Archived Leadership and Christmas Gifts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseyerc

GSTL
Hi guys!

Anyone doing anything special for their leaders in terms of gifts?

Any leaders receive any Christmas gifts in the past from their leaders or team members?

All leadership in my store pitched in for STL’s gift and I am planning something for my leaders and team as well..

I have already received some gifts too from my leaders and team members :)

I have gotten gifts for management but that’s only for the people that I’m actually legit friends with outside of work

Is this really a legit question, OP? Do your leaders give you presents?

The rule of thumb I learned is gifts go down the org ladder, not up. Gifting to your boss (or their boss.... ) could be seen as an attempt to buy favors, etc. Even when I've been involved in a company Secret Santa exchange, the organizers were careful to make sure that nobody had a direct report in either direction as their recipient. And in fact, the CEO stepped out of the exchange entirely to avoid a potential complication.

The GSAs/GSTLs pitch in together and get our ETL-GE a gift at my store. Nothing too big obviously.

Never did anything like that at any of my stores. The ETL’s and STL would do a secret santa for each other but TL’s and TM’s never took part.

Gifts are fine as long as they aren’t excessive. One year I gave my team all gift cards from different places based on what they liked but I let them know it was because of my appreciation for what they were doing that year and in Q4. If you want to give your leader a gift, I assume you could do the same thing. “Hey ETL-GE, I noticed how much time you take with the schedule and I know it’s because you are taking our requests into consideration. You can really see the positive impact on the floor. Here’s something from us and the team to show our appreciation.”

Back when the same group of us broke out soft lines on the floor - so this was a while back - one of the TMs in the group took it upon herself to organize a gift card from the group to our TL. I didn't really want to, partly because my finances were really tight and partly because I just didn't really or respect the TL we had then, but felt pressured into chipping in. So the group gift to a TL is NOT a good idea, imho.
Some of us have given token gifts to other TMs, but it seems to be inconsistent. I've given homemade goodies before. Probably depends on how worn out we're all feeling. Probably won't do it this year though - too many truck days and I'm cooked myself.

I have always given everyone on my team the same small item: each year different but in the past - a made by hand treat basket/Starbucks gift card/special chocolates/coffee or travel mug/yankee candle. Never anything from the store. Reasonable values of $10-$15. Each, ( $20. Gloves the year there was only 2 tm’s on team.) Each year team was pretty small except for front end, so MANY cashiers !
Some years I gave to bosses, other years not, depends if I wanted too. I may rethink that though. I have two items under my tree now for ETL and STL but after reading posts uncertain if I should still gift them if it’s seen as inappropriate.
From who I have received has been very random, some bosses not others. In the past ETL’s have given me: Bullsye Jackets/$25. Gift cards. I was never sure if that was from them personally or from the store. Half the tm’s from my teams have given me gifts. I have been given scarves/pastry/mugs/other token gifts. I have always remembered what and from who though, each item appreciated merely for the fact I was remembered.

Last year, we GSAs bought each other small gifts, as well as small ones for our GSTLs. (As in gift cards in a mug, a candle, all brand.) Beyond that, no.

I give my leaders the following:

Great attendance
Hard work
Good attitude

I think those are the best gifts an employee can give their boss.
Honestly, yeah that's the best gift my team could give me. And I think gifts should generally be from leaders, not for leaders, as someone else already stated. Although that can get extremely expensive if you're buying something for 10+ of your employees.

I've never done it while working at Target, but another job I had, I have my direct supervisor a card that basically said inside "thanks for your guidance" because I learned a lot from her that most other supervisors there didn't give a care about.

Otherwise I've just brought in cookie for the breakroom.

Reminds me of being a kid and trying to pick out a birthday gift for my dad. Tricky because he was the only one in our family with a job at the time, so any money the rest of us had was technically his. Not really a “gift” if I buy it with his money.

Each year I get my team leads gift cards. Usually not more than 40 each. I like to show them that no matter what the year brought, I do appreciate them and what they do for our store and our team. To answer another question I saw, these gifts are out of my own pocket, there is no target program that allows us to expense out Christmas gifts.

Brad-Pitt-67944.gif

When the leads weren't a bunch of cool kids with no time to be respectful of team members I've baked each of them a box of holiday cookies. I've also made baby gifts I've sewn myself. Years the leads forget to even pretend to be nice or I'm burnt out from overwork they don't get their own but I usually bring a tray for the store.

I just like to get cards for people to tell them how much they mean to me and the team. Have a few people sign it too

There were several TLs in my workcenter. We went together and gave our TMs signed cards and small gifts every year, brought food throughout the holidays, and had a lunch for the team close to Christmas. Our TMs were great people who deserved everything we could do for them and much, much more.😁

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back