Archived Just got retained permanently, how to push for team lead?

What’s the most valuable trait of a future target team leader?

• Knowing everything about every department

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Knowing how to train others

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Knowing who to be friends with on the team and who not to

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • It’s simply the luck of the draw

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 16 38.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I was a seasonal hire In north Florida but hired in August since the store was undergoing remodel and I worked HARD and just got told Monday they’re keeping me permanently.

What are my next steps so next Christmas I could potentially be looking at being considered for team lead?

Be versatile
Be really good at your position, but good at others.
Engage your ETL and your TL about becoming a TL in the future.
Keep your attendance good.
If they ask you to stay longer, or come in on your day off, do it.

Most importantly, be cool with the leaders in your building.

Show up for your shifts and do what's needed from your position for the store to be successful. That could be getting regards at the front end, giving great guest service on the salesfloor or getting tasks done efficiently on the logistics side. Find you niche and prove your worth.

The other big thing to move your way up is to show that you aren't only capable of doing your job, but good at motivating others to do their best as well. 90% of a leaders job isn't what they personally did, but what they can get their teams to accomplish. Along these lines, give credit to others when they deserve it and take the blame when things don't go as planned and you could have made the situation better. Accountability is huge in all aspects of leadership and especially in a retail atmosphere.

Be versatile
Be really good at your position, but good at others.
Engage your ETL and your TL about becoming a TL in the future.
Keep your attendance good.
If they ask you to stay longer, or come in on your day off, do it.

Most importantly, be cool with the leaders in your building.
Show up for your shifts and do what's needed from your position for the store to be successful. That could be getting regards at the front end, giving great guest service on the salesfloor or getting tasks done efficiently on the logistics side. Find you niche and prove your worth.

The other big thing to move your way up is to show that you aren't only capable of doing your job, but good at motivating others to do their best as well. 90% of a leaders job isn't what they personally did, but what they can get their teams to accomplish. Along these lines, give credit to others when they deserve it and take the blame when things don't go as planned and you could have made the situation better. Accountability is huge in all aspects of leadership and especially in a retail atmosphere.
From what I have also seen with my years with Spot as well also your appearance as well. From what I have seen with both Males and Females is that if you look like you have just rolled out of your bed and clocked in, they aren't looking in your direction 2x.

From what I have also seen with my years with Spot as well also your appearance as well. From what I have seen with both Males and Females is that if you look like you have just rolled out of your bed and clocked in, they aren't looking in your direction 2x.

Hahahahaha not a problem... I dress better than everyone else there. I’m mostly a softlines worker so of course I layer and accessorize and wear cute shoes

As a seasonal that was offered permanent position and then became a TL all within a year. I can honestly say there were three factors that really played a big role in my climb up the ladder.
A) HARDWORK:- Show care about your job. work hard and smart. Analyze your work, to help you learn and improve what you do. Go beyond the call of duty. Be willing to do , learn and teach EVERYTHING. Take charge whenever you see a “hole”. Always show and take initiative, even when leaders aren’t arround. Ask for more when you have successfully completed a task. Show up to every single scheduled shift. Say yes as often as you can if you are offered extra shifts.

B) LEADERSHIP :- Make sure you are on good terms with your immediate leader. Be his/her right hand. Make sure you communicate your desire to learn from them ,EVERYTHING. Let them know you want to stay at target, and move up. Know your ETLs be on good terms with them also. If you have a TL thats half decent he/she will see your demonstrated abilities, and expressed desires. They will guide, advertise and “promote” you.

C) TIMING :- This is a crucial one. If HARDWORK and LEADERSHIP are in place. Its only a matter of time. What leadership positions are open, and how many potential candidates are out there. Your HARDWORK will speak to your LEADERSHIP who will make sure your name is in the hat when TIMING is right.

Lastly, be serious. Be serious about what you want to accomplish. Do not be a clown. Have a sense of humor, joke, but do not be a clown. Dress well and speak well. Its alot of work , but very rewarding as well.
Good luck

Last edited:

LMAO I guess, I look like shit so Idk, they signed me off the the TL bench and then the PMT interviews

Everything everyone has said is good advice. Just remember to communicate to leadership, be confident in your choices, don’t be a know-it-all, and know it’s ok to ask for help.

Also, don’t get bent out of shape if you have stellar performance and someone else gets TL before you. Show up to work and do your job to the best of your ability and it will work out.

LMAO I guess, I look like shit so Idk, they signed me off the the TL bench and then the PMT interviews

In all fairness the expectations of the appearance of a pmt and a softlines tl is night and day.

We have a tl who is stuck there because she wears ripped t shirts and baggy khakis. She's a good worker but her presentation sucks.

Dressing the part is huge. Ever wonder why half your ETLs are 20 something blondes with no life experience

Last edited:
I don't know how y'all can wear cute shoes. Is it because you have carpeting in SL?

I wouldn't put being friends with the team on your list. Last thing you need is to be accused of favoritism. Having a good rapport or working relationship between them is best.

In all fairness the expectations of the appearance of a pmt and a softlines tl is night and day.

We have a tl who is stuck there because she wears ripped t shirts and baggy khakis. She's a good worker but her presentation sucks.

Dressing the part is hufe. Ever wonder why half your ETLs are 20 something blondes with no life experience

Ummm college degrees?

Dressing the part is huge. Ever wonder why half your ETLs are 20 something blondes with no life experience

I was signed off as a TL way before PMT was even an option

Well, I’m a 30 blonde with some life experience, a degree AND cute shoes.

Lol my point is I have the looks and I can work fast and be multitalented so I jut have to know what to do to get their approval to move up sometime next year

Lol my point is I have the looks and I can work fast and be multitalented so I jut have to know what to do to get their approval to move up sometime next year

I think this thread got derailed about looks. Your ability to lead and not just be a good team member will play a huge role. Most stores know good team member doesn't mean good team leader

Well, last night I worked till 1am. Then returned at 10 this morning. So far there’s so many things pulling me in every direction I wish I was invisible. So am I doing it right or wrong?

Get through New Years. You should be having check ins with both your TL, and ETL at around the 90 day mark. Tell them that you want to move up. If they aren't completely useless, they will put you on the right track.

Get through New Years. You should be having check ins with both your TL, and ETL at around the 90 day mark. Tell them that you want to move up. If they aren't completely useless, they will put you on the right track.
My 90 day mark was November. When’s the next one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back