Job Hunting

Is there anyone else out there job hunting? I figure we could use a support group to keep us motivated.

My BF and I basically made a pledge that we both have to get our crap together before we become more serious and my goal is to get a higher-paying job in the field I went to school for. Target is pretty brainless and while I do love the brainlessness of it, I hate the environment and pay. Definitely not my long-term career and I do want something more challenging. I went to school for psych and graduated last year. Would like to be a guidance counselor or something else in a high school but that requires going to grad school which I will start before I'm 25 (in two years).

So any tips, advice, stories, or anything about job hunting? I'm currently reading What Color is Your Parachute? and it's keeping me motivated on it. Any other good books? I am fortunate enough to live down the street from my college and am seeing a career counselor tomorrow. I also just emailed my guidance counselor from high school on advice. I'm iffy on interviews but reading up on them is making me less iffy.

Maybe we can motivate each other with this...

SBS! come over to the dark side of distribution Fac Ops! The pays a heck of a lot better than the stores, there's other benefits to.
In all honesty - it's not about my pay - it's about everything else

Same breed - different dog :wacko:

"tanks" - but "Nadda tanks" :cool:

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
I'm still looking but EC is tough, certainly for someone in my age range.

buliSBI

Former Team Member
I went for state government. I applied for a job in forensics on a whim, and got it to my surprise.

I was job hunting not too long ago. At first I was getting lots of interviews but nobody was calling me back after. Luckily all the practice helped and I started getting better responses, then I accepted an offer. Hang in there.

I'm still job hunting. I'm thinking about going back to school. I do have a Bachelor's Degree already, but it's one of those useless "liberal arts" degrees, so I need to figure out what degree will actually get me a job where I won't have to live paycheck to paycheck.

Last edited:
I've never had a lot of problems job hunting. When I retired from the military Target was the second place I interviewed with and they quickly (within a week) gave me an offer I took. When I left about a year later, I already had a job lined up to move into. I moved across the country and had a job, not just an offer, lined up within two weeks. After a couple of years they laid us off, but again within about two weeks of actual hunting I was starting a new job. While doing that job, I got the opportunity to move back into the Federal Government and took that job.

The jobs ARE out there even now; it just takes persistence, realistic expectations, and footwork. Being good at the intervew is also very handy.

I'm still job hunting. I'm thinking about going back to school. I do have a Bachelor's Degree already, but it's one of those useless "liberal arts" degrees, so I need to figure out what degree will actually get me a job where I won't have to live paycheck to paycheck.
Are you thinking about getting another Bachelor's degree or getting a Masters? I know that at my school (a fairly large state school) you can get a second Bachelor's in another field with only an extra 30 credits (1 year) provided you can fill all of the requirements.

pzychopopgroove

cyberpunk//my little pony
I've never had a lot of problems job hunting. When I retired from the military Target was the second place I interviewed with and they quickly (within a week) gave me an offer I took. When I left about a year later, I already had a job lined up to move into. I moved across the country and had a job, not just an offer, lined up within two weeks. After a couple of years they laid us off, but again within about two weeks of actual hunting I was starting a new job. While doing that job, I got the opportunity to move back into the Federal Government and took that job.

The jobs ARE out there even now; it just takes persistence, realistic expectations, and footwork. Being good at the intervew is also very handy.
I've never been good at interviews but after every one I have aced I've gotten the job. Hell after the interviews at Spot, it was 2-3 days later and i had orientation.

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
Husband has a degree, experience, etc but - despite increased demand in his field - he & others aren't being considered for jobs. It's age discrimination but it's so subtle that it's hard to prove.

I've never been good at interviews but after every one I have aced I've gotten the job. Hell after the interviews at Spot, it was 2-3 days later and i had orientation.
After my last interview I had an offer before the end of the day. Had they waited I would not have been able to give two weeks notice to my current employer, which was to me a must. I don't believe in burning bridges.

I've been looking on and off. Since I have a degree, I'd like my team member job to be temporary.

You probably already know this, but most jobs in psychology require at least a masters degree, especially the jobs in counseling/therapy. One of my psychology professors even told our class that if you are only planning to earn your BS degree, you shouldn't even bother.

I hope you can eventually find something though. One place to check into is psychiatric hospitals. They hire graduates with only a bachelors degree. I had an internship at an adolescent psych hospital and it was a great experience.

Last edited:

mrknownothing

purveyor of things
I've been looking on and off. Since I have a degree, I'd like my team member job to be temporary.

You probably already know this, but most jobs in psychology require at least a masters degree, especially the jobs in counseling/therapy. One of my psychology professors even told our class that if you are only planning to earn your BS degree, you shouldn't even bother.

I hope you can eventually find something though. One place to check into is psychiatric hospitals. They hire graduates with only a bachelors degree. I had an internship at an adolescent psych hospital and it was a great experience.
A psychology BS is good enough to be an ETL if you change your mind.

Are you thinking about getting another Bachelor's degree or getting a Masters? I know that at my school (a fairly large state school) you can get a second Bachelor's in another field with only an extra 30 credits (1 year) provided you can fill all of the requirements.
I'm thinking another Bachelor's in a different field. I have some research to do to figure what would be best. I don't live near the school I went to anymore, or any other 4-year schools, so it'd be a bit of a commute if I do decide to do it.