Archived Keeping team members in one workcenter

Does leadership in your store prevent growth?

• Yes

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Ok, so I've read a number of threads on this site where many team members have tried to work in other workcenters, tried to at least be cross-trained in other workcenters, work on their self development and learn more other than doing just their tasks. What I have seen with some leadership though is that drive and ambition get "snuff" out or kept down. What I mean is some leaders ACTUALLY prevent growth!! :mad: Why are you preventing someone from bettering themselves or their family situation because you won't have your "cash-cow" for your department??!! That's really selfish in my opinion. Feedback from all please.

I'm not really sure, to be honest. All of my leaders heard my pleas to switch work centers, but only got the odd shift here and there and the rest was Cashiering. This summer they've seemed to do a complete turn around and suddenly want me working in a bajillion areas in Grocery. Produce... Frozen Dairy... Consumables... and I've been trying to get into Hardlines now. I'm also interested in trying a day time Backroom position, I think my store has one open. I'm trying to be as flexible as possible, and they seem to be allowing me to. 40 hours of Sales floor seriously beats 40 hours of Cashiering. I worked all weekend with only one 8 hour cashier shift Friday, and Sat-Mon were all Produce/Frozen shifts and I feel so much better. I have no feet pain, I'm not that mentally stressed, I just function so much better.

I was kept in one area for a couple months and now suddenly I’m getting trained all over the place, which hopefully is a good sign lol

I think the right to cross train is earned. Any leader who just let's anyone into their work center is a fool.

We have a tm with hygiene problems who wanted to go to Starbucks. We have a tm who is always late want to do cash office. I think cross training is a privilege not a right.

I think the right to cross train is earned. Any leader who just let's anyone into their work center is a fool.

We have a tm with hygiene problems who wanted to go to Starbucks. We have a tm who is always late want to do cash office. I think cross training is a privilege not a right.

That is also true, although I do know some people who asked to cross train and immediately was able to... actually, just got told that story today by someone in produce. But, he was always working on the floor before as a Cashier and he was good so I'm sure it was easy to say yes.

I agree @HRZone to an extent. Mind you, both you and I I'm sure have seen "carrot dangling" in not only our stores but read about it going on here on this site as well. @BackroomAlpha, I know you have seen such as well. Granted if attendance is a problem for someone, explain that to them. If hygenie is the problem, again, say that to them. Communicate is what Should be done. Don't hate. Don't copblock. Don't be selfish. And DON'T prevent growth!

Last edited:
I've got a kid on Flow right now that thinks if he cross trains everywhere he'll get a promotion next time there's a tl spot open. I suggested his tl explain life to him once I heard that.

We've been very fussy as a store mostly because we're always short tm so nobody wants to make it easy for someone too jump ship to a different department. I've had to swindle, get creative, and beg to get the training in I've got. But after 6 yrs I'm trained for everything but receiving and food ave/ sbux.

I was kept in one area for a couple months and now suddenly I’m getting trained all over the place, which hopefully is a good sign lol
I've got a kid on Flow right now that thinks if he cross trains everywhere he'll get a promotion next time there's a tl spot open. I suggested his tl explain life to him once I heard that.

We've been very fussy as a store mostly because we're always short tm so nobody wants to make it easy for someone too jump ship to a different department. I've had to swindle, get creative, and beg to get the training in I've got. But after 6 yrs I'm trained for everything but receiving and food ave/ sbux.
Whats everything without receiving? That is the life line through which the store gets its oxygen. You are not trained on everything, or at all if that crucial part of the business is unlearned by you, i mean 6 years man, youve been kicking the can down the road for six years, what do you call learning everything? That’s disgusting, after 6 years ,here you are singing to the beat if your own drum. Disgusting!

Whats everything without receiving? That is the life line through which the store gets its oxygen. You are not trained on everything, or at all if that crucial part of the business is unlearned by you, i mean 6 years man, youve been kicking the can down the road for six years, what do you call learning everything? That’s disgusting, after 6 years ,here you are singing to the beat if your own drum. Disgusting!

I've been staring at your response for 5 minutes trying to convey my feelings about your post without being thrown out of TBR. Disgusting!

