Archived Jury Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
so im a little confused. I had Jury Duty today, from the looks of it I will be put on a case which they said should be about 2 weeks. I asked the court clerk about pay, she said Target should be paying me. Told her they don’t. She then gave me a link to their handbook & it says if the company has more then 10 people your job should pay the court payment$40 or they could pay u for the hrs u miss. I also kno Target use to pay u your hrs years ago.. Any idea y they changed & what should i do. I want to make sure i get paid from someone...

It took a fairly ridiculous amount of time to find it, but it looks like Target does not offer you pay for jury duty, for non-exempt TMs:

Time off when you're called for civic duty.
Your job is safe while you serve.
If you’ve been selected for jury duty or must serve as a witness in a trial, Target offers eligible team members time away from work to serve.
If you are called to serve on a jury or as a witness, please provide your HR representative with the summons issued by the governmental unit involved. We do not provide written documentation to excuse team members from jury duty. Following jury duty, Target will reinstate you to your former position regardless of length of time spent on jury duty.

Reporting back to work.
When jury is not in session, or if you’ve been excused from jury duty, you must report to work during your scheduled hours if you can work at least 4 hours of your scheduled work period, except as provided by law.

Who's eligible ?

If you’re an hourly HQ team member, store team lead, or DC regular team member with average hours of 20 or more hours per week, you are eligible for paid jury or witness duty on the first day of the pay period following your date of hire.

If you’re an hourly store team member, you are not eligible for pay but Target will protect your average hours for time missed due to serving jury or witness duty.

HR will manage your time and pay. Your jury duty pay may be delayed depending on when it was requested during the pay cycle. In step with state statutes. Target must meet the minimum guidelines as outlined in state statutes. The Target policy goes into effect after state guidelines are met. If you live and work in different states, the law for the state where you work applies for calculating jury or witness pay.

Questions?
Contact your Human Resources
representative

I don't know about the "your job will pay the court payment" bit--the court pays the court payment, but you will get that from the court. Plus mileage reimbursement, possibly (depending on your jurisdiction).

Some jobs will pay you for jury duty and you keep the court pay (my day job does this). Others will pay you while you're out on jury duty, but you have to turn the meager court pay over to them, but that's super ticky-tacky. Target won't pay you for jury time, but they shouldn't touch the court pay.

ETA: If you have the flexibility, talk to your HR about adding night or weekend hours to make up the pay during jury duty time (if you're normally on days). Unless the trial is sequestered, which is pretty rare, you should be able to go home and such at night, and depending on the court/trial, it may not run all day, every day.

State laws supersede Target pay rules. It's a State law here. So it does not matter what your status is at Target. Company has to pay if you serve for your 1st 3 days after that Courts pay. Check you state law and challenge them.

Have you talked to HR yet? If not, I'd start there. If there are state laws at play HR will know and will be able to tell you the policy when you present your summons. The court clerk will not know any or all company policies around jury duty.

If HR says "sorry, no luck" then check state laws and go upstream if you have to, but your store's HR folks should know.

MN law doesn't require that companies pay people for jury duty, so the general policy I pasted above may not apply to your state.

Coincidentally I just got summoned to appear for duty next month...irritating. I already talked to HR about it and I'll have to burn up some of my paid vacation days as the court will only pay me a measly $20 per day and Target won't pay me at all. That and the courthouse is ten light years away and lots of dense traffic to sit through on the way there and back. As soon as this is over I need to look into taking myself off the voter roll ASAP, I don't vote and I don't live in an electorally relevant state anyway

Coincidentally I just got summoned to appear for duty next month...irritating. I already talked to HR about it and I'll have to burn up some of my paid vacation days as the court will only pay me a measly $20 per day and Target won't pay me at all. That and the courthouse is ten light years away and lots of dense traffic to sit through on the way there and back. As soon as this is over I need to look into taking myself off the voter roll ASAP, I don't vote and I don't live in an electorally relevant state anyway
I'm not registered to vote but I've still been summoned for jury duty...

Yeah, I know several people who never registered and have been summoned. Meanwhile I'm the crazy one who wants to serve but hasn't been called in almost 20 years, and even then only ever sat in the waiting room. I suspect it's because at the time I worked in legal....

