Like a Hat out of Hell

Gujtb1

Work like they pay you... just enough.
So I don't know about you people but I have about had it up to "here" when it comes to the dress code at target.

I'm not saying that I don't show up to work in uniform...no even worse. I show up to work with my red and khaki and the black beanie.

I feel like some background is in order before I progress any further into this story/rant.

I've been a slave (read as: team member) for target for about 5 years now and have held just about every non-management position a not super target has to offer. An operator and bike builder are the only two I don't work regularly.

Throughout my whole career I'm seen with a black north face beanie on my head. Now it's not something I wear for only cosmetic purposes it's on my head for a reason. I regularly grow out my hair and donate it (I'm going to do it again soon for the 3rd time) and the hat helps keep my hair under control until it becomes long enough to put up into a ponytail or something.

The way the higher ups react you'd think I was walking in there with a F*** the police shirt or something. Now usually I'm not one to make waves and working promotional signing there aren't really too many waves for me to make even if I wanted to. For my hat though I'm willing to fight especially since I'm the only one who seems to be forced to adhere to this "brand" dress code rule about hats that doesn't really seem to exist in the employee handbook...well unless I just didn't see it.

So I guess what I'm trying to say here is am I the only one that deals with this kinda stuff on the regular and can any of you think of a way that I might be able to keep the hat even if it's just until hair is long enough to do something?

Do other team members wear hats? Only food team members wear hats at my store. It's an accessory.

While I appreciate your charity, no hats or caps unless it's a medical necessity. A new dress code was introduced last year. But keep up the good fight and I hope they let you keep your beanie.

Edit: Apparently that's the corporate dress code. Not sure if it says anything about hats for team members.

Do other team members wear hats? Only food team members wear hats at my store. It's an accessory.

Not really but some women there will wear things on their head that aren't really dress code appropriate either yet oddly enough nothing is said to them.

It's not like I'm hell bent on just the beanie either. I even offered to wear a hat from café. My whole thing with wanting to wear a hat is just trying to keep my hair under control lol.

While I appreciate your charity, no hats or caps unless it's a medical necessity. A new dress code was introduced last year. But keep up the good fight and I hope they let you keep your beanie.

Edit: Apparently that's the corporate dress code. Not sure if it says anything about hats for team members.

I'm assuming your edit pertains to the employee handbook?

I'm assuming your edit pertains to the employee handbook?
No, it's because I googled "Target dress code" and I saw there was an updated one from last year that says no hats, but I quickly realized that's the corporate dress code. I don't think the handbook says anything about hats though.

And people at corporate can wear jeans also, damn them!

If I were you, and I'm not necessarily saying that this is the "right thing to do", but I would keep wearing the hat.
ETLs come up with stupid rules all the time that they technically can't enforce. I like to kill them with kindness. I smile and nod as they criticize some innane thing that they have a problem with, then I carry on doing what I was doing before. Some people just like making unnecessary changes. But I'm sure they're just trying to scare you into taking it off yourself since they don't want to waste their time on a coaching. It sounds like you have way too much seniority and loyalty for them to do any sort of retaliation. Fight the system!

All our backroom guys wear hats. From beanies to snapbacks.

Of course the backroom team is awesome and target can't really afford to piss them off since they can really fuck up the numbers

The smile and nod trick often works as long as you are a good employee otherwise.
If you've pissed them off some other way they will use it to bury you.

Getting an actual Target hat, maybe from the online store might help your case.
Good luck.

The smile and nod trick often works as long as you are a good employee otherwise.
If you've pissed them off some other way they will use it to bury you.

Getting an actual Target hat, maybe from the online store might help your case.
Good luck.

I don't usually make waves/instigate too frequently at work so I don't think I'm on their bad side or anything. Plus I think my open availability and being cross trained almost everywhere not only makes me useful but it has saved their asses on more than one occasion, especially now that they are scheduling just the bare minimum in my store.

If they sell target hats link something to me so I can see it lol.

I wear beanies on occasion and they don't have a problem with it. I have curly hair and sometimes I'm just too lazy to do anything with it so I use the beanie to make it less obvious that I'm a dude and my appearance means shit to me. It doesn't interfere with my ability to do my job so they could care less.

Remember with the revolving door of leadership, they will all have different rules of what they find acceptable. Your bosses might not mind until a new ETL comes in and causes a stink.

Here's a couple of Target hats.

All our backroom guys wear hats. From beanies to snapbacks.

Of course the backroom team is awesome and target can't really afford to piss them off since they can really fuck up the numbers
Yeah oddly enough the backroom team at my store is exempt from dress code. We have people who show up in jorts and t-shirts and none of the LOD say anything because they are mostly in the backroom. I say mostly because my store is experimenting with a new system for the backroom where CAFs drop at 1 and 3pm and then they just do manuals as necessary and help push manuals. So jorts guy is pushing on the sales floor and nothing happens.

Remember with the revolving door of leadership, they will all have different rules of what they find acceptable. Your bosses might not mind until a new ETL comes in and causes a stink.

Here's a couple of Target hats.
Wow! My ETL-HR told me those didn't exist...you might have just helped me find my loophole lol

I wear beanies on occasion and they don't have a problem with it. I have curly hair and sometimes I'm just too lazy to do anything with it so I use the beanie to make it less obvious that I'm a dude and my appearance means shit to me. It doesn't interfere with my ability to do my job so they could care less.
That's the way I approached it and for a while they were fine with it but then the line up of ETLs changed once we got a new STL and now the STL has the ETLs groomed just the way he likes it. Well except for the ones that were there before him which are my saving grace at this point.

That's the way I approached it and for a while they were fine with it but then the line up of ETLs changed once we got a new STL and now the STL has the ETLs groomed just the way he likes it. Well except for the ones that were there before him which are my saving grace at this point.
I just think it's not a big deal. People I work with have nose rings (myself included) tattoos etc. and you're going to tell me a hat is a distraction? Lol. No.

Yeah see I think you and I are using something seldom seen at Spot and I think it's called "common sense" I may be wrong but I dunno. There is a GSA at my store with two sleeves and no one seems bothered by that. Seeing how there is that weird stigma where tattoos make you appear unprofessional you'd think he would be catching heat but no its me the person who leaves the office 20hrs a week to bail out the front end/ Sales floor because they can't keep people at my store.

Now that I know target.com has "brand" beanies I think that's my next move.

Now that I know target.com has "brand" beanies I think that's my next move.
I'm interviewing for a TL position so I too may need to invest in a crap brand beanie because I'm sure they will want me to at least look like I put thought into my wardrobe.

I'm interviewing for a TL position so I too may need to invest in a crap brand beanie because I'm sure they will want me to at least look like I put thought into my wardrobe.
Hey based on what I've seen you don't have to know how to run a store as long as you look like you know how to run a store.

I don't understand why they would have a problem with it. Do they think a guest would see someone with a hat and think "nope, never shopping there again." It's ridiculous.

Yeah never once has my hat impeded my ability to do my job. Case in point I'm helping out in photo today and oddly enough my hat hasn't stopped me yet from doing my job.

Promotional signing, you may not make waves but you could be driving one. I'm trying desperately for a beanie and Cecil joke but left my sense of humor near N23 1(4) 1-2-7. Anybody?

Hey I checked N23 I didn't see anything. A guest might have picked it up.

Yeah it likes to ramble. Hope you get your attire worked out and thanks for the donations.

Back