Archived Karma for having to work on Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, you'd have to be a shit employee to be fired for that.

The professional thing to do would be to make it clear that you CAN'T work in the first place, if you actually NEED (not want) to have the day off. Or getting your shift covered. But if you're a grunt employee with an otherwise spotless record, and are otherwise a good employee, you're not going to get fired.

Your relationship with your employer is not one sided. You offer your time to them in exchange for money. Unless you're a TL or ETL, you coming into your shift is not "mandatory."

Bingo, also if you request a day off with MT self service in advance it will block that day off for you while they write your schedule. You can ask for a day off six months in advance. Do it! But passively being upset you got scheduled for TG. meh

I am sure someday Target will realize it is not cost affective to open so early since it will be busy for like 3 hours than die down until like 9am the next day.

My store has fired people for all kinds of non-issues. My store is absolute trash. I'm glad that's not true of yours, but I believe them when they give threats. And even if they might be lying, idk anyone who wants to find out what would happen without having a job lined up.

If I wanted it off, they'd have known in May, though. I can't think of a situation where need vs want can be applied to thanksgiving for me, personally. I want it off every year lol, but not enough to call out. If there ever were someone in my store who wasn't working but wanted to, I'd give them the shift. I changed my thanksgiving tradition instead, though. We eat earlier and we changed the venue to our place because it's 10 minutes from tgt. The family takes a small inconvenience, I go to work, and someone else gets to stay home. It's not a bad compromise.

Yeah but I can guarantee you, that you have several call outs every thanksgiving/black Friday, and those people don't get fired.

The smart thing would be to advertise for a 3 hour sale & open JUST for those hours.
Once it's done & sales have stopped, close up until tomorrow at 7am.
Huge amounts of payroll are saved & guarantees a mob in a short time.
But corp isn't smart so, yeh.

But what saleslfoor or cashier is coming in for a three hour shift?

If you don't set boundaries you get run over roughshod. Holidays used to be accepted boundaries. If you toss them away don't complain. (sarcasm- why shouldn't we work anytime, it's what the corporation wants).

It's very hard to fire someone at target once they pass their 90 days.... IF someone calls out on bf they will be hated but can't just be fired, I promise! Target likes to have their asses covered so they can't be sued for anything!!!!! I've known team leaders that called out and still work there. I mean you will be judged and possibly harassed for a while but not fired!

I'm in my third year and I've never called out or missed a shift.

I wonder who else can say that?

They're all under 90 days. They get fired. Always cashiers too. They're asked in the interview if they'll work it, so it's their own fault really. The lady with the redcard talent I mentioned before hasn't been fired. She gets a "talk," though.

A lady who got it approved as a day off in may last year ended up being scheduled and she came to work. She canceled a whole ass road trip to Canada. In that situation, I would've called out tbh. She's been with tgt for 15 years though. If she's afraid to call out, I don't blame anyone else for being afraid. My point was just that people (perhaps not in your store) do have this fear, and it's probably not gonna be quelled by a stranger on the internet saying their fears are invalid, ya know?

I swapped the one shift I didn't want. Worked out perfectly. I only have 8.5 hours between my shifts now, so I can get it all over with then sleep Saturday. Lit.

Consider me a skeptic, because I don't see new hires working Thanksgiving. As if it mattered, if you're on probation, that's different when you're supposed to make your best impression anyway.

My point, is its a stupid fear. Mandatory is not the right term to use here. You need to be clear before hand. Not just passively make a request via eHR, and never mentioned it again, and hope for the best.

What I don't understand is, Black Friday for other stores is basically how the Dollar Store works everyday. Take the slimmest margins/break even on product (which is never even factoring in all the labor and transportation) but do it at a ridiculous volume. If that's supposedly the day the books go from red to black, why not just drop all the pretense?

Well said @Flabbergasted. I applaud the companies that take a stand and don't open on Thanksgiving. I even saw some commercials about their stance on staying closed on Thanksgiving for family or something (I think Homegoods? Marshalls?).
At my store, if you request Thurs/Fri off it will be denied, and if you call out for your shift you will be termed. Unfortunately. that's the line of business we're all in.

Does anyone else agree that reasons we as a company in general "suffer" the way we do or have "declined" in not only the good service we used to provide, but overall quality is by being open on this day?? Thoughts, feedback welcomed!! That and also I feel being greedy and staying open later as well.
I don't think it's Karma, as much as it is a way of showing that the company currently is focused solely on profits. And everything else be damned, regardless if it causes more of a decline in the long run.

Well said @Flabbergasted. I applaud the companies that take a stand and don't open on Thanksgiving. I even saw some commercials about their stance on staying closed on Thanksgiving for family or something (I think Homegoods? Marshalls?).
At my store, if you request Thurs/Fri off it will be denied, and if you call out for your shift you will be termed. Unfortunately. that's the line of business we're all in.

They're not taking a stand, they're making a buisness decision. Stop glorifying the non existent morality of businesses.

I counted and we have 54 people off for Thanksgiving Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back