Archived I've got a complicated moving + family member dying thing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

egg

I've worked at Target for a little over 6 months. I like my job, but it's pretty stressful in that it's a high volume store, and I've been considering leaving for a little while now.

I've had two family members pass away suddenly since I started working here, and a third is in the hospital with stage 4 lung cancer. I've taken unpaid time off for sudden funerals twice now, and was already planning on going out of state to visit my aunt and her family sometime in late summer, but she had a big health decline the last couple days and it's looking pretty grim.

On top of that, I'm moving a few hours away at the end of July. The city I'm moving to has several lower-volume Targets. I'm feeling very conflicted about what to do. It feels silly to request like a week off to go to what will probably be a funeral, and then just a week and a half or so later try to transfer to a different store.

Is this a case where a leave of absence would be a good thing? Can I take a LOA and transfer to a different store at the same time? Or honestly, would it be better to give notice now and resign in time for me to go deal with all this? I'm already looking into other jobs as a possibility.

I know a lot of this is personal choice. I'm mainly trying to see how complicated it would be to take a LOA and transfer to a different store when I'm ready to work again.

Sorry things are so rough for you right now.

Speak with your leader and HR. Explain what is going on. Ask to transfer to one of the stores where you will be moving. If you can afford to not work, ask for a leave until you move. They need some lead time to get things settled for a transfer.

I'm sorry things are going so bad for you.
My condolences for your loss.

@Yetive has it right.
Go talk to HR.

Definitely talk to your HR and ETL now so that you don't look like a flaky TM. Worse comes to worse, put in your 2 weeks notice (actually work it) and then apply at the new Target after your move. As long as you're hired in their system within a certain time period (I believe 90 days) they can just re-instate you and you won't have to go through orientation and training again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back