let's wait and see how you're feeling tomorrow" or "Let's wait and see how the weather pans out in the next 12 hours or so" - something along those lines. Now I might not question it with some TM's but you get the ones who are frequent offenders. It discourages some - and others will still call but they get my message as well.

Anyway - as others have said - just call and ask for an LOD, don't give a reason why. There's no reason anyone except an LOD should be asking you why you need an LOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back