Archived Just got retained permanently, how to push for team lead?

What’s the most valuable trait of a future target team leader?

• Knowing everything about every department

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Knowing how to train others

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Knowing who to be friends with on the team and who not to

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • It’s simply the luck of the draw

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 16 38.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Attendance must be stellar, you must show that you're someone TLs and ETLs rely on. Display a willingness to learn different processes. Also familiarize yourself with your team. Know the team members strengths and weaknesses. Finally make sure you are sharing your ideas on how to improve your department.

Finally, hope that politics is in your favor. Fact is some get in because of politics and others get in for their work ethic. Just hope you move up while maintaining your integrity.

Well my work ethic is fine I think ... as for politics... well I won the friendship of one of the top gossips in softlines and while I’m sure she talks about me now and then, she also
Tells me everything I need to know about everyone. If I don’t need to know, I shut her down. Basically, she’s like the goth girl who
Befriended Kady In meangirls, And knew how to handle Regina and the plastics. Lol.

Well my work ethic is fine I think ... as for politics... well I won the friendship of one of the top gossips in softlines and while I’m sure she talks about me now and then, she also
Tells me everything I need to know about everyone. If I don’t need to know, I shut her down. Basically, she’s like the goth girl who
Befriended Kady In meangirls, And knew how to handle Regina and the plastics. Lol.
Not familiar with the reference, but I will say this. You also don't want to get caught in "the gossip game". What I mean is, just because the neighborhood gossip is "cool" with you, doesn't equate to much. Know your job well. Know your peers strengths and weaknesses as well. Know how to improve your department. Those are the keys to along with working well with your leadership team will get you promoted. Doesn't hurt to have a little luck too. ;)

Wtf, this is the kind of person you are? Who seeks gossip and the approval of gossipers? Maybe you should just stay in the pits and reshop seasonal, forever. As a leader ,you need to be above the fray, above the gossip and drama, seems like you are in thick of it all.
Referencing stupid movies to justify moronic behavior . Wtf. No thank you. Dont become a leader, i resend all of my advice and bar you from using any of it. Under pains and penalties of the law.!

Last edited:
No I really do want to find out how to get promoted. Why are you guys being mean?

No I really do want to find out how to get promoted. Why are you guys being mean?

I don't think it's mean so much as snarky, which tends to be the default mode on this board.
People are happy to help in any way they can and there are a number of people here who have moved up here, even to ETL.

The main thing is you need to Git Gud at what you are doing now, then worry about moving.

As @Planosss said, you have to be above the fray. My old TL gossiped all the time and I had a hard time respecting him/her because of it. Leaders are supposed to lead by example. Gossiping and stirring the pot is not a good example, IMO.

A good TL needs to be able to bridge the gap between young TMs and older TMs. A good TL needs a great work ethic. A good TL needs to do the nitty gritty of the job too, not just oversee.

And as @commiecorvus said, make Spot happy they offered you permanent employment first. Work hard and then go for it, if you still want to.

And like I said... i wasn’t gossiping, I just hear the gossip and so I know what I know because of it

I don't think it's mean so much as snarky, which tends to be the default mode on this board.
People are happy to help in any way they can and there are a number of people here who have moved up here, even to ETL.

The main thing is you need to Git Gud at what you are doing now, then worry about moving.

Im not mean or snarky though, but if someone is gonna reference a Mean Girls situation in their post and be proud of it.... I gotta say something

i didn't flush out my previous response. my journey from seasonal i took all advice possible. talk to current tl's. have them recommend you (freaking useless).

know how to do everything. i asked a lot of questions, and generally if you want to learn so you do more most etl's/ tl's are happy to teach. target figures if they sign you off as a tl/etl you can pick it up. target rotates etl's, so as little as 18 months you can be etl ge and then etl ap. they figure you're an etl, you can figure out any work center. they don't care if you know how they can teach you it.

my stl did not want me as a tl. finally after multiple etl's told him he gave me a shot.

Ok so no movie references. Got it. You know what? Meangirls was brought up by the manager himself. When I was newish back in september, I was having a hard time because my personality was a little quirky and I asked him for help and he said literally “softlines is like meangirls. They gossip. Don’t engage in the gossip” so I don’t, I just have a couple of them come to me and say “so and so got in trouble today”. And either I noted it so I knew what not to do, or I straight up said “hey, unless this is about me, I don’t care”

If someone talks trash, respond with "Oh, that's too bad." You're not letting them know you agree or they shouldn't be trash-talking.
If someone is humble-bragging or gloating, respond with "Isn't that nice." with a plastic smile.
Keep it on the surface.

A Plastic smile huh.... I just think it’s funny a 50 something year old man told me that softlines.... his softlines in his store.... was “meangirls”

Nah I’m lacking some things a model needs.
Also I love my target job the store is a part of my community I rather have that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back