Lord of the Rings appreciation thread

buliSBI

Former Team Member
Supposedly the Games of Thrones prequel is in the works. Tells about the events prior to GOT.

There is also a Westeros project trailer going around indicating a modern take of GOT. GLORIOUS. But it was ruled a fan trailer.

Last edited:

can't touch this

Store Meme Leader
I was really bummed out by the last couple of seasons, the writing really a took a nosedive since the show began

Every so often I like to rewatch seasons 1 - 4 because they were the comfiest. Then came the Sand Snakes and "bad poosy". Cringe. Season 7 was just WTF...you guys did notice the characters teleporting all over the place, right? Westeros is supposed to be around the same size as South America, and Daenerys takes all of about 15 minutes to fly from Dragonstone all the way beyond the Wall to rescue the motley crue. I mean unless her dragon can fly at Mach 50 or else Jon, Tormund, Sandor and the rest were literally standing in the middle of a frozen lake having a staredown with the zombies for a week or so

I get that's TV, it's a fantasy world, etc. but that kind of bad lazy writing is still silly for such a big budget show. Maybe GRRM was just gunning for "it's magic I ain't gotta explain shit"

God yes, how did they know how big to make dragon-sized chains, how did they know they’d need them to even make them, where did they get all that material, if they can’t swim how did they even get them on the dragon that’s deep in the water in the first place. Also I’m just mad in general that the white walkers acquired a dragon, Westeros is FUCKED

Yeah but with a dragon the white walkers are now easily able to make it past the wall. And I’m pretty sure their army is a lot bigger than the Westeros army because not everyone cares about fighting them (Cersei :rolleyes:) so they’re easily outnumbered, and they can only be killed with dragon glass, which not everyone has. Their only chance at survival was keeping them out from getting inside the country which was why the wall was SO important because now imo they’re screwed

Even if dany’s dragons kill the night king’s dragon there’s still the WHOLE army which is extremely deadly on its own

can't touch this

Store Meme Leader
Also I think it's funny that Jon was literally raised from the dead but stops giving a fuck after a couple episodes. You don't think that dying and finding out for 100% sure that there's no afterlife (in a setting where pretty much everyone is the fantasy version of Medieval Catholic) would be a super duper mindfuck? I would think that an experience like that would turn anybody into an ultra-nihilist

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope they brighten the last couple of goddamn episodes when they release this season on disc. I don't care how "realistic" it may be, I don't like trying to figure out what silhouette is doing something with another silhouette.

Jon Snow should never plan a fucking battle again. That defense plan was atrocious.
The bad:
1. The enemy is a mindless horde that surrounds and overwhelms. Putting all your forces out in the open with nothing to limit the enemy movements or protect the flanks is beyond retarded.
2. The only trench was behind the defending lines. Thousands of Unsullied that have been training their whole lives for battle could have taken a few days off from practicing to dig an entire network of fiery trenches to funnel the enemy into kill zones.
3. The entire formation was ass backwards. You don't go cavalry---siege weapons--infantry--archers. It's more like heavy infantry--light infantry--archers--siege weapons and cavalry on flanks. To be fair, Dothraki aren't cavalry in the traditional sense of medieval combat but they still would have been far more effective as a mobile harassing force than whatever they had planned by having them in front.
4. Speaking of heavy infantry, greatshields. I don't know how effective they would have been in holding back the undead but it would at least have looked more impressive to have a few ranks of them at choke points in trench defenses. It's not like they don't exist in the GoT universe as the Boltons used them very effectively.
5. The only archers were on the castle wall rather than supporting the infantry.
6. No burning pitch for wall defense.
7. A single ring of archers in a wooded area for Bran's defense. Limited visibility makes archers impractical beyond backing up infantry. It's hard to believe they held off the undead long enough to run out of arrows.
8. Oh yeah, let's also not resume firing the trebuchets once it's clear the Dothraki are wiped out.

The neutral:
1. Not enough air support from the dragons. I will admit the plan did hinge on finding the Night King on his dragon and taking him out so I don't place this in the bad section.
2. The Dothraki charge. I don't think they planned on having the Dothraki go full "Leeroy Jenkins" and I have no idea what the plan was for them. It looked to me like they decided to do their own thing which was make a bunch of noise to intimidate the enemy while charging. Jorah had a look on his face that basically said "Uhh, shit. Guess we're going" even though it appeared he was supposed to be in command.
3. The crypt. Yeah it turned out to backfire hiding in there but there's no way to know if the Night King could animate all corpses or only fresh ones. Not only that, it was kinda weird that they were able to punch through concrete to get out but the wight they captured last season couldn't break out of a wooden box.

The good. Tactical wise, not very much but individual acts and the acting behind it made the episode awesome despite the utterly stupid defense.
1. Motherfucking Lyanna Mormont taking out a giant after getting crushed in its hand.
2. Arya's spear fighting.
3. Melisandre lighting up the Dothraki weapons and the trench. The fear in her face during the trench scene was brilliant.
4. The absolute discipline of the Unsullied in the entirety of the battle. I got a hard on every time they did their "OOH" noise.
5. Jorah's last stand.
6. Theon's last stand.
7. Arya appearing out of nowhere to shank the Night King.

Overall, the Starks were saved by pure dumb luck again. The Night King was basically MIA the whole time and only appeared when the plot needed him to be there. If he had just hung out in the back constantly raising up fallen defenders, Winterfell would have fallen.

buliSBI

Former Team Member
My GOT bets are:
Jon kills Danny to keep her from destroying Kings Landing.
Jamie and Cersei kill each other.
Aria and Dog kill the Mountain.
Tyrion finally marries Sansa FOR REALS.
Gendry wins the GOT.

Bran is really warging out since battle with the Whitewalkers
He is looking into the future.
He learns how to defeat Cersei and keep Danny from going mad.

Bran wakes up from a bad dream.
He is a kid again.
He can walk.
Ned is still alive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm betting King's Landing gets destroyed by either dragon or wildfire. I'm thinking Dany's vision in season 2 of the destroyed Red Keep was actually ash falling and not snow. I'm also leaning towards Arya killing Jaime and using his face to kill Cersei.

Did they really fucking think that they would be able to waltz back into Dragonstone with no resistance? I was kinda surprised that the whole fortress wasn't being held against them.

Aerial reconnaissance? What the fuck is that? How in the fuck did she not see the ships long before entering ballista range? They obviously had line of sight. Why did she not bank behind the islands Euron was sitting between and strafe them from behind of the flank?

I know, I know. The plot demands that her forces continue to dwindle so she gets desperate and angry.

And Sansa really needs to lighten up. I wouldn't be so quick to be pissing all over the person that just saved your ass.

can't touch this

Store Meme Leader
The earlier seasons really tried to play up how ridiculously OP dragons are and it was implied that a house with dragons automatically wins. Then not very much later 2 of the world's first 3 dragons in 300 years not only get killed off, but one-hit by an aimbotting ice demon and pirate lord, respectively. Surely there were more imaginative ways to subvert expectations.