Archived Learning a Completly New Workcenter

Have you ever worked in a workcenter you knew nothing about?

• Yes

Votes: 29 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

So I have expressed interest in going into a new workcenter for the new year, Plano. I will most definitely check out all threads related to such and learn more about it. My question goes out to anyone that's reading this. How was your transition to a Completly new area? Overnight to Dayside? Front End to Logistics? Softlines to Hardlines? Receiver to operator? WHATEVER the switch was, how was it for you? Easy to pick up?/learn? Please feedback from all!!!

Can you tell us a little about what work center you are currently in?

The workcenter I'm currently in is logistics, Backroom. I'm crossed trained in quite a few different workcenters such as flow, Hardlines,and I used to cashier (Many years ago, I'm very rusty.)

I loved instocks when I started in HR. Loved filling the floor, correcting capacities and making end caps and aisles look good.

I closed the backroom once with absolutely minimal training when one of the frequent backroom closets just disappeared. Someone just spent 30 seconds showing me how to pull, backstock. Then I got another few minutes of Learning how to use the wave from the GSTL and that was it (if that means anything)

@Him - Transitioning to a new work center is pretty similar to what you experience during cross-training except you are now permanently listed under the new work center and will spend the majority of your time there. It is also similar to when you start a new job.

I can share my own experience with you! :)

I used to work softlines at another retailer but then moved over to HR at Target. I needed to learn Target in general plus a load of HR policies and procedures while having to simultaneously cross-train in 2 other areas of the store. It was stressful since I was a newbie and there was so much to pick up on (my coworker, also new, quit after a month).

Anyway, I conquered the transition obstacles by proactively seeking information, multi-tasking, and communicating often. Whatever I encounter that wasn't taught to me during training week, I sought out the details, myself, by asking an experienced person about it or looking it up on the computer. Whenever a whole bunch of people needed me to do things, I wrote stuff down, prioritized the tasks within my workload, tackled each of them, and kept everyone up-to-date on the statuses. My goal was that no one should be ever be left wondering what happened with what they asked me to do. I always followed up with everyone. Most importantly, I made sure my own ETL knew my efforts so it reflected in their review of my performance. After all, my own leader was the one who decided whether or not to keep me so this was vital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back