Archived Just got hired as a GSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

myDevice

GSA
Hey all. I just got hired as a GSA at my local target. I have to go into orientation next week, but from what I understand this is a management role? I really don't want people to despise me because I got hired to be their boss when I have never worked at target before (I have worked at another retailer so I have experience).

It is not a supertarget so I was told that I would have to do cash office duties as well as run the service desk.

Any tips or pointers on how to earn the teams trust and respect? I don't intend to come in acting like I own the place but I also don't want to piss someone off. How would you like your supervisor to treat you?

Thank you :)

Hey all. I just got hired as a GSA at my local target. I have to go into orientation next week, but from what I understand this is a management role? I really don't want people to despise me because I got hired to be their boss when I have never worked at target before (I have worked at another retailer so I have experience).

It is not a supertarget so I was told that I would have to do cash office duties as well as run the service desk.

Any tips or pointers on how to earn the teams trust and respect? I don't intend to come in acting like I own the place but I also don't want to piss someone off. How would you like your supervisor to treat you?

Thank you :)

Learn your job and ask a hundred thousand questions. Your focus is on Guest Service and your cashiers. When a cashier has a problem, they are gonna call you over. You have to be able to make your own decisions on your own leaving the LOD as a last resource if your GSTL is not there.

We are responsible for supervising the lanes and cashiers when a GSTL isn’t there, but we are team members just like the cashiers, so not exactly what you would call management. We don’t deal with any type of coaching or disciplinary action on other TM’s. You will more than likely encounter cashiers that are bitter that they didn’t get the job, so be aware of that and give the team the impression that you are there to work with them and not over them. Duties of the job are pretty straightforward which you will learn as you go. At my store, GSA’s are typically the ones who are always in the CO, so be sure to make notes if you need to while you’re training in there, and know where to find resources should you need them in the future. Good luck!

I couldn't imagine any cashier that wanted to be GSA at least given a shot to be GSA. It isn't management by a long shot but it is a pathway to management for some- who can take it which most can't. It's way more stressful for not much more money. The first couple of weeks when you know less than those you are supervising it might be a little tricky but within 3 weeks you should be up to speed on everything.

There were at least 2 cashiers that applied for GSA before I was hired. Both of them could have done it I’m sure but one had attendance issues and the other is constantly having behavioral issues.

Given that you've never worked for Target before and are moving straight into a GSA role, expect there to be some pushback. Even if no one wants it, it's a bit of a slap in the face to have an outsider just waltz in and be in a somewhat supervisory role without even knowing the TMs, the processes, the culture, etc.

This happened in my store and it has not gone very well..

Last edited:
Given that you've never worked for Target before and are moving straight into a GSA role, expect there to be some pushback. Even if no one wants it, it's a bit of a slap in the face to have an outsider just waltz in and be in a somewhat supervisory role without even knowing the TMs, the culture, etc.

this kinda just happened at my store and morale is WAY down on the front end, especially because they passed over someone way more qualified.. I have some theories on how that happened but I don't want to say too much on this forum

We had a couple of external GSA hires who came with a lot of guest service Leadership experience. They were quick learners and had no issues with push back. Hopefully this will be the case for you as well.

We had a couple of external GSA hires who came with a lot of guest service Leadership experience. They were quick learners and had no issues with push back. Hopefully this will be the case for you as well.

Yup, we have had some duds but some of our external GSA hires have been incredible.

Just because you are a good cashier or get a lot of red cards doesn't mean you should be a GSA.

I think a good cashier who already covers breaks and fulfills the duty of a gsa should be selected though

Yup, we have had some duds but some of our external GSA hires have been incredible.

Just because you are a good cashier or get a lot of red cards doesn't mean you should be a GSA.

I think a good cashier who already covers breaks and fulfills the duty of a gsa should be selected though

Exactly! It takes a lot more to be a GSA to be a cashier or get lots of red cards.

You're an external GSA hire? That's brutal. Good luck.
tenor.gif

When I was promoted I was #1 in the district in getting red cards and never worked a guest service shift in my life. I didn’t even know guest service when I was promoted really. I think my promotion had a lot to do with my reds and my former GSTL who was my mentor and fought for me cause he saw it in my when others didn’t.

Now don’t get me wrong I was a quick learner. I picked up the guest service lingo rather quickly as it was crucial for me to do so.

I’m named the most hard working/efficient leader even by the seasonals who had no reason to bullshit me. They told me if it wasn’t for me there wouldn’t be a GSTL to keep us in place since the other ones don’t perform at the level I do.. I perform at a very high level.

