Archived Large Bills and WIC!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
as a cashier the other day I had guy give me a $100 bill and then the dreaded WIC guest..
as stated in earlier posts,, I have my 5 minute booklet training on the register and off I was sent off to the wolves... when the guest gave me the $100, I just put in my drawer and he said "wow I cant believe you don't check it" I mumbled something and gave him his change... I have no idea how to even check a bill for fraud and have no specialized pen and of course no training info.. so off he went with his goods with a smile on his face.. prob will come back with more homemade bills... WHAT A SHAME TARGET!!
and then the WIC ladies,,, its ike driving by the seat of my pants... trying to remember what I did 4 month ago.. of course you hate to ask the GSA because it's always like you are bothering them.. you would think you would be a little more patient to the cashiers who are brought up from the trenches of the sales floor..thanks for listening.. and has anyone seen the Target Cashier guide posted online anywhere??

You are fine. I doubt he had a fake bill, if he did he wouldnt joke about checking it.

Depending on your level of theft, what you do with big bills varies. At my store (low theft) we are not allowed to confront a guest or mark high bills with a pen. If its sketchy you are told to notify the GSTL or even better AP.

When it comes to WIC always ask for help. Enough WIC violations lead to fines and are enough to cost your store the ability to process WIC. At my store you will get a corrective action with two violations. That is the GSAs job to help you. Get help

There should be something that's red next to the register on the right hand side, there's like a green and red light. Just insert the bill in there like you would put it into a vending machine and then after it comes back put it under the drawer. Green light means passed, red means fake. However, sometimes you can clearly tell its real and it will say it's red, it's just acting up. It's really not a big deal.
With WIC guests, they should hand you the check first thing. There will be a different K-Key depending on what the check can pay for, I think there's one for produce and baby formula and then another for just general food? Enter the check number, starting and ending date. Ask them to separate all their WIC items from the rest of their purchase (if they are buying other things) so you don't get confused. Scan everything. Write the amount on the check, have them sign it. Hit total, enter the amount you wrote on the check, then press K2, insert the check into the check machine thingy, and the drawer will open so you can put the check in there. I put it under with the big bills. And ta-da!

There should be something that's red next to the register on the right hand side, there's like a green and red light. Just insert the bill in there like you would put it into a vending machine and then after it comes back put it under the drawer. Green light means passed, red means fake. However, sometimes you can clearly tell its real and it will say it's red, it's just acting up. It's really not a big deal.
With WIC guests, they should hand you the check first thing. There will be a different K-Key depending on what the check can pay for, I think there's one for produce and baby formula and then another for just general food? Enter the check number, starting and ending date. Ask them to separate all their WIC items from the rest of their purchase (if they are buying other things) so you don't get confused. Scan everything. Write the amount on the check, have them sign it. Hit total, enter the amount you wrote on the check, then press K2, insert the check into the check machine thingy, and the drawer will open so you can put the check in there. I put it under with the big bills. And ta-da!
At my store the WIC was all in one, it was listed as WIC [something]/wic baby formula. And yeah, it's not hard. The first time I got WIC I had to ask for help, once I saw how easy it was I had no problem. It only took them 1 time showing me how to do it for me to get it. And I believe it was like K-5 or something, under the (extras) I believe. (...wow I've only been away from spot for a few days and I'm already forgetting sht.)

At my store the WIC was all in one, it was listed as WIC [something]/wic baby formula. And yeah, it's not hard. The first time I got WIC I had to ask for help, once I saw how easy it was I had no problem. It only took them 1 time showing me how to do it for me to get it. And I believe it was like K-5 or something, under the (extras) I believe. (...wow I've only been away from spot for a few days and I'm already forgetting sht.)
Yeah the only thing that makes it hard for me is when they grab the wrong things or just throw the WIC items willy nilly in with the rest of their stuff and I have to search for it. Then it's a headache

Yeah the only thing that makes it hard for me is when they grab the wrong things or just throw the WIC items willy nilly in with the rest of their stuff and I have to search for it. Then it's a headache
Yup, Although thankfully all of the guests that I had pre-separate everything with the little red bar thingy, and place the checks atop of the pile of stuff there going to buy. Makes everything nice and smooth.

