Archived Leaving Spot (for real this time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTGOz

Suitable
Update to Nuts.

I actually finally, legitimately, and absolutely left Spot. May not be forever, but I feel I'm in good hands where I am going. I'm not going to keep it a secret(and haven't for the last week here) but I've been unemployed for about two weeks, been job searching out of the wazoo, and finally found a job.

A job I really wanted. A job I was willing to not get interviews for in-case I got the call. A job I heard was spectacular with employees. A job that's rumoredly "hard to get" ... I nearly settled for working at a factory for the same pay. Almost settled for a part-time job at $11.25/hr.. and then I finally got the call back.

Costco.

I found employment at Costco.
I've done my orientation already, and did some Membership Training the other day. The store isn't open right now, but is slated for a late June grand opening. Right now, all I'm doing for work is hitting the streets and intermingling with the local populace and signing them up for a membership. My actual department is going to be in the Bakery of all places. I took whatever job they offered but it's not entirely unfamiliar to me.

The benefits get me excited, the membership benefits got me even more excited, and the PAY got me going. $15/hr of all places. I like leadership so far pre-store opening, I like the other employees so far, really got along with everyone I've met.
I was feeling super dreadful putting off a few factory interviews, it was something I didn't really want to do if I could help it, but I'm feeling glad I waited it out and that it paid off.

that's probably really all I should mention but just super excited. Definitely check out Costco if you're ever in the market for a new job. I feel like I just started a new career.

tumblr_m41e2o5nhT1rw7k3jo1_500.gif

Everybody be on that not-Target gravy train lately 👌

May the bread be ever bountiful my dude

The bread will literally be bountiful with me there 😂

I am just unbelievably excited about this. Since the store isn't open they want me to go out and twirl signs for them until we can get into the store but I don't 100% want to do that.. but after my membership sales training I got really excited to try it. I may get to do it this week for a little bit. I have a 90-day period but I am hoping once the store opens I will get eight hour shifts. I met my supervisor for the first time because she overheard me say my position to someone and asked her a few questions about my schedule. Sounds like she's gonna have me start at noon and go until 6:30, but of course I'm going to try and stick around until 8:30pm if it's fine with everyone.

On the topic of over-time.. it doesn't sound like Target where you absolutely cannot get over time, but they're mindful of overtime such as clocking in at your start time, clocking out at your start time, etc.. I'll ask a little more about it because if I get a chance for overtime I will scream. Every Sunday we get time and a half no matter what, and it sounds like I get paid holidays after my 90-days. It's like a retail dream job.

I should mention for a twenty year old guy with no degree or real professional work... not bad.

Last edited:
My best friend works for Costco. They give raises based on hours worked. If you can scrape together 40 hours every week (when they schedule you for less), you will get to those raises faster. Even if you start lower than at Target, you will quickly be making more. The pay bump is automatic. She started at $11 and is at $20 after less than 5 years just based on hours worked.
Yes, 1.5 time every Sunday!

My best friend works for Costco. They give raises based on hours worked. If you can scrape together 40 hours every week (when they schedule you for less), you will get to those raises faster. Even if you start lower than at Target, you will quickly be making more. The pay bump is automatic. She started at $11 and is at $20 after less than 5 years just based on hours worked.
You wouldn’t start lower than Target. Costco starting pay is $15 for service asst positions and $16 for service clerk positions.

Oh the bakery jokes are plentiful lol

Congrats. See if they have PM type positions for me 😂
One of the guys in my group was hired on for Maintenance, he's an outstanding guy. Our membership training leader was talking about how we got hired, what the store manager(general manager)'s mission was, and the numbers we beat to get to this point.

Over 2,000 applicants in the last three months, nearly 60 interviews in the week we all interviewed, and we were the ones they chose. The GM's mission apparently was just "Hire nice people, just really great people who smile, have a welcoming atmosphere, and are a pleasure to be around." and when I met my supervisor she mentioned I was only one of two bakery wrapper closers.. how lucky can I get? When I sat down to wait to get called in for my interview at least five people walked in looking for applications. You can only apply online so if there's a Costco in the area it doesn't hurt to check. Even if there are no maintenance positions open, you can get your foot in the door by working out of a different position and then after 90 days get cross-training ASAP into an area you would find yourself in if you had the choice.

Yup! They were talking to me about being maxed at $24/hr in six years. Of course, I never want to max out and move up, but if I had a bad string of luck trying to move up... $50,000 a year is not bad. I'm not entirely sure what the differences are between being assistants, clerks, or whatever... but if I'm correct it's a seniority thing almost. There's a huge hierarchy and to reach department supervisor you need to get past the first three promotions.
You wouldn’t start lower than Target. Costco starting pay is $15 for service asst positions and $16 for service clerk positions.
I mentioned that to one of the leaders here and they all agreed Target is being overly slow to get to $15/hr, but so is everyone else. Costco is just ahead of the game. I'm just glad I didn't settle for a dip in pay or for working at a Pepsi warehouse picking orders all night long. It sounds really chill and I would have taken the job if I had to.

Yup! They were talking to me about being maxed at $24/hr in six years. Of course, I never want to max out and move up, but if I had a bad string of luck trying to move up... $50,000 a year is not bad. I'm not entirely sure what the differences are between being assistants, clerks, or whatever... but if I'm correct it's a seniority thing almost. There's a huge hierarchy and to reach department supervisor you need to get past the first three promotions.
For her, she'd make $1-$3 an hour more if she moved to management/supervisor. For her, she'll stay at the max and not have to deal with managing. I don't know if managers get 1.5 time on Sundays? She'd rather travel and get plenty of time off when she wants it. She'll go on the most random trips. Some friends decided to go to Cambodia to run a marathon. She said, "Why not?' and went along. She's somewhere up north visiting a park with a petrified forest this week. Another time, she went to Canada to kayak. She ends up traveling to the most distant amazing places. She has no kids, obviously!

She does morning merch and front end. She starts at 4:00 AM and is done by noon. She has done seasonal supervising for the front end at least twice for holidays. She then bumps to $30 (?) an hour for 3 months.

NOT A BAD GIG HONEY!!!!

Just to be factual, supervisors get clerk topped out pay ($25.65) + 1.50, so currently $27.15 an hour. Everyone gets time and a half on Sundays.

Great. I did not know the exact number, but moving to supervisor for my friend was not worth the extra burden.

One of the leaders was talking about getting jumped right up to $26/hr if you promote to supervisor. Didn't know if it sounded ridiculous but I guess Target has hardened me🙅 but glad that's what actually happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back