Archived Let’s say I were to bake some cookies for my cashiers..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseyerc

GSTL
I am a GSTL and I’ve been wanting to recognize my team by baking them some chocolate chip or other type of cookies from scratch because I care about them+they have been doing a lot better than when I first onboarded.. would this be considered working off the clock?

I don't think you'd get in trouble (for working off the clock) since it's something you're voluntarily doing on your own time without an expectation of compensation.

It's a nice gesture and I think your cashiers will appreciate the treats!

if baking food for work is considered working off the clock, that's a world I don't wanna live in.

But in all seriousness, over Thanksgiving, a backroom TM decided he was going to bake 70 Lemon Cupcakes and 70 other misc Cupcakes for the team on Black Friday. He didn't have to, he didn't need to, but he took an entire day to make them, after buying every single ingredient of his hard earned money, and no one complained. I always chided we should have made him some food or brought him something, and it almost sounded like a plan that the store was gonna bring him something the day he left, not sure if they followed through or not.

I make goodies for my team but I don't expect Target to pay me for the time I spend making the goodies. I feel that's what makes it a simple nice gesture instead of working off the clock. None of the stores I've worked at have had a problem with it. My current store has several team members with allergies or dietary issues so I just try to be mindful of them and stick to something everyone can or have different versions, etc. :)

Your bigger problem is keeping other teams out of the plate...etls can smell cookies across the building.

That's easily handled by packaging them up in Ziplocs or something similar and handing them out to each TM rather than putting out a plate. :)

That's easily handled by packaging them up in Ziplocs or something similar and handing them out to each TM rather than putting out a plate. :)
Nope. Unless I carry them with me everywhere the etls always find them. On my desk in the tl office, with a note at tsc, etc. It drives me nuts. The entitlement... you want baked goods then bake some yourself.

I've brought homemade goodies for the store on multiple occasions. The only thing I ever heard from my ETLs about it was "Those were so good, thank you!"

that’s not working that’s a gesture! You can bring them to the break room everyone at my store always brings stuff in!

Nope. Unless I carry them with me everywhere the etls always find them. On my desk in the tl office, with a note at tsc, etc. It drives me nuts. The entitlement... you want baked goods then bake some yourself.

Lock them in a locker. Then you can dole them out as you see fit!

I am a GSTL and I’ve been wanting to recognize my team by baking them some chocolate chip or other type of cookies from scratch because I care about them+they have been doing a lot better than when I first onboarded.. would this be considered working off the clock?

No, you should be fine. If your ETL/STL asked you to do it (like an assignment) without compensation, then there would be a problem. Otherwise, go right ahead with your thoughtful gesture of bringing in delicious cookies! :)

No. It's not part of your job, nor anyone else's. Your bigger problem is keeping other teams out of the plate...etls can smell cookies across the building.
Or the cleaning crew. More times than I can count, when we were having some sort of "potluck", they helped themselves and stuffed food in their purses to take home. By the time TMs got to it, there wasn't much left.

Lock them in a locker. Then you can dole them out as you see fit!
I don't bake in quantities that fit in a locker. Besides I've got a desk... it should be safe to leave stuff there.
Or the cleaning crew. More times than I can count, when we were having some sort of "potluck", they helped themselves and stuffed food in their purses to take home. By the time TMs got to it, there wasn't much left.
I've only got three cleaners and they know better unless invited the day of an event. Day after is another story.

I don't bake in quantities that fit in a locker. Besides I've got a desk... it should be safe to leave stuff there.

If you truly want to share goodies with your team and keep those pesky ETLs out, lock them up. Your desk that 'should' be safe, obviously is not.

You can have the PMT or ETL GE get in touch with their management and it will stop being a problem pretty quickly lol

If you truly want to share goodies with your team and keep those pesky ETLs out, lock them up. Your desk that 'should' be safe, obviously is not.
Yup. It's a constant fight to keep people out of my desk and closet. Ap has my back though most times and will review tapes and speak to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back