Archived It would be nice if Target invested in soda fountains like these for FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at my local Fuddruckers(a restaunt chain that specializes in burgers if you have never heard of it) today and I saw they had these cool new touchscreen soda fountains. One of the cool things about it is that it has dozens of options for flavors for every single soda for example if you hit the button for coke it will show up with options for cherry coke, coke with lime, etc. Another good thing about it is that it seems to dispense soda a lot more efficiently than the fountains most businesses have. Rather thand the soda fizzing up when being dispensed causing you to have to wait till the fizz goes down to add more soda to your cup so you don't over or under fill it.(which saves money on soda lost from overfilling)

Here is a video of them in action(It isn't my video just one I found online)
[video=youtube;tp1uF3rF4oI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp1uF3rF4oI[/video]

I love it... I have seen these before and the combinations are endless.... I just think this would be mi trouble than it's worth with all the guests....

It's called the Coca-Cola Freestyle, and restaurants like Firehouse Subs and Five Guys have them. The problem is they're extremely expensive. The cost of installation and the actual syrups (which there are over 100) is probably more expensive than Target is willing to pay.
Plus, most Pizza Huts (and lots of Targets have Pizza Hut) sell Pepsi products, not Coke, so it wouldn't make sense to install one in Target.

Oooooooh, I like!
But, yeh, between Target tight-fistedness & inept guests it would be a poor combination.

It's called the Coca-Cola Freestyle, and restaurants like Firehouse Subs and Five Guys have them. The problem is they're extremely expensive. The cost of installation and the actual syrups (which there are over 100) is probably more expensive than Target is willing to pay.
Plus, most Pizza Huts (and lots of Targets have Pizza Hut) sell Pepsi products, not Coke, so it wouldn't make sense to install one in Target.

The target I worked at (as well as many others I've been too) have both coke and pepsi

Target should really go back to the old food ave, but fat people and health nuts will sue like crazy

Very expensive, trust me. I use to work for a vending machine delivery company, and it still blows my mind how much that type of equipment runs. Crazy thing is the return you make once it's paid off, a $1.00 fountain likely only runs them about $0.20 in material costs(further vending example, a $0.75 bag of peanuts only costs $0.19 wholesale for them).

I have guests that have issues with our current soda fountains!
Plus having to change the syrup for that doesn't look fun.

They have those at pretty much every fast food joint here. I honestly think there a bad idea. I've sat down and watched people stand in line for long minutes waiting for people to try and figure the machine out. Not to mention that kids like to run up and play with it. I could see a ton of bad guest comment cards in our future :(

That would be great for a place where the employees actually dispensed the drinks, but they'd be real trouble for FA, even just for the fact that you can only do one drink at a time per machine. At least with the fountains we have now, if one guest wants Pepsi and another wants Diet Coke, they can get them at the same time.

The Noodles & Company in my area have those machines.
I'm not big on pop, but my friends have said that most of the flavors aren't that great. The flavors are too strong and don't always go well with the flavor of pop. (Peach or Orange Sprite...ehhh).

I love it... I have seen these before and the combinations are endless.... I just think this would be mi trouble than it's worth with all the guests....

I'm with you on that one. I'd love to have one of those at the gas station I work at now but seeing as my town is nothing but a bunch of meth addicts and crack heads, it's bound to break within a week.

I can somebody freaking out and putting their purse/fist through it and then blaming the Target logo. It's probably not going to happen.

T I honestly think there a bad idea. I've sat down and watched people stand in line for long minutes waiting for people to try and figure the machine out. :(

I knew people were stupid but not that stupid they're very simple to work. Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised when there are still people who find electronic voting machines confusing :dash2:(I've never understood what can be confusing about hitting a button next to the name/referendum)

Anyway I know it is a 0% chance of Target ever getting these(at least not before they're outdated in a decade or two) the problems I saw were

1) replacing flavors. At first I figured that companies buying the machines could probably just pick which flavors they want(which they probably can) and Spot could just opt for less(about equivalent to what we have now) but then I figured it would probably make the machine a waste for money if they did that.

2) kids playing with the machine

I just figured it would be interesting conversation and I wondered if anyone else had ever seen them. I usually don't each fast food since t makes me sick to my stomach(I haven't been to Mcdonalds for anything but a milkshake in the past 6 years or longer) the closest thing I usually have on a semi regular basis(once a month or every other month at the most) is Baja Fresh(which I really wouldn't consider fast food) so I wouldn't be surprised if they were at a bunch of fast food restaurants in my area and I just don't know about it.

Last edited:

It's actually not in the BIB's (beverage in box) like every other fountain machine. There are little cartridge deal-ies that you can swap out like ink in a printer.

It's actually not in the BIB's (beverage in box) like every other fountain machine. There are little cartridge deal-ies that you can swap out like ink in a printer.

Wondered how these worked.

Wondered how these worked.

Yeah the wiki article for this machine is actually pretty informative: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_Freestyle#Design

Target has agreements with both Coke and Pepsi to sell their fountain sodas. I agree these would be a bad idea. More equipment and maintenance issues.

Believe or not these Freestyle syrup refills are basically like printer cartridges.

Fuddruckers, Firehouse, BurgerFi, and other hi-end sandwich/burger joints have them here in NC.

The burger king I was just at needs to change its cartridges. Like 5 options were grayed out. I once saw one of these at a Wawa but don't remember where. That will make me extremely happy if all Wawas start getting them as I'm usually in one almost every day.

Yea, I've seen one of these at a Burger King. I didn't have to use it, though. Honestly, I'd hate it. If I just want a regular ass Dr. Pepper, I don't wanna have to stand in line behind the person choosing between all those different options and then mixing them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back