From what I've heard, there's more stores without those than with.

Oh, my bad. In that case I would ask a GSTL or GSA what you you should do or if you should even treat it differently than any other bill.

as a cashier the other day I had guy give me a $100 bill and then the dreaded WIC guest..
as stated in earlier posts,, I have my 5 minute booklet training on the register and off I was sent off to the wolves... when the guest gave me the $100, I just put in my drawer and he said "wow I cant believe you don't check it" I mumbled something and gave him his change... I have no idea how to even check a bill for fraud and have no specialized pen and of course no training info.. so off he went with his goods with a smile on his face.. prob will come back with more homemade bills... WHAT A SHAME TARGET!!
and then the WIC ladies,,, its ike driving by the seat of my pants... trying to remember what I did 4 month ago.. of course you hate to ask the GSA because it's always like you are bothering them.. you would think you would be a little more patient to the cashiers who are brought up from the trenches of the sales floor..thanks for listening.. and has anyone seen the Target Cashier guide posted online anywhere??

How to Detect Counterfeit Money: 8 Ways to Tell if A Bill is Fake

This is a good article to read about detecting counterfeit. Red flags to look for-

Person buying alot of gift cards with cash
Only buying a small item such as tic tacs
Buying high price electronic items. Who needs 5 ipads, really?
Buying $100 worth of formula with no rebate checks or coupons along with different brands
Laundry soap and toliet paper again no coupons used.

Our WIC has been updated. We don't use paper checks anymore. It's all done via a WIC EBT card.

We don't have that bill machine either. In fact, I've never seen one at any store in my area.

Our WIC has been updated. We don't use paper checks anymore. It's all done via a WIC EBT card.

We don't have that bill machine either. In fact, I've never seen one at any store in my area.
Interesting. All the local Targets seem to have them.
It looks like this but in a fabulous Target™ bullseye™ Achieving Excellence™ red™.
d450NewDollar_large.png

I had to ask for help with WIC the first few times I had them come through my lane tbh. Really though, it's not that hard once you get a handle on it. Yes it can get a little frustrating when the dreaded "This item is not WICable" sign pops up, because then you'll likely need a GSTL / GSA to help you get it sorted out, but a majority of the time, WIC goes smooth. You'll be OK.

I honestly don't understand why target take WIC and food stamps. These government programs, and letting poor people shop in the store, seem to be against the high-end better than Walmart image people have of target.

I understand why there are poor people in the US. A store that has a reputation as being high end and better than its closest competitor should act like it.

Could you imagine the back lash if we didn't accept them though

Not all stores in our area take WIC.
Our state has an anti-competition clause that forbids stores like Target (that are not full/primarily groc) to accept WIC if they are within a certain mile radius of a 'regular' grocery store.
So we catch all kinds of flack when someone tries to use their WIC card at our store (which isn't allowed because we are equi-distant between three chain grocers) but they can use it at a sister store five miles away that is in a groc 'desert'.

you need to be approved for even a pen, let alone the readers.

they're really useless. 5 minutes learning how currency works does a lot more good.

you need to be approved for even a pen, let alone the readers.

they're really useless. 5 minutes learning how currency works does a lot more good.
Yeah honestly I never put it through the thing I just feel it and look at it and can tell pretty quick. But the reader can be useful if you're unsure like the OP

Yeah honestly I never put it through the thing I just feel it and look at it and can tell pretty quick. But the reader can be useful if you're unsure like the OP
The reader is nothing more than a detterent. My store was a pilot store for them, and our counterfeits went down by 80%.

We cannot check bills, just alert after taking. After having a counterfeit ring busted through our store you'd think they'd care...but we are still low risk.

Wic ia different for each state. But every register in a wic store should have a binder at the register to walk you through it. Our local rep was very adamant we not call someone over unless there was a problem, not just because we couldn't remember or were nervous. It could be misconstrued as drawing attention to the fact that they used wic, or profiling them. On the flip side if they continually didnt seperate out stuff, grabbed the wrong things or gave use attitude we were able to call her and she straightened them out.

But we don't have wic anymore. Because our managers disrespected the inspector too many times and didn't take the minumum stocking requirements seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back