Archived Just hired!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I applied online to my local Target stores about three weeks ago. On Wednesday, I got a call back and was asked to come in yesterday for an interview. I went through two interviews, and after the second one was offered a job as a General Merchandise Expert. I was pleasantly surprised to be offered a job so quickly. I assumed that I would have to wait a few days after my interviews. But I was offered a position on the spot so of course I took it! My orientation is next Tuesday at 2 pm.

Just a little background about me. I am 37 years old, and I worked as a financial counselor for 13 years in a nonprofit organization. I have a bachelor's degree in Spanish from San Diego State University. I was forced to leave my job as a financial counselor in early 2018 due to an off-the-job injury that was preventing me from performing at my best. For the past year I have been living off of unemployment and savings, and just focusing on getting better health-wise. This position that I am taking at Target definitely pays much less money than the $50,000 annual salary I was making in my previous job, but I am just happy to be able to do something and to be working again. Plus, from what I understand, Target provides full health and dental benefits, which is worth a lot of money in and of itself. The two managers who interviewed me both told me that they were very impressed with my interview and that they would like to see me pursue a leadership role. I thanked them for saying so and let them know that I will do my best to continually advance. It seems like there is a good group of people at this Target and I'm glad to know that the managers seem to like me already..

If there are any Target veterans here that would like to give me some advice, I would gladly take it. I am brand new to the retail world and to Target, so I am sure there's plenty that I have to learn. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just fyi, Target does not provide full health and dental benefits, you have to pay for those...

Interesting, I was told differently. When you say that you have to pay for them, do you mean that Target takes care of a portion of the cost and then the employee pays the rest? Or that Target does not provide benefits at all?

Interesting, I was told differently. When you say that you have to pay for them, do you mean that Target takes care of a portion of the cost and then the employee pays the rest? Or that Target does not provide benefits at all?
Target offers benefits you can participate by paying for them.

Target offers benefits you can participate by paying for them.

Just found this information on benefitspro_Org.

TARGET has solid health benefits that enable its team members to have various basic and complex procedures covered. Besides, it offers solid dental and vision plans where team members can rest count on covered preventive exams as well as some procedures. For bigger expenses. Employees have a solid healthcare spending account at their disposal.
  • COUNSELING: TARGET does not offer counseling.
  • DENTAL PLAN: Team members at TARGET have a first-class dental plan at their disposal and can count on 100% coverage for preventative dental care, as well as some more complex dental procedures. TARGET partially pays for dentures and braces as well.
  • HEALTH INSURANCE: TARGET provides an outstanding health insurance plan that covers all sorts of medical expenses for employees and their families, including hospital stays and surgical procedures.

is the employee responsible for the full cost? Or does Target take care of a portion of it?
Seems like what he is trying to say is that you get a discount on it? As far as I know (could be wrong) it also depends on how much you work. If you only have a few hours, you are not getting benefits. Personally, I don't need their health insurance benefits for now because in my state you can get it for free if you make a very low amount of money (which I do)...

is the employee responsible for the full cost? Or does Target take care of a portion of it?

Ouch I just checked my cost of insurance annually and its about $1300 for United Health HRA with vision. It went up.

If they told you Target will pay the full cost, you were lied to.

Also note that you must average 32 hours to even be eligible for benefits, Target is in a rocky place right now when it comes to getting hours. Screenshot_20190614-213146_Chrome.jpg

From another thread (thanks @Hardlinesmaster.)

From target pay site:

As a Target Stores Team Member, you are eligible for:

At date of hire:
  •  Team Member Discount
  •  Team Member LifeResources
  •  NurseLine
  •  Travel Accident

At 6 months* if you average 19.5-29.49 hours per week:
  •  Vacation- You begin to accrue and can start using vacation
  •  Sick Hours (CA, HI, NJ, NY, RI)
  •  Bereavement (Funeral) Pay

At 6 months* if you average 29.5 hours or more per week:
  •  Vacation- You begin to accrue and can start using vacation
  •  Sick Hours (CA, HI, NJ, NY, RI)
  •  Bereavement (Funeral) Pay
  •  Personal Holidays (up to 2 days)- You begin to accrue and can start using personal holiday time
  •  National Holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas)

Additional benefits at 12 months* if you average 19.5-29.49 hours per week:
  •  Dental
  •  Daycare Flexible Spending Account (Daycare FSA)
  •  Group Legal Plan
  •  Adoption Assistance
  •  Life Insurance (Target Paid, Supplemental, Spouse/Domestic Partner and Dependent Life)
  •  Short-Term Disability (team members in California, Hawaii**, New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island have disability insurance through their state Disability Program, not through Target’s Short-Term Disability Plan)
  •  Long-Term Disability

Additional benefits at 12 months* if you average 29.5 or more hours per week:
  •  Medical
  •  Dental
  •  Vision Eyewear Plan, available with medical enrollment
  •  Life Insurance (Target Paid, Supplemental, Spouse/Domestic Partner and Dependent Life)
  •  Short-Term Disability (team members in California, Hawaii**, New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island have disability insurance through their state’s Disability Program, not through Target’s Short-Term Disability Plan).

•  Long-Term Disability
  •  Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (Healthcare FSA)
  •  Daycare Flexible Spending Account (Daycare FSA)
  •  Group Legal Plan
  •  Adoption Assistance
You, as a TM, help pay for the various (health, dental, vision, etc.) plans through payroll deductions.

Just found this information on benefitspro_Org.

TARGET has solid health benefits that enable its team members to have various basic and complex procedures covered. Besides, it offers solid dental and vision plans where team members can rest count on covered preventive exams as well as some procedures. For bigger expenses. Employees have a solid healthcare spending account at their disposal.
  • COUNSELING: TARGET does not offer counseling.
  • DENTAL PLAN: Team members at TARGET have a first-class dental plan at their disposal and can count on 100% coverage for preventative dental care, as well as some more complex dental procedures. TARGET partially pays for dentures and braces as well.
  • HEALTH INSURANCE: TARGET provides an outstanding health insurance plan that covers all sorts of medical expenses for employees and their families, including hospital stays and surgical procedures.
This info is not totally accurate.
Welcome!

This info is not totally accurate.
Welcome!

Agreed. I questioned it's authenticity as soon as I saw the word "solid" used multiple signs. Red flag!

That being said, Spot does offer decent benefits IF you meet the qualifications. OP, it will be at minimum, a year before you qualify for all the good benefits. Hope you weren't relying on getting those anytime soon, may need to rethink some things if you were.

Welcome to the group!

You seem to have a lot of personal info in your post. Corporate Target really frowns upon this site, and has attempted to close it down several times. It's typically best to remain anonymous here. You may wish to update your post to give yourself more privacy...that may include changing your user id.

You pay 20% percent after you meet your deductible. As for when you will be able to be eligible for healthcare is after you’ve worked 1000 hours .

Welcome to the group!

You seem to have a lot of personal info in your post. Corporate Target really frowns upon this site, and has attempted to close it down several times. It's typically best to remain anonymous here. You may wish to update your post to give yourself more privacy...that may include changing your user id.

Quoted for truth.
I'll be happy to help.
That said.

original.gif

Welcome-Aboard-Devid-Tennant-On-Doctor-Who.gif

I don’t want to be the bad guy, but what you’ve said does not add up. You have a bachelors with 13 years of financial experience and an “injury” forced you to work for an entry level retail position? There’s no other firm or bank that has a position with your experience?

I don’t want to know what said injury was but if it prevented you from being a financial advisor then it’s gonna be a challenge as a salesfloor team member/expert/DBO.

Target might be a bad move for you homie 🤷🏻‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back