Archived Keying in coupon value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catfish Rita

Did I close the defect carts?
So at my store we actually don't have very many problems with guests using fake coupons, but rather our problems come in the form of coupons showing up that have a significantly higher value than the item that that register is matching it with. I think I remember seeing a Redwire one time that said to never alter the value of the coupon the register prompts said coupon to be, even if the coupon value is higher than the item. Today we had a frequent flyer guest who bought some $1.79 baby wipes and had a $5 coupon for each pack. The guest also had multiple other coupons that had higher values than some other items but I think you probably get the picture by now.

My questions are 1) I was always told that if the coupon is valued higher than the item, to manually key in the coupon value. Is this the proper thing to do? and 2) Does the store get reinbursed for the actual value of the item, or the value of the coupon scanned if the register matches said coupon with an item?

With love,
'Rita

Last edited:
Your guest was probably using coupons for different products from the same manufacturer. Always read the fine print.

1. Only do that if it's a variable value coupon such as a BOGO or free item. See below.
2. The store gets reimbursed for the face value of the coupon, or in the case of a variable value coupon (such as a BOGO or free item), the amount written on the coupon.

If the coupon is legit and it's a manufacturer's coupon for a specific amount (such as the $5 you mentioned), you leave it as is. Other items in the transaction should offset any potential overage. If all the fine print is being followed, it's extremely rare that such a situation would occur; the only exception that comes to mind is clearance.

If the coupon is a legit manufacturer's BOGO or free item coupon (where you have to write the price of the item on the coupon), there's a glitch in the POS software where the register automatically takes the maximum allowable value of the coupon when you scan it. In this situation, you should key in the coupon manually (K4 Discounts > K2 Manufacturer's Coupon > type the amount) and make sure you write the correct price on the coupon.

If a legit Target coupon is being used incorrectly, the POS is a lot better at recognizing that than if it's a manufacturer's coupon, so Target coupons usually won't cause such issues.

And lastly, if the coupon is not legit, don't accept it. If the guest gets pissy, call the GSTL/GSA and have them explain why their coupon cannot be accepted.

One thing you want to check is if the item matches the item on the coupon, not just that it accepts it when it scans. Often (but not always) the higher value coupons will specify a specific larger size. I know that there is a coupon for a twin pack of contact solution that scan with the single travel size for that brand and to be honest if one gets slipped in for a large order for that item I might not even notice. But when they are getting 4 using 4 coupons and then using multiple of the same type high value low cost items, I am much more likely to scrutinize to make sure they match.

Yes, above. A coupon's bar code includes info to identify the manufacturer, the FAMILY of products it's good on, the value if the coupon, as well as how many units of the product the consumer needs to buy. The bar code is also supposed to include info to identify which specific product needs to be purchased as well as what size. Alot of coupons don't, however. Proctor& Gamble is especially known for it's lack of coupon detail...meaning the coupons scan on alot if stuff they shouldn't scan on.

I've already 'assisted' a guest using a high value Nerf coupon for a gun set on a basic ball and a $3 Pampers diaper coupon on wipes. Looking at the coupon, the items were not allowed but would scan.

Anyway, these websites tell a couponer what coupons to use to get 'overage'. You use the overage to save money on the other items you're buying.

Yes, I'm a couponer.

Thank you all :)

So I can prove this to literally every single other leader in my store, does anyone have any directions to a Workbench message about this stuff?

EDIT ALSO: Do all coupons exclude travel sized items, or would that just have to be noted on the coupon itself?

Last edited:
Thank you all :)

So I can prove this to literally every single other leader in my store, does anyone have any directions to a Workbench message about this stuff?

EDIT ALSO: Do all coupons exclude travel sized items, or would that just have to be noted on the coupon itself?
Has to be noted on the coupon.

We are having issues with coupons at my store and no one seems to really know best practice. Everyone does things differently. If there is information on workbench please let me know.

I was told by several GSTL's that if the value of the coupon is higher than the value of the item, to key in the coupon value to match the item's price (i.e. no overage). Will be keeping an eye on this thread in case someone knows best practice.
This situation is very, very rare though, provided the coupons are being used correctly. 99% of the time when you see this occurring, it's because the item does not match the coupon.

Last edited:
Coupons and Discounts overview on wb.
"Coupon values should not be overridden or adjusted. . ."
Just Google coupons and discounts.

Yes, sorry. Should be the first thing that comes up.

The five dollar coupon for a pack of baby wipes almost got me once. Turns out the coupon was five dollars off baby wipes AND diapers- you had to buy both. It still scanned which was weird, but I knew the lady was trying to pull something shady so I double checked the coupon. People can be so shady.

Coupons and Discounts overview on wb.
"Coupon values should not be overridden or adjusted. . ."
Just Google coupons and discounts.

Makes sense since the coupons get bagged and sent to the clearinghouse, and Spot gets reimbursed based on the weight of the bag, not face value of the coupon.

How does this work?

Spot does his coupons this way. They get turned into a one company for reimbursement by weight. That company in turn sorts them by manufacturer and then sends them to the manufacturer reimbursement. Since they don't reimburse Spot for the face value, they pocket the difference between the face value and what they paid to Spot. Plus there's a few extra cents per coupon that is also reimbursed per coupon. Take a look at the fine print on a coupon to see exactly how much.

Hmmmmm I wonder if that applies to the BOGO coupons? I didn't get a chance to look on WB tonight.

It should only apply to coupons for a specific amount. BOGO and free item coupons should be keyed in manually with the correct value.

It should only apply to coupons for a specific amount. BOGO and free item coupons should be keyed in manually with the correct value.
If you scan a mfg BOGO and it scans for $6.00 but the item only costs $3.50 you are saying what? Void the coupon, do discount, mfg coupon, then key in $3.50? When the policy says not to change the amount of the coupon even if the item the coupon is for costs less isn't that what they are talking about?

You aren't doing an override on the amount that scans initially. Initially no value comes up. When you scan it generally comes up with something that asks you to accept or decline. If you accept it defaults to the highest value allowed. If the BOGO coupon is for more than the value you press decline, discount, mfg coupon, then key in the amount of the item. You then write that amount on the coupon in the little spot. If it accepts immediately at a specific value without manually asking you to accept you leave it as is and don't adjust. You are only manually putting in a value on a coupon that the machine did not automatically accept.

If you scan a mfg BOGO and it scans for $6.00 but the item only costs $3.50 you are saying what? Void the coupon, do discount, mfg coupon, then key in $3.50? When the policy says not to change the amount of the coupon even if the item the coupon is for costs less isn't that what they are talking about?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, all manufacturer's BOGO and free item coupons are subject to that glitch. If a guest uses such a coupon and it's legitimate, key it in manually rather than scanning it, and make sure you write the price of the item on the coupon.

You don't adjust coupons with a set face value (i.e. $5.00 off XYZ). With BOGO and free item coupons, you're declaring the face value yourself by inputting the correct amount and writing it on the coupon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back