Keeping things form Team Members

Why is it that the ETL's and TL's seem to think that they need to keep information from regular team members? Maybe its just my store but I don't get it. Why is it that they have to keep someone getting a promotion or transferring to another department a secret? I understand why we in AP have to keep certain things to ourselves, but seriously if someone is going to another store, changing departments, or getting a promotion what is the point in keeping it a secret?

Sorry... ranting here... lol

OP
OP
EvanM07
Yeah politics blows... I'm going to hate that when I get into the Law Enforcement career that I'm working towards.

And really? What kind of things will I find out before my store does?

Formina Sage

Crown stacker champ
Staff member
Administrator
Achieving Excellence 2009, 2011. This is what corporate calls its big yearly plans for "improving" (read: increasing the company's bottom line) things. Many of the changes happen at a store level. Some common changes include organization chart changes, removing/adding team member positions, "fixing" or "improving" store processes through software updates, etc.

Notice how many sarcastic quotation marks there are ;)

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
It depends a lot on what type of people are running your store. Some folks seem to feel that knowledge is power and it's easier to control people by treating them like mushrooms.
Others understand that transparency and open door are not just buzz words.
Unfortunately the first kind of boss seems to out number the second at least 5 to 1.

OP
OP
EvanM07
It depends a lot on what type of people are running your store. Some folks seem to feel that knowledge is power and it's easier to control people by treating them like mushrooms.
Others understand that transparency and open door are not just buzz words.
Unfortunately the first kind of boss seems to out number the second at least 5 to 1.
Yeah you got that one right :/

sometimes the people involved dont want you to know whats going on in their lives, because they dont think its anyone's business and dont want to be gossipped about. its a distraction to the team. most of the time, tm want to know even though it has no affect on them whatsoever.

i know a tm last year who put in a transfer after a nasty divorce from her spouse. she was moving back home. she didnt want anyone to know. the hr told the entire team and told the reason (he was violent). it spread throughout the team and people kept coming up to her, trying to "console" her. she was so embarrassed, she didnt come back to work.

also, sometimes they are waiting on everything to be "official" from the dtl when it comes to position changes. when the company's business mantra is steeped in "adapting to change", you never know whats going to happen.

mrknownothing

purveyor of things
I've noticed that too. One of the GSTLs at my store is very sweet and nice, but she babies us and refuses to let us in on anything (she won't even let the opening cashier join the huddle by the lanes when there are no guests around). All the other GSTLs are a lot more open about what's happening in the store. Also, my sister works in softlines in the same store and she always knows about everything.

I don't know about you all but the peeps at my store, especially overnight, are a little on the sensitive side. We have to be very careful about how we relay information so as not to offend anyone. Sometimes its just easier to keep it on the quiet side. Not saying its right, just the way it is. You can usually tell when we've made a promotion announcement because there is a line of folks at the HR door. Sometimes even recognition at huddles gets us in trouble because we forgot someone.

As far as info about the store in general, its just difficult to relay all the info we get on a daily basis. Not excusing it, just saying that could be why. Our huddles are usually restricted to recognition, sales, the truck size and goal for the night and special events like the united way drive or health screening, things like that. Safety reminders, checking sec locs , gray dots, blah blah blah. Otherwise we would be there forever. Wait we already are, lol!

talan123

Team Member/Troll
Sorry Redeye58,

It's a Simpsons quote, Moe was commenting that never got a title fight because of the politics of boxing (he was called "kid ugly") and the fact that he got knocked out 40 times in a row.

Homer replied, "Lousy Democrats."

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
One of the few quotes I remember.
Just commenting how you always know how to make an entrance &, damn, I wish we had some of your more memorable ones from the other forum. :D
Glad you're finally here.