The funniest part is I promoted at the same time as my “competition” who others thought was a better fit over me.. this competition come seven months in, stepped down, and is now a guest service team member/cashier at another store where their ETL is trying to convince me to transfer over to and is offering a promotion.

Over a year later I am here talking to my STL about my future as an executive.

Last edited:
Confidence will be key for you, both with dealing with guests and TMs.

I’m still new too, but it’s easy to see which GSAs are more respected and successful than others, and it doesn’t seem to have much to do with the length of time in their role, their age, or previous experience. My two favorite GSAs are pretty young guys who were both former CAs. It’s obvious how/why they were asked to move over. Even the old cranky cashiers like and listen to them.
Big part of the confidence thing is that they’re willing to admit and ask when they don’t know HOW to do something, but never act like they don’t know WHAT to do, if that makes sense.

Then contrast that with some of the other GSAs who might know HOW to do everything, but meanwhile you can literally feel their sheer panic building up when faced with a new/difficult situation. Be able to handle a situation and act calm and in control, even if internally you feel the opposite.

Basically big picture vs caught in the weeds stuff. Yeah you need to watch for breaks and other tedious stuff, but don’t be the GSA wasting your time meticulously planning out detailed break time/lane assignments that won’t be followed anyway. Be the one who steps in and learns with your team as you guide them to make sure they don’t fuck up.

Also as a new GSA, you’ll probably be scheduled to work with other GSAs at first. Jump on a register or cover SCO or SD as much as you can during those times. It will likely be your best chance to learn that hands-on.

Even though GSA isnt technically a management/leadership position, guests will see you as basically a manager, so act like it and own it. Front-end TMs might be a little resentful, but it’s in their best interest to get along with you, so give them the chance.
Just make sure to dress somewhat professionally and act confidently, while not being afraid to ask questions!

Given that you are coming from the outside into a semi leadership position I give you props. I had to train a GSA who came from another company who turned out to be a disaster (she was let go) because she wouldn't take the time to learn anything. Her demeanor also wasn't the greatest so that had a hand in it as well. So my best advice is to take everything in. It's hard enough to learn the basic core roles of a GSA and also have to try and learn everything else (I'm talking Target processes, terminology, etc).

If you are training at another store, make sure you are familiar with your stores individual process first. All stores have different individual "ways" when it comes to opening and closing procedures, cash office, etc. Kind of "their way" of doing it so to speak. I think the reason my trainee got so frustrated with the training was we were showing her our store way of doing the tasks but she had nothing to compare it to so when she got to her store she had to re-learn everything practically.

Also, as other posters said, don't ever be afraid to ask questions. And when it comes to closing registers, get into a routine and stick to it. If you make an error (i.e. Leaving Checks and money unsecured) it can cost you your job so make sure you find a routine that works for you and try not to divest from it. You will find that the more you do it you can come home and sleep soundly knowing you did everything.

Best of luck!

Target essentially has 3 levels of employees in the stores: Team Members (hourly associates), Team Leaders (hourly supervisors), and Executive Team Leaders (salaried managers). There are multiple grades of pay and positions within those levels, but for simplicity, everyone falls into 1 of those 3 categories.

As a GSA, your role is technically that of a team member (just like cashiers, cart attendants, etc). You will report to a team leader (in your case, a GSTL), as will your cashiers. That GSTL will then report to an executive team leader (the ETL-GE), who then reports to the store team leader (the STL).

As others have said, while the GSA role is not a manager role, it is a sort of "shift supervisor" role. Depending on your store volume, you may be running shifts all on your own, or you may be scheduled to support the GSTL. In any case, you will be performing many of the same duties as GSTLs, with the exception of administrative tasks like writing reviews, conducting interviews, ordering supplies, scheduling, etc. When guests come to the service desk with a complaint and ask to speak to a "manager," many times you'll be the first person called. Depending on the situation and your ability to resolve the situation (which will get better over time), you may have to hand off the complaint to your GSTL or the LOD (Leader on Duty -- the TL or ETL running the store at the time).

Read the posts in other threads, ask questions, and make the most of your training. It is a tough role to step into when you are brand new to Target, but that doesn't mean you can't be successful.

I thought gsa’s and gstls towed the company line (policy). Alot of what gstls have to deal with is spelled out in black and white. Know the rules/policies and you are golden. A bit of charm combined with the understanding of policies and adherence to said policies will make you shine and an asset.

I thought gsa’s and gstls towed the company line (policy). Alot of what gstls have to deal with is spelled out in black and white. Know the rules/policies and you are golden. A bit of charm combined with the understanding of policies and adherence to said policies will make you shine and an asset.

