Archived Just some TL Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I only work at Target 3 days/week because I have another job (gonna start 4/week next week) and my BR Senior TL told me that she wanted to talk to me about developing me into a TL. I've never had any interest of being a TL until recently and I did tell one of my best friend/co-worker about it, dude is close to the BR Senior TL so I guess he kinda mentioned it to her. Well...I wasn't ready to tell her myself because I never thought she would consider me being a TL. Now, for the questions that I have in mind:
1. How long is the development period?
2. What will I learn during the development period? (please be specific if you can, thank you!)
3. How much is the pay raise?
4. Pressure level? (Logistics)
5. How many hours (maximum) will I get per week?
6. Will I allowed to have a set schedule?

Thanks for taking a look at my post!

1. Depends on how you are as a team member, can be short or long.
2. You need to lead ar a higher level. Begin to make impacts on the store and improve processes. Basically see how your TLs lead and you will learn that. (Sorry that's not super specific)
3. Depends on the position you are offered.
4. I'm not sure yet, I am just getting started as a TL, but so far less stress than a TM.
5. 32 min. 40 max unless your store approves overtime which is unlikely.
6. You typically close one day weekly, alternating weekend of close and opening. Every other weekend off. Might vary by store but that's the general set up.

Sorry if this isn't really specific.

I would keep the 2nd job, if you have regular hours. Spot is known to the roller coaster on hours throughout the year.

First of all, I only work at Target 3 days/week because I have another job (gonna start 4/week next week) and my BR Senior TL told me that she wanted to talk to me about developing me into a TL. I've never had any interest of being a TL until recently and I did tell one of my best friend/co-worker about it, dude is close to the BR Senior TL so I guess he kinda mentioned it to her. Well...I wasn't ready to tell her myself because I never thought she would consider me being a TL. Now, for the questions that I have in mind:
1. How long is the development period?
2. What will I learn during the development period? (please be specific if you can, thank you!)
3. How much is the pay raise?
4. Pressure level? (Logistics)
5. How many hours (maximum) will I get per week?
6. Will I allowed to have a set schedule?

Thanks for taking a look at my post!

I was a SrTL-Replen and before that, one of my many areas was BRTL. Keep in mind "development" is usually a word for "do more work but not get paid any more, and never get promoted." It depends on the store, for the most part. I'm not going to sling a bunch of stupid target lingo at you because I assume you know that already.

1. How long is the development period? - This depends on your engagement level and how much you want to be promoted. It might be 6 months, it might be 6 years. Really it's down to when there is an opening, and when you as a person are ready.
2. What will I learn during the development period? (please be specific if you can, thank you!) - This depends greatly on what you already know, as well as the person focusing on your development. My suggestion would be to sit down with the TL and come up with a list of areas/processes you both feel would be helpful. My suggestion to you would be to learn Recv/Rev Log, Price Change, how to set POGs, and how to ring. These 4 things allow you to have a minimal effort for a maximum impact. Walking by the front and see a line? Hop on for a few people. 5 minutes of your time, huge perceptive impact. Receiver busy and vendor waiting? Check them in, 5 minutes of your time, again, huge impact. Found a bunch of unlocated clearance? Oh here you go, I already marked all of it for you and put it on the line, 10 minutes, but huge impact. You get the point, it gets you noticed.
3. How much is the pay raise? - There is no raise for development.
4. Pressure level? (Logistics) - Log is the single worst position to be a leader in, specifically flow, backroom isn't bad, but most other positions are still easier.
5. How many hours (maximum) will I get per week? - Depends on where you land. If you get a TL position it would be 40.
6. Will I allowed to have a set schedule? - As a TL yes, as a TM no, almost certainly not, unless you're in a B+ volume store for the most part. It happens, but not often.

Best of luck to you. I would strongly encourage you to do some introspection and really think about whether or not you want to lead people. Your success (in any workplace) will be far less about what anyone can teach you, and far more about your communication skills and ability to manage pressure without passing it downward to your team.

My Target uses the standard $10 minimum base pay for TMs. That being said, the base pay for a TL is $14. As a LOG TL, you might catch some shift differential in the early morning as well.

I was a SrTL-Replen and before that, one of my many areas was BRTL. Keep in mind "development" is usually a word for "do more work but not get paid any more, and never get promoted." It depends on the store, for the most part. I'm not going to sling a bunch of stupid target lingo at you because I assume you know that already.

1. How long is the development period? - This depends on your engagement level and how much you want to be promoted. It might be 6 months, it might be 6 years. Really it's down to when there is an opening, and when you as a person are ready.
2. What will I learn during the development period? (please be specific if you can, thank you!) - This depends greatly on what you already know, as well as the person focusing on your development. My suggestion would be to sit down with the TL and come up with a list of areas/processes you both feel would be helpful. My suggestion to you would be to learn Recv/Rev Log, Price Change, how to set POGs, and how to ring. These 4 things allow you to have a minimal effort for a maximum impact. Walking by the front and see a line? Hop on for a few people. 5 minutes of your time, huge perceptive impact. Receiver busy and vendor waiting? Check them in, 5 minutes of your time, again, huge impact. Found a bunch of unlocated clearance? Oh here you go, I already marked all of it for you and put it on the line, 10 minutes, but huge impact. You get the point, it gets you noticed.
3. How much is the pay raise? - There is no raise for development.
4. Pressure level? (Logistics) - Log is the single worst position to be a leader in, specifically flow, backroom isn't bad, but most other positions are still easier.
5. How many hours (maximum) will I get per week? - Depends on where you land. If you get a TL position it would be 40.
6. Will I allowed to have a set schedule? - As a TL yes, as a TM no, almost certainly not, unless you're in a B+ volume store for the most part. It happens, but not often.

Best of luck to you. I would strongly encourage you to do some introspection and really think about whether or not you want to lead people. Your success (in any workplace) will be far less about what anyone can teach you, and far more about your communication skills and ability to manage pressure without passing it downward to your team.

Thanks for the reply, especially on #2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back