I've had to swindle, get creative, and beg to get the training in I've got. But after 6 yrs I'm trained for everything but receiving and food ave/ sbux.
Good on you! Most people don't get trained in anymore than 2 dept's if that, if they are not a tl or above. It shows you aren't afraid to try something new and will stick to it till you have learned it that's awesome! The more you know the easier it will be to move on to somewhere else when you are ready.:D

Seriously? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've been staring at your response for 5 minutes trying to convey my feelings about your post without being thrown out of TBR. Disgusting!
Its fine, you can message me directly to convey your feelings.... i dont want the rage eating you on the inside....don't hold back, its ok.

Good on you! Most people don't get trained in anymore than 2 dept's if that, if they are not a tl or above. It shows you aren't afraid to try something new and will stick to it till you have learned it that's awesome! The more you know the easier it will be to move on to somewhere else when you are ready.:D

Seriously? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Sorry that was all autocorrected, I tried to type “good job” and it got auto corrected.

Good on you! Most people don't get trained in anymore than 2 dept's if that, if they are not a tl or above. It shows you aren't afraid to try something new and will stick to it till you have learned it that's awesome! The more you know the easier it will be to move on to somewhere else when you are ready.
its been six years....

Well considering my receiver is the only person I know who is a bigger troll than you... I mean he sucks oxygen that could be put to better use doing SOMETHING. But instead he shoots the shit and sits on his fat ass making everyone miserable. Ups, fedex, vendor deliveries aren't the lifeline for shit. Log maybe, but I can live that life. In six years I've moved just enough. My team leads don't let go of me easily, so any cross training is hard to come by. I sign, my own drum is the only one I need to hear most days. My dtl is down with that so...

Well considering my receiver is the only person I know who is a bigger troll than you... I mean he sucks oxygen that could be put to better use doing SOMETHING. But instead he shoots the shit and sits on his fat ass making everyone miserable. Ups, fedex, vendor deliveries aren't the lifeline for shit. Log maybe, but I can live that life. In six years I've moved just enough. My team leads don't let go of me easily, so any cross training is hard to come by. I sign, my own drum is the only one I need to hear most days. My dtl is down with that so...
Good job , and good luck.

Ok, so I've read a number of threads on this site where many team members have tried to work in other workcenters, tried to at least be cross-trained in other workcenters, work on their self development and learn more other than doing just their tasks. What I have seen with some leadership though is that drive and ambition get "snuff" out or kept down. What I mean is some leaders ACTUALLY prevent growth!! :mad: Why are you preventing someone from bettering themselves or their family situation because you won't have your "cash-cow" for your department??!! That's really selfish in my opinion. Feedback from all please.

It is selfish. You should be a stepping stone and promote your best tm. Unfortunately, it is a lot of politics and favoritism as well. You need the buy in of the stl and as many leaders, if not all of the rest.

My Receiver is a Full Grown Man/Toddler, that legit throws Temper Tantrums that are offff the charts, rediculous. (Put all of the Cardboard Cages (full of Cardboard in Men's once, so he could do the Sweep, after they were put back on the trailer, legit like 12 Cardboard cages(We were Open). While swearing up a storm (but, only in the backroom).

I about laughed my ass off, and owning the Fixture room. I would love that to be that Brazen, the best I have done is leave Carts full of Softlines Fixtures I found in the Fixture room back at the fitting room. :(

He is a DAMN good Receiver though and runs a tight ship, and was always there to get credit/call vendors/etc when I needed him too.

Now he handles all my display donations, crc, and other random shit.

Last edited:
I'm a cashier that's had a few odd shifts in other departments. I've mostly remained on the front end, however, even though I have brought up cross-training many times. It definitely has felt like I've been held back at times, because I am one of the better cashiers. The ETL-SF has given me the impression that the ETL-GE is pushing back a bit on me going to other work centers.

It does look like I am moving to mostly GS, however (next schedule has 4 days of GS on it), and sales floor has been stealing me off the lanes more since they found out that I'm actually very good at doing push. I do almost always get scheduled over 30 hours during weeks that I have no days requested off, and I do have a leadership team that is very supportive of me... so I really can't complain too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back