Making it right for the guest will supersede policy 99% of the time. I've seen GSAs and GSTLs bend over backwards to keep a guest from calling Guest Relations or giving a negative survey. One of our newer GSAs enforced policy, but then that guest came up to Guest Services and asked to speak to HER manager. They will keep digging until they find someone who will give them what they want. It sure ain't easy being a GSA/GSTL.

Internal promotion here, but I think there's some universal advice regardless. Be attentive to morale issues like prompt breaks and lunches. It's such a simple thing, a basic kindness that doesn't undermine your authority, but if it's missed, the cashiers will notice. Other simple stuff: Keep lanes stocked with bags, gift cards, and other supplies, and order more before you run out. Help them with hangers and go-backs when it's busy. Get to know the cashier's names (without having to look at their nametags), their talents, and interests. Show that you're in charge, and know your basics, but also that you have their back if they strive to do the right things. Supervise their work, but allow them the freedom to follow their training and work independently and exercise initiative. Discretely eavesdrop on guest interaction, but don't hover. Hold feedback until after the guest leaves. Remember that this is more of a mentoring/enabling position than a bossy one. Set an example. Don't ask you team to do anything you wouldn't or couldn't do, but remember that you are the backup of last resort. You need to stay untethered to a lane to float and be able to quickly respond to alcohol sales, change requests, guest assistance, etc. Having them see you hustle doing this will help earn their respect. You are in a responsible position to influence and encourage the quality of others' work, without being able to just do it yourself. For your GSA peers and GSTL/ETL superiors, ask lots of questions, seek their feedback, be humble and open to learning.

Given that you've never worked for Target before and are moving straight into a GSA role, expect there to be some pushback. Even if no one wants it, it's a bit of a slap in the face to have an outsider just waltz in and be in a somewhat supervisory role without even knowing the TMs, the processes, the culture, etc.

This happened in my store and it has not gone very well..

• Change your perspective on what it means to be a manager (leader) in general
    • You are less important than your team, your leaders are less important than you (don't talk down), and their leaders are less important than them (etc.)
    • When working, ask yourself, "Can my team function if I would simply vanish?" The answer is yes, but maybe not as well as having a trained GSA.
    • What about if your cashiers and guest service team members (GSTMs) were to vanish? No, things would be in absolute chaos because the sales floor would be on lane and the store would suffer substantially more.
    • Your job is making it possible for your team to do their jobs and succeed. Communicate this to your team, tell them they are more important and say why, this inspires respect and limits pushback
  • Be observant when you first start
  • Stress is part of the job, get used to it, or get lost. I can't have a GSA that gets flustered when it gets busy. If you can't handle the stress, tell your LOD and they might move you elsewhere.
    • Know when you need help, either with backup or helping cashiers, this is a hard thing to master, but a great life skill in general
  • I was lucky enough to have a great guest service team when I started as GSA, listen to them and make sure they know you have their back, they will know more than you about how things work, especially at the start
  • Trust your GSTMs judgement unless it's blatantly wrong, your team is your biggest advocate
  • Listen to your damn GSTLs, you are their responsibility to train well and ask questions if you have them
  • Partner with your GSTLs, it's important to know their expectations
  • Communicate dammit, if you closed alone, I want to hear about your night. Spend more time on your emails, but don't write a damn novel.
    • Did you observe behavior from any of your team members that needs addressed (learning opportunities, coaching opportunities, not asking every guest about REDcards)?
    • Did one of your team members just kick ass and does something awesome?
    • Did something shady happen that I should be looking out for?
    • If you constantly write terrible emails that give me little to no information, expect to be coached
      • I know you might forget something important, it happens, but if it's important that I know something, write yourself a reminder (or on your hands I don't care)
      • I have two GSAs right now that send closing emails saying how many REDcards we closed with and maybe a pointless paragraph that does very little. I'm going to sit down with them and reiterate my expectations.
  • Learn how to delegate tasks, if you're doing something and your team isn't because it's dead, teach them how to do it and move to something else. I struggle with this.
  • Adding on to that point, recognize your weaknesses. If you're disorganized, admit it and ask your team members nicely to remind you to be tidier or even ask for help cleaning up.
  • Know the appropriate times to do things. I didn't at the start. The middle of a Saturday afternoon is not the time to start a project. I couldn't get the ideology of, "Oh, I'm sure I can get it done, even though it's busy" out of your head.
  • Lastly, read How to Win Friends and Influence People, it's a great book and there are tons of helpful lessons to be learned. Honestly, I recommend everyone read that book.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back