Archived Market Teams: Is it OK to eat QMOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alot of QMOS from my food ave is given to employees including executives who also get free soda cups it seems like.

I was told that QMOS'd food should not be eaten by anyone. There's a reason it was QMOS'd in the first place - if it's not good enough for the guest, how is it good enough for the team? Food for the team should be requisitioned, not QMOS'd.

Pizzas are suppose to get thrown out every 20 minutes at pizza hut express stores, after 20 minutes boy do those pizzas still look so good especially if you're hungry.

When I am throwing away boxes and old signage, there will sometimes be a cart of defected food sitting in the back to be tossed. If the compactor is open and the stuff is something that still looks edible, I'll eat it. I hardly see how eating a day old Keebler Pecan Sandy I am about to throw away is theft. I understand the case against it, but I personally did not cause the product to be defected. Therefore, I am only stealing from the compactor. He's cool ... he'll share.

I see it like this. Once you put trash out by the road for pick-up. It is legal, at least in my area, for anyone to go through it. That isn't stealing. So, for me to eat food that is barely outdated ... I have no problem with it.

Once, the magazine distributor accidentally sent us a box of old maps and atlases. The vendor couldn't put them out because there were newer versions already on the shelves. She contacted her office and they said to toss them. We didn't even have to scan them out or anything because we don't own them I guess. So, I am at the compactor throwing away all these. What a waste! I set a couple aside in my cart. Later, I asked someone (can't be more specific, sorry) if I could have them. He let me have them. No biggie.

Now, intentionally creating defects or overmaking food ave products. That is another story.

By the way, we aren't pfresh or super. But, if the bananas are going in the trash regardless, why not eat them? Or make banana bread! If it isn't costing money, already accounted for, I don't see the issue.

Last edited:
I dare you run this question by any APBP. LOL. They will laugh in your face. It's theft. The end. Don't do it. You are allowed to sample food (that's actually an option on the QMOS function), but putting QMOS in the breakroom.....there couldn't be a bigger no no. I don't care what your exec's say!!!

I dare you run this question by any APBP. LOL. They will laugh in your face. It's theft. The end. Don't do it. You are allowed to sample food (that's actually an option on the QMOS function), but putting QMOS in the breakroom.....there couldn't be a bigger no no. I don't care what your exec's say!!!

Our APBP is cool. I talk to him all the time(Everytime something bad happens my STL wants him contacted). He's the type of person who would say yes you could(even if you cant) and ask you to eat it in his face...then tell an ETL to Fire you anyway because you knew it was wrong lol.

We donate quite a lot of QMOS from produce, bakery, frozen and dry grocery at my SuperTarget. The donations get picked up every day we are open. Nothing gets donated from deli or Target Cafe (not sure why--I don't know if its a Target thing or if it has to do with the receiving agency). I don't know if meat or dairy donates or not. I'm sure whether or not your Target donates depends on local regulations and the availability of an agency to which to donate and what they are willing to take. Sometimes an unusually large amount of something will get QMOS'd at one time and often that product will get shared with the team. It will either get put in the breakroom or, if it's the end of day when it's being pulled, TMs can take it home with them. This only happens when there is enough to share with many TMs. Otherwise eating QMOS is officially frowned upon--although it happens plenty and anyone witnessing it looks the other way and leadership and AP pretends they don't know about it. This is just what happens at my store and I am only talking about stuff that was going to be QMOS'd anyway. There may individual leaders within Target who would make a stink if they caught a TM eating QMOS because they like to be the rule police, but I seriously doubt if Target as a company has any real interest in coming down on this rule in an across the board way. "Target Would Rather Throw Away Food Than Let Employees Eat It" is hardly a headline they'd want.

My advice to anyone planning to eat QMOS is just be careful what you choose. Don't eat anything that hasn't been continuously held at proper temp and don't eat anything that left the building or might have made contact with the floor. For example, we defect lots of candy at the service desk because the bags were open and the TM who cleaned up might have just scooped up what was on the floor and dumped it back into the bag. Just a warning.

Ya...if it is marked out allready you should not eat it. We donate alot of stuff to our food bank. If they cant use certain things from produce to feed people they use it for a compost/mulch. We also are allowed to donate any bakery items that are damaged or out of date. Any dry product that is out of date, and any freezer product that is out of date. The only thing we really dont donate is alot of the items in the dairy cooler. We even finally were allowed to donate the ground meat, chicken, and random weight meats, which is nice instead of tossing them away. We have to freeze them and then they take them =).

If I have a lot of something I might ask if we can requisition it for the team but that is about the only time it hits the breakroom. I know a few times my TL has put some chips that were close to being expired in the breakroom but idk if they were requisitioned or qmosed. I do wish we could put liquids in the breakroom though. Its such a pain dumping something out with an outdate of the next day, still perfectly fine to drink, and just wasting it. Also we basically QMOS anything that expires the next day. They had changed this from before because it used to be like 4-7 days or something like that when I started 2 years ago but I think about a year ago, maybe a little more they changed it to 1 day out, which is what the SDA catches now.

The AP team at my store grabs soda cups and we even have a certain one come by atleast once during his shift to pickup and QMOS'd pizzas or pasta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back