Normally anyone who works in a legal or legal-adjacent field gets challenged by one side or the other as a matter of course, but that may be changing.

Based on a variety of anecdotal accounts from various online fora over time, it seems like there are two types of people in this country: people who get called for jury duty and those who don't. Some people just get called over and over again and others never even get a "be ready, citizen" notice.

Normally anyone who works in a legal or legal-adjacent field gets challenged by one side or the other as a matter of course, but that may be changing.

Based on a variety of anecdotal accounts from various online fora over time, it seems like there are two types of people in this country: people who get called for jury duty and those who don't. Some people just get called over and over again and others never even get a "be ready, citizen" notice.

Yeah, but challenges don't happen until voir dire. I have never gotten that far. And I *want* to!!!

They also use car registration for jury duty.
Here in Alaska they use the PFD.

I go if I get paid or not.
It's the only way our criminal justice system can work properly is for half way intelligent people to show up and serve.
I also believe that it is part of our duty as American citizens.
We pay taxes, vote, don't listen to Russian boots, and do jury duty.
Really not that much to ask.

But did you know in many states or it could be all jurors are ALSO taken of DMV lists. So if you have a DL or State ID you can be selected

Haha, you said dooty.

They don’t pay for the first/second day during jury selection but if you’re chosen for a case you’ll be paid for the time you’re at the hearing.

Do yourself a favor and figure out a way to get out. Court is awful.

Damn it. Time to sell my car, cut up my license and go completely off the grid

I kid, and not to derail with my opinions here but court is probably the most unbearable place on the planet for me. I've had to pop into the courthouse before and each time I left in a sour mood...especially after seeing all those highly paid attorneys who make big bucks off defending the guilty, sauntering around in their $10,000 suits. In my humble opinion lawyers are a parasite class who are every bit as disgusting as the murders, rapists, perverts, burglars, and embezzlers they defend. That and the gaggle of stinking, barely literate creatures you have to wade through after getting there pretty much speaks for itself. Gross. Miss me with that bullshit thanks!

I'm probably going to get dismissed in a hurry after the judge asks if I can stay unbiased. What's this under my shirt, oh just a coil of rope, why do you ask? :D

In my humble opinion lawyers are a parasite class who are every bit as disgusting as the murders, rapists, perverts, burglars, and embezzlers they defend.

Meh. Not everyone in court is guilty or a bad person.

Not long ago it was a crime to have gay sex

They also defend the innocent.

99% are usually guilty if they ended up at a jury trial in the first place. It’s up to a defense attorney to doop 12 rocks in a box with little to no legal knowledge that a technicality or loophole should set someone free. You know, facts matter.

Jury trials are more often money rolled by the defense to find a way out, or it’s somebody facing a monsterous amount of time expecting it to get cut shorter by taking a plea agreement in extange for not wasting more taxpayer money.

And then there are the civil jury trials where someone’s trying to protect their ass because they know they’re right, or the prosecution thinks they’re owed more money. Either way civil trials are the woooorst

99% are usually guilty if they ended up at a jury trial in the first place.

As someone with a brother falsely accused of robbery. Please don't come up with b.s. numbers.

A case can reach jury trial for something as simple as media coverage or the prosecution trying to be tough on crime.

Jury trials are more often money rolled by the defense to find a way out,

Or it's a constitutional right...

Plea deals are a way of scaring people into guilty for fear of a longer punishment

Last edited:
As someone with a brother falsely accused of robbery. Please don't come up with b.s. numbers.

A case can reach jury trial for something as simple as media coverage or the prosecution trying to be tough on crime.

Or it's a constitutional right...

Plea deals are a way of scaring people into guilty for fear of a more serious crime

Quoted for truth.

I forgot to check-in last time I was summoned... I probably have a bounty out on my head. They played The Martian and The Blind Side in the holding area last time I went, they should give out coloring books and crayons, blankets, and juice boxes too.

If you don't want to serve tell the judge you believe in jury nullification
Still legal but judges and many lawyers HATE it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back