Archived Letting family members use discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are family members allowed to use your discount without you present? My Mom shops at Target often and has asked for my discount over the phone and I tell her I'm not allowed because I thought I remembered hearing that but I'm not 100% sure. So today she was there and again asked if she could use it and when i told her no, she said that the cashier said it was fine and that she would put my numbers in. But I work overnight and don't know this cashier so in turn I don't trust her and still didn't give my numbers.

So I wanted to ask you guys to get an answer now...could I get in trouble or even fired for letting family use my discount?

I'm pretty sure that anybody using your discount that is not your dependent can get you in trouble. Dependents even get their own card that specifies that they're not a TM. The exact wording is probably somewhere in the employee handbook you got at orientation or on Workbench. Or hell, ask someone in HR to give you the exact wording so you can hand it to your mom and tell her to knock it off before you get fired.

The whole "putting numbers in" thing is also technically a no-no. My store does it from time to time, but only for cases of "I know you work here because we've worked together and you're obviously on break and so I'll save us both a few seconds by typing it in."

Dependents can get their own card. Nobody else should be using your number. Best practice also states that numbers should not be keyed in.

^This.
Your parents are NOT dependents & cannot use your discount, exception being if you are present at the transaction & are providing payment (even if your family reimburses you later out of sight).
IIRC it's a term-able offense & I'd ask your mom why she's trying to get you fired.

Okay thank you everyone, this is what I figured anyway. It just had me questioning myself when someone from dayside was asking to put the numbers in for her. Glad I went with my first instinct.

Just have your mom give you the shopping list so you can buy the stuff and then give her your receipt when you get home so she can pay you the exact amount back. (I know this is clearly stated against the rules but honestly how would they know lol)
at my store they said it was ok for me to get a RC in my name but linked to my parent's existing RC credit account. so i am paying but I don't end up paying the bill.

Just have your mom give you the shopping list so you can buy the stuff and then give her your receipt when you get home so she can pay you the exact amount back. (I know this is clearly stated against the rules but honestly how would they know lol)

This is the only way to go about it and even with this I have concerns about them returning it and the receipt saying my team member number on it.

Okay thank you everyone, this is what I figured anyway. It just had me questioning myself when someone from dayside was asking to put the numbers in for her. Glad I went with my first instinct.
I have seen a TM fired over this before, so definitely don't do it.

I just tell my mom to send me a list and I buy it myself and she pays me back.

Definitely spouse/minor children only. I asked because my disabled daughter lives with me and I support her, but she can't use my discount because she's legally an adult.

Spouses and dependents.

So I wanted to ask you guys to get an answer now...could I get in trouble or even fired for letting family use my discount?

If you're giving your TM number to your parents or friends or whoever for them to use (especially without you present), enough times to display a pattern of abuse... then yes. Otherwise, no.

Basically, if you do it once or twice for small purchases, then it's likely an HR disciplinary issue (coaching, final notice, etc). If you do it multiple times and/or for high-dollar purchases, you'll likely be termed.

I see nothing wrong with parents, family, friends, or children using the discount. I have let friends and family use my discount since I worked for target and have not gotten in trouble or fired.

Target has much bigger issues that need to be corrected than employee discount abuse. If target does worry about this, which I doubt, maybe they should treat employees better and stop paying slave wages.

I see nothing wrong with parents, family, friends, or children using the discount. I have let friends and family use my discount since I worked for target and have not gotten in trouble or fired.

Target has much bigger issues that need to be corrected than employee discount abuse. If target does worry about this, which I doubt, maybe they should treat employees better and stop paying slave wages.

Yawn. That's the best you have for today?

Yawn. That's the best you have for today?
Why make fun of me? I'm sorry, but I disagree with the group on this issue.
I find it really hard to believe anyone has ever been fired over the small employee discount we get, but you guys can feel free to spread the bs and try to scare.

I find it really hard to believe anyone has ever been fired over the small employee discount we get, but you guys can feel free to spread the bs and try to scare.

I haven't personally seen someone fired for this, but I've seen two people get their discount taken away. Not just the card, but it was suspended in the system according to them. That seems even more strange really. Not sure how that would even work.

Obviously, there are plenty of ways to use your discount to buy things for friends and family and Target will just never ever know. And hey, they're probably not combing the transaction history to see what cards are being used with the discount because that would be a huge waste of payroll. But does that mean they don't have the ability too? No. If there's a reason to, they will. It just takes one sloppy idiot to set off enough red flags to get AP noticing something is up. It's hardly impossible to be fired over this, so why take the risk for such a pitiful discount. because of that, your sever disbelief is kind stupid as fuck. As annoying as it is when someone tried to "scare" as you put it, it's equally annoying when someone is on the other side of the scale just being blindly ignorant.

Also, I always read your name as "Greg Yams."

Oh boo hoo. Troll troll troll

The term slave wages is an oxymoron. Slaves dont get paid.

If you don't like how Target treats you then quit.

If you use your discount immorally you could make good money buying and selling tvs and vacuums on the cheap. Your AP team may suck but mine would report you to the etl hr and we would promote you to guest..

You are wrong as usual. I have handed over the TM# and Store # numerous times to AP from people trying to use the discount card. They always come from other stores in the district. I ID everyone with a discount card if I don't recognize them. Heck, I denied one of our own Team Members since he didn't have his card, and he told me he worked on the flow team. He didn't speak Spanish. I denied him. Now it's a running joke, since he WAS on the flow team. He's a good kid, and we laugh about this all the time now.

I have an employee getting fired for this right now. Just waiting for the apbp to come to interrogate them.
Good. I work mainly for the discount. If I could just use another Team Member's ID, then I could quit completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back