Juneteenth Break Room

GoForMe

Senior Team Member Expert
Are any stores doing anything food wise in the break room for team members for the Juneteenth holiday? Our store is again doing a big fat nothing and I would also not be surprised if they don’t do anything for 4th of July ( HR didn’t do anything last year for the fourth also).

I was at Walmart over the weekend and there was a black couple walking in front of me and they asked a black guy who was working there if they had any Juneteenth merchandise. The employee had never even heard of Juneteenth and the couple had to explain it to him.

I don't think it's known by most people as it was just made a national holiday a few years ago. The only reason I even know is because of Target.

And now they're trying to quash any mention of Black History.
That’s unfortunate. We have lots of signs and posters in our break room about the history of Juneteenth, including a photo and description of Biden signing it becoming a federal holiday.

I was at Walmart over the weekend and there was a black couple walking in front of me and they asked a black guy who was working there if they had any Juneteenth merchandise. The employee had never even heard of Juneteenth and the couple had to explain it to him.

I don't think it's known by most people as it was just made a national holiday a few years ago. The only reason I even know is because of Target.
Why am I not surprised?

Nothing for Father's Day although Mother's Day had sample-size Beauty items available for a make-your-own mini gift bag.
Snacks from a Black-owned area business for Juneteenth.
As to people not knowing what Juneteenth is, it's a pretty new holiday so I would imagine quite a few people don't know what it's about. People still confuse who's honored by Memorial Day and Veterans Day and both of those have been around for ages.

Back