Archived Is this really company policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitii

yeah
Forgive me if this belongs in "I'm lost" I'm not too sure.

But I just got back from another Target location and I was chatting up the cashier talking about my Target store and hers and all so when it comes time to pay I ask if I can use my employee number because they still haven't given me my discount card (or...even a name tag) in the two months I've been there and yet the others who got hired with me have. Despite the amount of times I've asked for either, I always get a "yeah we'll get it to you!" or something similar. SO YEAH, I ask if I can use it and she's like "no sorry you have to have the card it's company policy" and I've literally never heard of it being a ""company policy"" like no one at my store cares much about it, nor mentioned any sort of policy about it. So she asks the TL who is also like "nope sorry company policy."

Is this an actual thing because I'm actually pretty miffed because it's not exactly my fault I don't have a discount card yet...and you know the discount button exists so I can give them my number.

On a related note; would I be able to go to my Target with my receipt, tell them what happened, and get my discount that way?

when I worked the register I never keyed in numbers unless I knew the TM worked in my store. When I watched the lanes and now I won't let cashiers hand key TM #'s. I was told its against company policy so I go with it.

Yep, technically, you HAVE to have the card in store, as well as your ID. In your own store, we have no trouble typing in your employee number. But in any other store, you need the card. They're supposed to ask for ID too, but I've never had someone do that.

Also request a discount card on eHR.
Attempted that one, not sure how to proceed here:

135d3b56a0bedc572c582bafd6e9ba4b.png

I don't have the option to save it or even pick different card options.

In my cashiering times over the last year I've never really been directly told not to, but I would think most cashiers should have some suspicions if they don't know the team member in question, when they mention it. As legend2828 said, I also would only do that if I'm friendly with or know the team member. Anyone else would be able to just claim they were a team member by either using a friend's numbers or possibly even using numbers that somehow get through the system (unlikely but you never know)...

It looks like it may have been too soon since you have ordered a new card :/

My store puts new TM discount cards in with the checks. Try asking HR or a leader to see if the same thing is done at your store and if so see if someone can check in the payroll box.

In the mean time, try asking your HR to give you a new temporary card so you have something to show the cashier if they ask.

It looks like it may have been too soon since you have ordered a new card :/

My store puts new TM discount cards in with the checks. Try asking HR or a leader to see if the same thing is done at your store and if so see if someone can check in the payroll box.

In the mean time, try asking your HR to give you a new temporary card so you have something to show the cashier if they ask.
I've never ordered a card on eHR before, it's always been like that. The times I asked were in store to various people including a GSA, GSTL, and HR. I'll try asking if there is a card for me with my check at least. It's really annoying not having the card OR a name tag after being there for two months and everyone acting surprised about it when...guys I've asked some of you multiple times.

Your store should've given you a temporary discount card when you started.
Yeah, and it expired a month and a half ago so I doubt they would have taken that one anyways. Might have been worth a shot, but I stopped carrying it around after it expired.

Yeah, and it expired a month and a half ago so I doubt they would have taken that one anyways. Might have been worth a shot, but I stopped carrying it around after it expired.

Like @LogisticsFox suggested, see if HR will write you a new temporary card. As a team member, you should be able to use your discount.

You should really only be pestering HR for badges.. afaik ETL/HR/TMs are the only ones that get budget to order new ones so if you ask others, you're just hoping they remember to pass the info along. You could also try leaving HR a note asking them for the badge.

I had one store refuse to type in my number even though I had a discount card (barcode was faded) and they acted like they were doing me a favor when I complained about it.

Ever since I've found my picture namebadge again, I've been using that. They're rare nowadays and I always get TMs from other stores asking me about it :D

Yep, if you don't work at our store, you have to present your actual card. If it's worn out, we will type it in, but you still have to show it. "Well, I don't have to show it at MY store," they like to protest. Of course. That's because they know you.

Keep bugging HR about it. They should be able to help you order one or get to the bottom of why you can't.

We had a tm at my store who tried to give me their tm number, verbally from another store buying an expensive item. I told them, you don't work at my store & you have no badge, card or anything, I am not able to give you a discount. They kept ranting that they can do it any other targets, etc. I still said, no. Policy states that tm card needs to present for discount & an id to confirm it. She storms always & her bf pays for the item in cash. Without discount.

I did tell my Lod about it. They called that tm's store & reported them to hr about it.

There's nothing in the policy about asking for ID. I would show it, but I would be complaining to my HR the next time I worked. If the store thinks I'm not the TM, all they have to do is send the video footage over to my ap who can confirm it either way, and then my store leadership can take care of it from there. No reason for the cashier to play investigator.

I've turned down verbal requests many times for other stores TMs. Only once did I do it because I knew the person because he transferred there from my store.

When I started, cashiers at my store always just asked me for my numbers before I even had a chance to get the card out. I figured it was like that way everywhere and stopped carrying the card with me.

So when I went to another nearby store and did a big shopping trip (big for me), I was pretty surprised and pissed that I needed to have the actual card that I had probably thrown out months ago. The cashier and GSTL were really nice about it and explained the difference between shopping at my store after work and in my red and khakis, vs going to a store on my day off where they don't know me.

I just sucked it up and paid without it...call it a learning tax.

The policy when I was in HR was basically no card, no discount. If it was a temporary card, we could key in your numbers. Or, if we tried scanning your card, but it wouldn't scan we could also key the numbers. Other than that, it was a no go. It was against policy to just key in tm numbers for a discount. I never keyed in a tm's numbers who didn't fall into one of the two categories. It used to be a strict company policy. And you used to have to show ID with your discount card.

I've never heard of asking for ID too. I don't get a lot of TMs from other stores in my store though. To the OP, you should be able to go to your store and have them take the 10% off your receipt. Just make sure you do it today.

IIRC, there is a missed TM discount option on the registers. Just make sure you paid cash or with an approved card.

In earlier times, we keyed in TM#s for our own store but anyone outside we asked for the card.
Likewise if we were at another store, we had to show the card.
About 2 yrs ago AP told us to stop keying in TM#s, that they must present their card from now on so I simply got into the practice.
What also helps is our HR laminates our cards for us.

There's nothing in the policy about asking for ID. I would show it, but I would be complaining to my HR the next time I worked. If the store thinks I'm not the TM, all they have to do is send the video footage over to my ap who can confirm it either way, and then my store leadership can take care of it from there. No reason for the cashier to play investigator.

The card itself does state "...Also, please be prepared to show acceptable I.D."
It's really not an unreasonable request.

It actually is policy to have the card present for discounts. ID is recommended at other stores.

Hand keyed numbers flag to AP and video is reviewed. That's probably why some stores have put a end to hand keying so there isn't hundreds of transactions to review on a daily basis.

The card itself does state "...Also, please be prepared to show acceptable I.D."
It's really not an unreasonable request.

Ha. Did not realize that. I stand corrected. Honestly, I use CurrentC for all of my Target transactions, so it doesn't really matter it scans it all at once and most people at other stores don't even know what the heck it is, much less that I've just had them scan my discount number, cartwheel and redcard all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back