Archived Look into collecting snap benefits and partial unemployment

Status
Not open for further replies.
In many states you can collect snap (food stamps) and partial unemployment benefits. If you were working 32 hours a week or more a week at target and now your hours are slashed due to modernization I urge you to look into your states rules. You can collect some partial benefits minus the hours they are giving you. Then send your local media an e-mail mail detailing how target raised wages overall but how you took a pay cut. Wally world took a lot of heat for doing this a few years back. Now it is our turn. When the big news organizations find out about targets bs pay raises, and reports on it targets image will take a blow and if the stock's tumble, the share holders will scream. Ceo exit left of fix it !

32 hours for partial unemployment. You still might qualify for snap benefits in your state.

My state changed the laws a few years back. It used to be that a 20% reduction of hours was enough to qualify for unemployment. But now it has to be 50%.

On top of that, Target COULD try to say that the reduction was only temporary and then you wouldn't qualify at all.

So be careful if you're in a state like mine where the system is set up to heavily favor the employer.

The job market is pretty robust right now. Most target employees are more than qualified for entry-level customer service roles, which usually start at $15 with full time + benefits.
I implore all of you who are struggling to pay bills because of the lack of hours to consider new or supplemental employment.
There are also many trade and career workforce training programs/classes being offered across the country right now, usually underwritten by grants from the US Dept. of Labor so that unemployed/underemployed individuals can attend for free and start new careers. Contact your state or local Department of Labor/affiliate offices to see what is offered in your area.

The job market is pretty robust right now. Most target employees are more than qualified for entry-level customer service roles, which usually start at $15 with full time + benefits.
I implore all of you who are struggling to pay bills because of the lack of hours to consider new or supplemental employment.
There are also many trade and career workforce training programs/classes being offered across the country right now, usually underwritten by grants from the US Dept. of Labor so that unemployed/underemployed individuals can attend for free and start new careers. Contact your state or local Department of Labor/affiliate offices to see what is offered in your area.

This is probably my best bet. I have bad teeth and what most people could get blindfolded I'm pretty sure I couldn't get even with a degree (which I also don't have). Thanks

Last edited:
From another thread.
in 2008 I got unemployment for 2 years, at that time Obama kept extending it... I also got my severance check for 1 1/2 years on top of that.

Here's how to get started applying for unemployment benefits in your state.
To receive unemployment benefits, you need to file a claim with the unemployment program in the state where you worked.
  • You should contact your state's unemployment insurance program as soon as possible after becoming unemployed. Find your state's program by selecting your state in the box below, and check with them to see if you should file a claim in person, by telephone, or online.
  • Generally, you should file your claim with the state where you worked. If you worked in a state other than the one where you now live or if you worked in multiple states, the state unemployment insurance agency where you now live can provide information about how to file your claim with other states.
  • When you file a claim, you will be asked for certain information, such as addresses and dates of your former employment. To make sure your claim is not delayed, be sure to give complete and correct information.
  • It generally takes two to three weeks after you file your claim to receive your first benefit check. Some states require a one-week waiting period; in other words, you would receive your first payment for the second week of your unemployment claim.
CareerOneStop
CareerOneStop
www.careeronestop.org
www.careeronestop.org

Thanks
@qmosqueen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back